• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,511 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2023 at 6:09 PM, Changer said:

wow, didnt expect this to sell at that price ?

SOLD ON DEC 10, 2023 FOR: $960.00

Crown Comics #6 (McCombs Publishing, 1946) CGC VG- 3.5 Cream to | Lot #13091 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Wow, that seems kind of stiff for that one but…(shrug)

I can see this one bringing some money. My favorite in the run and seldom seen. Not my copy. 

IMG_7905.jpeg

On 12/13/2023 at 10:39 PM, Point Five said:

This is kind of awesome. Just found a blatant swipe of Baker's cover for Diary Secrets #17 (April 1953) on the first page of Romantic Adventures #41 (January 1954). Eh, close enough!

diarysecrets17-cgc6.5crop.thumb.jpg.a7a4c08d0d5fc77dba63cc67d818b90d.jpg

IMG_0082.thumb.jpg.12181e7503976e9ec1dc6a0c28fb10c0.jpg

Crazy find, nice one. Makes me wonder what other hidden swipes are out there.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, LadyDeath said:

Crazy find, nice one. Makes me wonder what other hidden swipes are out there.

Right? When I have time I'll check the rest of the story.

In the swipe panel I'm curious too about the running couple in the background. I'm thinking it's more likely than not that they were grabbed from a different beach cover.

On 12/14/2023 at 8:11 AM, Point Five said:

Right? When I have time I'll check the rest of the story.

In the swipe panel I'm curious too about the running couple in the background. I'm thinking it's more likely than not that they were grabbed from a different beach cover.

Looks familiar...

On 12/14/2023 at 10:45 PM, Yorick said:

Looks familiar...

I thought so too. The carefree/running body language of the couple kind of suggests a poor man's version of Baker, but I glanced at Baker's other beach covers (the ones I remember, anyway) and didn't see a clear match. 

And FWIW, the whole Romantic Adventures story is bursting with swipes... lots of couples embracing and kissing... but I didn't see any other obvious swipes of Baker specifically. Ah well.

On 12/17/2023 at 11:18 PM, Changer said:

Teen-Age Romances #33 (St. John, 1953) CGC Apparent VG 4.0 Slight | Lot #15297 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

I knew this was a tough book but the restored price normally aint high at all, new collectors coming from Heritage market? 

That price is out-of-line for a restored book, unless the buyer can undo the restoration without further damage.       

The spine split negatively affects the grade, and the existence of tape negatively affects the grade. If the tape can be removed without worsening the spine split, the book should get a blue label and and a possible grade bump. 

Might have been a better idea to buy the TAR 33 CGC 4.5 blue label that's on the Bay right now for only $445 more. 

Edited by MBFan

On 12/17/2023 at 10:15 PM, MBFan said:

That price is out-of-line for a restored book, unless the buyer can undo the restoration without further damage.       

The spine split negatively affects the grade, and the existence of tape negatively affects the grade. If the tape can be removed without worsening the spine split, the book should get a blue label and and a possible grade bump. 

Might have been a better idea to buy the TAR 33 CGC 4.5 blue label that's on the Bay right now for only $445 more. 

Seems like a discrepancy between ebay and heritage , Buy on ebay sell on heritage ? 

will be interesting to see where this ends up  

1953 TEEN-AGE ROMANCES 33 CGC 4.5 GoldenAge Black Artist Matt Baker GGA Baseball | eBay

On 12/18/2023 at 1:15 AM, MBFan said:

First Baker I ever bought and I’ve been hooked ever since. 

Edited by Mavrick76

On 12/17/2023 at 11:18 PM, Changer said:

Teen-Age Romances #33 (St. John, 1953) CGC Apparent VG 4.0 Slight | Lot #15297 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

I knew this was a tough book but the restored price normally aint high at all, new collectors coming from Heritage market? 

Same crowd that's dropping large coin on Golden Record Reprints?

On 12/17/2023 at 10:23 PM, Changer said:

Seems like a discrepancy between ebay and heritage , Buy on ebay sell on heritage ? 

will be interesting to see where this ends up  

1953 TEEN-AGE ROMANCES 33 CGC 4.5 GoldenAge Black Artist Matt Baker GGA Baseball | eBay

Spine is sooo ragged on that one.  I guess it must be the ONLY defect in order to achieve that high a grade....  It bothers me.  (shrug)