• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

Yeah, the Cookeville books...

I don't think they were ever a pedigree, were they?

I mean pedigrees that at one time were recognized by CGC and appeared on labels, but that no longer do.

The collection was split at the time of purchase. I am not sure it would have qualified. I don't believe it was ever recorded in a complete list.

For a long time, there has been some debate over this cover; is it by Baker, or not?

SecretsOfLoveAndMarriage1_zpsjorrpbv6.jpg

I've finally figured it out. Below is a Baker panel from Teen-Age Temptations #8, which came out about two years prior to the Secrets of Love and Marriage. Obviously, the Charlton cover is not a direct copy, and probably not even a re-working of the Baker panel. I'd guess it's closely borrowed, but completely redrawn.

TT8_pg3_pnl3_zpshzgg5lx3.jpg

For a long time, there has been some debate over this cover; is it by Baker, or not?

I've finally figured it out. Below is a Baker panel from Teen-Age Temptations #8, which came out about two years prior to the Secrets of Love and Marriage. Obviously, the Charlton cover is not a direct copy, and probably not even a re-working of the Baker panel. I'd guess it's closely borrowed, but completely redrawn.

.... it has a Don Heck feel to it..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Nice piece of detective work. You know, I actually like the Charlton cover much better. hm

The colors on these are really nice. Most copies of DS 16 suffer from significant fading.

Well, that DS 16 is really nice. It's got a date with CGC and I think it stands a chance at a 9.2.

I think so, too. :wish luck:

But wait ... where's the frog? :o

The colors on these are really nice. Most copies of DS 16 suffer from significant fading.

Well, that DS 16 is really nice. It's got a date with CGC and I think it stands a chance at a 9.2.

I think so, too. :wishluck:

But wait ... where's the frog? :o

I kissed the Hypno-Toad and it changed into Mitzi in Hollywood from Movie Comics #4...

160223.jpg.bc1137932f4b47ab45300c53e2578fbb.jpg

Nice piece of detective work. You know, I actually like the Charlton cover much better. hm

Heavily swiped, but it does look redrawn, the distance between the two characters, the man's left arm position, the continuation of his leg and the chair, and details of both faces and her hair are different.

The one thing I always thought was "un-Bakerish" about that cover, was the woman's hand on the lantern. But now, after seeing the "official" Baker panel, the hand is drawn the exact same! That convinces me that the Secrets cover IS a Matt Baker cover.