• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,592 posts in this topic

Baker bondage and sexy!

j25.jpg

Love it. I wonder what Baker thought of Xela's jungle bondage covers? This one has a bit of Exciting #59 to it, and Seven Seas #4 is a lot like Exciting #60. Actually now that I look it up, it seems Schomburg's covers were 1948 while Baker's were 1947, so maybe Schomburg was inspired by Baker?

I got mine as well. Lots of visuals and OA, but as mentioned, relied heavily on AE article and interview.

Great seeing the original art for the cover of Seven Seas 6.

Not definitive. Maybe there's still room for another Baker book.

What do boardies think about these Matt Baker books? The Amazon review for book 3 was really bad, "Worst reprint volume I've ever seen." The books look like a printed version of Matt Baker public domain comics from the Digital Comic Museum, with incomplete stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Matt-Baker-With-Love-Golden/dp/1478221399/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354580550&sr=8-3&keywords=matt+baker

http://www.amazon.com/Matt-Baker-With-Love-Issue/dp/1479210382/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1354580550&sr=8-6&keywords=matt+baker

http://www.amazon.com/Matt-Baker-Love-Issue-Volume/dp/1479252956/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1354580550&sr=8-4&keywords=matt+baker

What do boardies think about these Matt Baker books? The Amazon review for book 3 was really bad, "Worst reprint volume I've ever seen." The books look like a printed version of Matt Baker public domain comics from the Digital Comic Museum, with incomplete stories.

Full review: " Worst reprint volume I've ever seen November 19, 2012

By The Bibliophile

Amazon Verified Purchase

Truly terrible product. Simply reprints a lot of bad scans from the Internet with no attempt at restoration. Furthermore, this collection also often only reprints partial stories (three or four pages) and then ends abruptly (what kind of book only reprints the first few pages of a seven or eight page story?!?). Horrible layout, with nearly four comic book pages squeezed onto one of this book's smallish pages. This book feels like a complete cash grab, and is a dishonor to the artist and his fans. Couldn't imagine being more disappointed...avoid at all costs."

If what this review says is true, then it sounds like a book to avoid. That's a shame because the Sky Girl stories are some classic Baker.

I've heard of these, I've also have heard of PL reprints from the U.K.

It shows the desire for his work, even in inferior formats. In time he will be acknowledged as one of the top 5 comic book greats, if he isn't already. I wonder if he would be surprised by the acclaim?

Got my copy, the last Baker (alter ego #47) book and this new one mention Matt Baker work on 132 Flamingo Strips but i own num #133?

nice to see new Baker OA but mostly reprints from Alter Ego#47.

mattbaker.jpg

I wish more of the book could have been in color with a more quality card stock but Shaun Clancy made some awesome contributions to the book. He unearthed a lot of new information. It was some great detective work to find Matt Baker's best friends.

^^ Joanna you also did a good job. Shaun did a nice job with those interviews, new info on Baker's personal life.

Thank you, much appreciated! It was a great honor to be able to interview Mr. Robinson.

Just received my copy. Great stuff and essential for Baker fans. Looking through the very extensive checklist made me push back the timeframe for completing my Baker collection from years to decades. lol

Another recent find, one of Baker's very best romance covers, IMO. Also a great example of how his "teen-age" males often look like adult men in their late thirties.

tar42.jpg

Well, no one was saying the guys were teenagers.

Another recent find, one of Baker's very best romance covers, IMO. Also a great example of how his "teen-age" males often look like adult men in their late thirties.

It's the title of the book!!!

:makepoint:

It's the title of the book!!!

:makepoint:

Whether the guys are teenagers is unimportant.

tar42.jpg

That is gorgeous. Look at how fluid the clothing is on those people and how natural they look while standing there.

tar42.jpg

Female is probably a 36. :insane:

Got my copy, the last Baker (alter ego #47) book and this new one mention Matt Baker work on 132 Flamingo Strips but i own num #133?

nice to see new Baker OA but mostly reprints from Alter Ego#47.

mattbaker.jpg

I wish more of the book could have been in color with a more quality card stock but Shaun Clancy made some awesome contributions to the book. He unearthed a lot of new information. It was some great detective work to find Matt Baker's best friends.

^^ Joanna you also did a good job. Shaun did a nice job with those interviews, new info on Baker's personal life.

Thank you, much appreciated! It was a great honor to be able to interview Mr. Robinson.

Finally ordered a copy, should be here tomorrow for some fun weekend reading.

tar42.jpg

That is gorgeous. Look at how fluid the clothing is on those people and how natural they look while standing there.

After looking at a lot of Baker lately, I would say his one weakness is his drawing of hands. He does decent a job on this cover -- although still a bit weak compared with how exceptional the rest of the drawing is -- but sometimes his hands are pretty awful.

After reading the new Baker book, there were clearly periods where he was swamped with assignments. At times he worked through the night, according to the recollections of his nephew, who lived with him for a while. Perhaps he didn't have the time to finish some of the drawings the way he would have liked to. Or perhaps rendering hands was just something he never quite mastered.

I can't remember whether I'd posted my copy, but here goes, and yes it is a classic. In the Baker lexicon it is refered to as the "autumn " cover.

teen-ageromances42-1.jpg

Could this be the "Winter" cover?

cl27b.jpg

Is there a "Spring" and "Summer"? (How about Diary Secrets #27 as one of those?)

After looking at a lot of Baker lately, I would say his one weakness is his drawing of hands. He does decent a job on this cover -- although still a bit weak compared with how exceptional the rest of the drawing is -- but sometimes his hands are pretty awful.

Strange, I don't know that I've ever noticed bad hands by Baker.

???

Strange, I don't know that I've ever noticed bad hands by Baker.

???

Matt "Bad Hands" Baker is what they used to call him at art school!

I can't remember whether I'd posted my copy, but here goes, and yes it is a classic. In the Baker lexicon it is refered to as the "autumn " cover.

teen-ageromances42-1.jpg

Could this be the "Winter" cover?

cl27b.jpg

Is there a "Spring" and "Summer"? (How about Diary Secrets #27 as one of those?)

DiarySecrets2750Overstreetcopy.jpg

Flowers in bloom might signify Spring. . Note the near-sequential publication dates.

Edited by alanna