• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

Baker cover: Either, neither, or both? hm

ssg03-013_zpsapbmo2d6.jpg

s-l1600_zps1wxowbr7.jpg

The Adventure is definitely Baker. The Police Cases definitely isn't Baker (but I'm not sure who it is.)

Probably right and consistent with the Art of Glamour checklist. The Police Cases seems rather crudely rendered to me. I had a thought that maybe it was an early version by Baker that he never finished. Most likely not, though.

In a related matter, the All-Picture Adventures #2 currently being auctioned on eBay by bakerfan is advertised as having Baker art. The cover certainly isn't Baker, so it must be in one of the issues rebound inside the book.

I asked the seller if he knew, but he never responded. Perhaps he just assumed the book contains Baker, but when questioned, he discovered it really doesn't.

So, since we are left to guess... I'd imagine if it does have any Baker inside, it would probably be Canteen Kate from an issue of Fightin' Marines.

The Art of Glamour checklist lists Baker as possibly having done the title. How on earth you could decide that, I don't know.

Kind of like All-Picture Comedy Carnival. Some copies -- but not all -- contain a remaindered copy of TAR 27. Metro had a raw copy that they advertised as containing Baker art. I asked them to list the stories in their copy -- none had art by Baker. Even after I told them that, they were still listing it as having Baker art. Not sure whether it's still on their site.

Oh, you mean, Baker apparently designed the book's logo? I never did pick up the Art of Glamour book. Yeah, I don't know how one could make that kind of determination. Unless there is documentation, or first hand witness testimony, it's just someone's opinion. (Like All-Picture All-True Love Story #2 not being a Baker cover.)

In a related matter, the All-Picture Adventures #2 currently being auctioned on eBay by bakerfan is advertised as having Baker art. The cover certainly isn't Baker, so it must be in one of the issues rebound inside the book.

I asked the seller if he knew, but he never responded. Perhaps he just assumed the book contains Baker, but when questioned, he discovered it really doesn't.

So, since we are left to guess... I'd imagine if it does have any Baker inside, it would probably be Canteen Kate from an issue of Fightin' Marines.

The Art of Glamour checklist lists Baker as possibly having done the title. How on earth you could decide that, I don't know.

Kind of like All-Picture Comedy Carnival. Some copies -- but not all -- contain a remaindered copy of TAR 27. Metro had a raw copy that they advertised as containing Baker art. I asked them to list the stories in their copy -- none had art by Baker. Even after I told them that, they were still listing it as having Baker art. Not sure whether it's still on their site.

Oh, you mean, Baker apparently designed the book's logo? I never did pick up the Art of Glamour book. Yeah, I don't know how one could make that kind of determination. Unless there is documentation, or first hand witness testimony, it's just someone's opinion. (Like All-Picture All-True Love Story #2 not being a Baker cover.)

I think by title they do mean logo. You are right that without documentation, it's hard to attribute something like a logo. I imagine they must have had some reason, though.

They do credit him with the cover of All-Picture All True-Love Story 2, although it's certainly not his typical style, imo.

Well, I spoke a little too soon. The seller just replied and told me the interior Baker is from an issue of Authentic Police Cases.

Baker cover: Either, neither, or both? hm

ssg03-013_zpsapbmo2d6.jpg

s-l1600_zps1wxowbr7.jpg

The Adventure is definitely Baker. The Police Cases definitely isn't Baker (but I'm not sure who it is.)

Probably right and consistent with the Art of Glamour checklist. The Police Cases seems rather crudely rendered to me. I had a thought that maybe it was an early version by Baker that he never finished. Most likely not, though.

Agree 100% that the Adventure is definitely a Baker cover and the Police Cases is definitely not. The cover reminds me of some of the art and covers from Authentic Police Cases.

All Picture Comedy Carnival comes in two versions I know of. One has no Baker and the other one I have has Canteen Kate #3 in it. Might be other contents but those are the only two I have seen.

What I find interesting are the 100 page St. Johns that were made up of new material (Pictorial Romances 17 thru 20, and True Love Pictorial 3 thru 5), but are known to have rebound variants. Both PR 19 and TLP 4 are known to have variants with rebound contents.

All Picture Comedy Carnival comes in two versions I know of. One has no Baker and the other one I have has Canteen Kate #3 in it. Might be other contents but those are the only two I have seen.

In my post -- which you quote! -- I mention that my copy contains a remaindered copy of TAR 27. :baiting:

In my post -- which you quote! -- I mention that my copy contains a remaindered copy of TAR 27. :baiting:

Hey- I used to have one of those, too!

:whistle:

Hey- I used to have one of those, too!

:whistle:

An uncanny coincidence! :o

So does that mean there are three versions?

Edited by Robot Man

So does that mean there are three versions?

At least three. Probably several combinations of the three interior remaindered books.

It's in the next CLink auction. No mention by CGC or the auction house of Baker's contribution.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2016may%23Item_1114749&id=1114749

That might've been to our advantage... had there been a shred of doubt as to who is going to end up winning it.

It's in the next CLink auction. No mention by CGC or the auction house of Baker's contribution.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2016may%23Item_1114749&id=1114749

That might've been to our advantage... had there been a shred of doubt as to who is going to end up winning it.

hm I must be out of the loop.

For as long as I've been collecting Bakers, there has always been someone against whom I didn't stand a chance of outbidding. Besides, they're only doing exactly what I, myself, would do, if I had the same resources.

My usual habit has been to just wait until the super-collectors finish buying the books they want (and you'd be surprised how little time that can often take. Joe Serpico, a remorseless and unstoppable force of nature, was here and gone in about two years, and then disappeared entirely). Hopefully, in the meantime, nobody else has popped up to replace them.

But fortunately, competitive auctions are not the only way obtain books. Many of my best Bakers came from other collectors, non-eBay comic shops (internet and physical stores), quite a few eBay BIN's, and plain old good luck- just being in the right place at the right time. There have been plenty of opportunities that money couldn't buy.

It also doesn't hurt that I've been collecting Bakers since about 2002.

Will that guy never stop! :cry:

Thank the Lord I already have 12 copies of this one. :D

Will that guy never stop! :cry:

Thank the Lord I already have 12 copies of this one. :D

Oh wow, could you post all 12 for us? Please?