• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

So some family members figured out what was going on and blocked the deal?

I guess that's better than grabbing an Action #1 and ripping it in half!

Yeah, I think that when the OO's estate was divided up, the comics were thought to be worth very little. When it became clear the kind of prices they were selling for recriminations (and litigation) followed.

Alas, we live in a greedy world, and belong to a greedy hobby... :sorry:

Edited by tricolorbrian

Our best theory is that the family saw the books selling on eBay for considerably more than they originally expected... then the dollar signs began rolling in their eyeballs... and perhaps they decided they'd do much better with the books if they cut out the middle man, or "re-negotiated" whatever arrangement they'd originally made with him.

Edit: yeah, the most likely problem, in a word, was greed.

Edited by 29dukedog

Our best theory is that the family saw the books selling on eBay for considerably more than they originally expected... then the dollar signs began rolling in their eyeballs... and perhaps they decided they'd do much better with the books if they cut out the middle man, or "re-negotiated" whatever arrangement they'd originally made with him.

So, the arrangement was to grade the books in small groups, sell on ebay, and share profits? OK, I take back much of what I said. But, he should have gotten a written contract... :sumo:

So, the arrangement was to grade the books in small groups, sell on ebay, and share profits? OK, I take back much of what I said. But, he should have gotten a written contract... :sumo:

See my post above. :makepoint:

The problem was that some of the heirs got the comics (and other stuff) and some of the heirs got other stuff (but no comics). The assumption was that the comics weren't worth much. When the comics started to be sold for high prices, the heirs who didn't get any felt that they had received a raw deal from the division of the estate and litigated.

The dispute was between family members, not between the family and the dealer.

I don't know how to READ... :makepoint: I'm doing the best I can by looking at the pictures...

Edited by tricolorbrian

The problem was that some of the heirs got the comics (and other stuff) and some of the heirs got other stuff (but no comics). The assumption was that the comics weren't worth much. When the comics started to be sold for high prices, the heirs who didn't get any felt that they had received a raw deal from the division of the estate and litigated.

Oh, ok. That's new info to me.

I don't know how to READ... :makepoint:

That's why you like comics. You can just look at the pictures. :D

Yeah, well, you actually read those girly romance books...real men just look at the covers... :sumo:

I don't know how to READ... :makepoint:

That's why you like comics. You can just look at the pictures. :D

Yeah, well, you actually read those girly romance books...real men just look at the covers... :sumo:

That Dana Dutch was actually a heck of a writer. Jus sayin'.

Well, if I could READ I might know that...of course, I'd never tell anyone... :D

My understanding is, correct me if I'm wrong Sqeggs, that the books were being walked into a retail store in chunks, almost weekly. The comic store owner had limited capital and had to turn the books around in order to fund continued purchases, plus the family was playing it close to the chest and apparently doling out books but not information.

The buyer wasn't greedy imho but was engaging in price discovery - rationally and methodically. The market was coming to him, and that process was beginning to accelerate once the first few brave souls took the plunge (one brave soul in particular made quite a nice profit off those "high prices", more power to him.) I, and many others, wish now we had gobbled them all up at those price points. Finally, the "agent" wised up and moved off a static pricing on Ebay to the auction venue and that's when the market really chimed in with true worth. Which is when the family apparently reneged on their agreement and went litigious in some fashion.

Free markets at work. What we should be more concerned with (buyers and sellers both) is what's out there, slabbed and in the census as a phantom, but coming one day to an auction near you.

Aside from the Crippen books, is there another collection of Baker romance books of this depth and quality?

Late in 2003, Neat Stuff Collectibles auctioned an extensive GA collection on eBay which they dubbed "The Mama's Collection", after the colorful old woman from Indiana from whom the books were purchased. There were quite a few runs of Baker romance. I'm sure RICK STARR and Flex Mentallo remember it.

One other nugget: When the seller first told me that he would no longer be able to sell the books, he said there were a "ton" of them left with 300 to 400 already slabbed. :o

Presumably that includes non-Baker books. :D

If he had just sold them all for $5 each, none of the heirs would have gotten suspicious... :baiting:

Something recent

pictorial%20romances%2018.jpg

Man, I completely love the dame on this cover. It's books like this that make me so tempted to chase Baker books. Maybe if I hit the powerball tonight....

Excellent looking copy! I can understand why the top may not be shown, but what's the grade?

Something recent

Man, I completely love the dame on this cover. It's books like this that make me so tempted to chase Baker books. Maybe if I hit the powerball tonight....

Excellent looking copy! I can understand why the top may not be shown, but what's the grade?

I know! I know! It's 7.0 OW/W

Something recent

Wise guy!

Something recent

Wise guy!

I can also tell you how much he paid for it... his credit card numbers... eBay and Paypal passwords... any personal information you want.

:gossip: ...but it'll cost you.

Something recent

Wise guy!

I can also tell you how much he paid for it... his credit card numbers... eBay and Paypal passwords... any personal information you want.

How much?

Something recent

Wise guy!

How much?

Maybe you're willing to make me an offer to not reveal your info?