• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,587 posts in this topic

If we are opening the door a crack, I'll make another pitch for the Romantic Confessions 6 that I posed a few pages back.
We jammed that door closed, locked it and threw away the key. :baiting:

There's a story I heard years ago about Heinrich Schliemann, the discoverer of Troy. At one point, he convinced himself that he had dug up Agamemnon's skull. His assistants gave him many good reasons why the skull was unlikely to be Agamemnon's. Finally, in exasperation, he said: "If it isn't Agamemnon's skull, whose skull is it?"

Echoing, Schliemann, if Baker didn't draw the cover for Romantic Confessions 6, who did?!

Seriously, I don't know much about the community of romance artists in the 1950s (apart from what I've read in the Baker book), but it sure looks as if there must have been some who were doing their best to copy Baker. I also looked at the copies of Lovelorn currently up on eBay and there are a few others that seem Bakerish (as Overstreet might put it) right down to the webbed fingers.

Picasso once said, "I am a magpie. I take the ideas of others - but improve upon them."

We say "Bakerish" because in retrospect he is the artist we most admire. But the tropes and idioms of romance comics would have existed without him, though in the hands of lesser artists.

What?! Without Baker there is nothing!

Michael, You realize you are close to being banned from this thread! lol

I'm an iconoclast by nature.

If we are opening the door a crack, I'll make another pitch for the Romantic Confessions 6 that I posed a few pages back.
We jammed that door closed, locked it and threw away the key. :baiting:

There's a story I heard years ago about Heinrich Schliemann, the discoverer of Troy. At one point, he convinced himself that he had dug up Agamemnon's skull. His assistants gave him many good reasons why the skull was unlikely to be Agamemnon's. Finally, in exasperation, he said: "If it isn't Agamemnon's skull, whose skull is it?"

Echoing, Schliemann, if Baker didn't draw the cover for Romantic Confessions 6, who did?!

Seriously, I don't know much about the community of romance artists in the 1950s (apart from what I've read in the Baker book), but it sure looks as if there must have been some who were doing their best to copy Baker. I also looked at the copies of Lovelorn currently up on eBay and there are a few others that seem Bakerish (as Overstreet might put it) right down to the webbed fingers.

Picasso once said, "I am a magpie. I take the ideas of others - but improve upon them."

We say "Bakerish" because in retrospect he is the artist we most admire. But the tropes and idioms of romance comics would have existed without him, though in the hands of lesser artists.

What?! Without Baker there is nothing!

Michael, You realize you are close to being banned from this thread! lol

I'm an iconoclast by nature.

(thumbs u

Does anyone else think this is a Baker cover? It's contemporaneous with Brides Romances #7 and Love Secrets #40 (Sept. '54), two Quality romance covers more easily recognized as Baker's. This one's not as polished, though, it looks more like a splash page than a cover, but everything about the composition and the figures' anatomy looks like Baker to me.

136775.jpg.099db0c7b634a6f32e0feb973272a249.jpg

That cover is very consistent with Baker's work, though not as high quality as his usual work for St John.

Does anyone else think this is a Baker cover? It's contemporaneous with Brides Romances #7 and Love Secrets #40 (Sept. '54), two Quality romance covers more easily recognized as Baker's. This one's not as polished, though, it looks more like a splash page than a cover, but everything about the composition and the figures' anatomy looks like Baker to me.

It strongly resembles Baker to me .... or possibly Schliemann. ;)

Edit to add: The checklist in the Baker book does list it as his work.

Edited by Sqeggs

It strongly resembles Baker to me .... or possibly Schliemann. ;)

Edit to add: The checklist in the Baker book does list it as his work.

Cool, I didn't know that, just knew Alter Ego #47 didn't list it.

This one is kind of interesting. hm

I always wondered if any OA that survived from this.

It would be interesting to know. Is there much Baker OA around? I haven't seen much since I began paying attention, but I haven't been paying attention that long.

This one is kind of interesting. hm

I always wondered if any OA that survived from this.

It would be interesting to know. Is there much Baker OA around? I haven't seen much since I began paying attention, but I haven't been paying attention that long.

There isn't much for sale.

How much exists remains to be seen.

This is the second APC 18 that I have owned. This one was an upgrade from a real low grade copy I traded away years ago. I would say it is a HTF issue.

Has a decent Baker story "Murder in Mink".

photo AUTHPOLICECASES18_zps74abc406.jpg

Cannot go wrong with Cinderella Love. While 25 is the holy grail, these other issues aren't slouches either.

photo CINDLOVE27-1_zps2606713f.jpg

photo CINDLOVE28-1_zpsdf5072dd.jpg

photo CINDLOVE29_zps15c771cb.jpg