• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

To this day, I still don't have a TR 9 or 10. They're the only TR issues I'm missing.

But TT 8??? Come on! I've seen dozens of those! (Yours is pretty darn nice, though.)

Oh come on, dozens? There aren't any at conventions, and I have been to quite a few recently. Maybe one on Ebay last year. I think it's the toughest TAT issue.

Let me pass on this story to yah' all. I use to set up at some of the NY Creation Cons back in the early 1980's. It was either one of the Koch brothers or G. Dolgoff that came up to me with a short stack of TAT number ones. I bought two copies at $25 apiece. Since I was not a Baker collector back then, I traded or sold them off at some point. They were all in nice VF conditions.

I don't collect Baker books, but I like the cover on TT8 and it has a reefer story, which I do collect.

I had an easy time finding a VG back in the late 90s, and bought another one on the boards pretty cheap about 10 years ago, it was up for at least a day before I bought it. I flipped it on ebay for less than $100 a while later. I'm guessing it's harder to find now because Baker is so popular, and being a better than average cover with the dope story, it stays in collections. There are a lot of books like that, but when the prices get high enough they start showing up.

To this day, I still don't have a TR 9 or 10. They're the only TR issues I'm missing.

But TT 8??? Come on! I've seen dozens of those! (Yours is pretty darn nice, though.)

Oh come on, dozens? There aren't any at conventions, and I have been to quite a few recently. Maybe one on Ebay last year. I think it's the toughest TAT issue.

Let me pass on this story to yah' all. I use to set up at some of the NY Creation Cons back in the early 1980's. It was either one of the Koch brothers or G. Dolgoff that came up to me with a short stack of TAT number ones. I bought two copies at $25 apiece. Since I was not a Baker collector back then, I traded or sold them off at some point. They were all in nice VF conditions.

I don't collect Baker books, but I like the cover on TT8 and it has a reefer story, which I do collect.

I had an easy time finding a VG back in the late 90s, and bought another one on the boards pretty cheap about 10 years ago, it was up for at least a day before I bought it. I flipped it on ebay for less than $100 a while later. I'm guessing it's harder to find now because Baker is so popular, and being a better than average cover with the dope story, it stays in collections. There are a lot of books like that, but when the prices get high enough they start showing up.

I just know that I've seen quite a few of them over the years. I'd say TT 3, 4, and 9 are some of the most seldom seen issues.

tat9H_zps5818249e.jpg

Possibly my favorite cover. This ended up slabbing as a 7.5.

Scan-141012-0001_zps4138f293.jpg

There are five higher graded copies; I would love to pick up one of them. Not $10K love, though!

I was looking at the latest Overstreet, which breaks this issue out at a higher price and gives it the "Classic Cover" designation. Doesn't break out issue 6, however, even though there are people who prefer it to 4. Overstreet, of course, is not a good guide to Baker values.

Sweet copy!

Yeah... as much as I love this cover, I love the cover to SS 6 even more. That's the one I think should get the "classic cover" designation.

That TT 9 is one of the 6th street books, ain't it?

I only picked up one of the 6th Street books. To this day, I wish I'd also picked up the Teen-Age Romances 33 from that collection. It was either 6.0 or 6.5, a gorgeous copy, and the price was relatively reasonable.

PictorialRomances21_6st_a_zps6eb4fc92.jpg

The Seven Seas title was very well done...... those first two can be screaming bargains for those who go the Mylar route and still like flipping through them.... but I also understand the appeal of the slab. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You mean this old thing? The only Sixth Street book I got and wish I had more.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

That's the one.

:cloud9:

I see you liberated it. What was the grade, again? Thought it was 6.5, but it sure looks nicer than that.

Edited by 29dukedog

Many South Street books had bends, storage warping and dust that could be removed. I bought about a dozen of them and they all look better than the technical grade and could be improved if someone was inclined to go that route.

Many South Street books had bends, storage warping and dust that could be removed. I bought about a dozen of them and they all look better than the technical grade and could be improved if someone was inclined to go that route.

Right. The dealer did nothing to improve the books beyond knocking off some coal dust. Apparently, there are more books that he had not yet listed for sale (or, I think, not yet had graded), when a legal dispute arose between family members of the OO.

So far as I know, those remaining books have yet to make it to market.

I remember the group shots that seller made available at the time, and as I recall, there was still a large batch of Diary Secrets waiting to be slabbed and sold. I also remember a Cinderella Love 15 and 26 (but I think those were the only two issues of CL in the collection).

Here's my copy picked up for a hundred bucks 2 years ago.

sevenseas6-1.jpg

According to the current CGC census, Seven Seas #4 shows seven copies graded higher than 7.0, while SS #6 shows only one copy higher than 7.0. The total number of graded copies of #4 is 18, and #6 has 15.

Does this indicate a greater number of surviving #4's, or does it just reflect a greater tendency on the part of collectors to submit #4 for grading because of its "Classic Cover" status, and higher selling potential?

I've got a nice copy of that one. A St John with White pages isn't something you see every day.

RADDEF262014430_92445_zps18aca642.jpg

That book is just outstanding (thumbs u

Right. The dealer did nothing to improve the books beyond knocking off some coal dust. Apparently, there are more books that he had not yet listed for sale (or, I think, not yet had graded), when a legal dispute arose between family members of the OO.

I remember the group shots that seller made available at the time, and as I recall, there was still a large batch of Diary Secrets waiting to be slabbed and sold. I also remember a Cinderella Love 15 and 26 (but I think those were the only two issues of CL in the collection).

The last I heard from him, he said the legal dispute had caused him to wash his hands of the whole thing. Maybe I should check back with him to see if there have been any developments. hm

I emailed him about six months ago, and it he said basically what you posted above. Still in dispute and he doubted they would come to market...and if they did, it probably wouldn't be through him.

Really a shame. I would have loved to have bought more. Great colors and eye appeal from that collection.

The last I heard from him, he said the legal dispute had caused him to wash his hands of the whole thing. Maybe I should check back with him to see if there have been any developments. hm

I emailed him about six months ago, and it he said basically what you posted above. Still in dispute and he doubted they would come to market...and if they did, it probably wouldn't be through him.

Really a shame. I would have loved to have bought more. Great colors and eye appeal from that collection.

Yep, given another month or two, I probably would have broke down and paid whatever it was (about $750.) for his Pictorial Romances 19, graded in 6.5. It was a sweet copy.

I've got a nice copy of that one. A St John with White pages isn't something you see every day.

RADDEF262014430_92445_zps18aca642.jpg

That book is just outstanding (thumbs u

+1

Been quite a few of those in this thread.

So some family members figured out what was going on and blocked the deal?

I guess that's better than grabbing an Action #1 and ripping it in half!