• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,349 posts in this topic

Another in my ongoing series "Books That Should Never Have Been Slabbed" :acclaim:

I dunno, there are pretty good reasons to slab low-grade books, like if the book is rare, or if it has very weak staple connections and you don't want your 2.5 to become a 2.0/1.8.

Love these Bakers... And the first one you posted is one I haven't seen in forever (or maybe never).

Another in my ongoing series "Books That Should Never Have Been Slabbed" :acclaim:

I dunno, there are pretty good reasons to slab low-grade books, like if the book is rare, or if it has very weak staple connections and you don't want your 2.5 to become a 2.0/1.8.

Love these Bakers... And the first one you posted is one I haven't seen in forever (or maybe never).

Yeah, that was pretty much my thoughts. They are probably better off in slabs.

Or if your comic storage space is especially large and you need to fill it up.

Really nice copy, but marred by the missing piece. (Kinda blends in, though, doesn't it? hm ) Second highest on the census behind a 4.5. These Going Steadys aren't easy to find.

f00ebfc0-376a-4b3a-8bf5-7181ad874564_zpsv0hi2yta.jpg

Cover image looks very nice despite the missing piece. Wonder what it would grade if the piece wasn't missing?

I don't know. Maybe a 7.0? At the top corner, that's not a chip but a lack of color, presumably from a printing problem.

Or if your comic storage space is especially large and you need to fill it up.

Well, that, too.

According to my notes, I won this one (raw) on eBay for $16.95, including postage!

Second highest on the census behind a 4.0.

118df363-08ce-4e1f-b574-c367b67c66e7_zpsh7jxu8yt.jpg

I actually found a nice, mid grade, double cover copy of this one! (Sure... probably my least favorite of the late period Baker covers... and that's the one that shows up as a double cover.)

According to my notes, I won this one (raw) on eBay for $16.95, including postage!

Second highest on the census behind a 4.0.

118df363-08ce-4e1f-b574-c367b67c66e7_zpsh7jxu8yt.jpg

I actually found a nice, mid grade, double cover copy of this one! (Sure... probably my least favorite of the late period Baker covers... and that's the one that shows up as a double cover.)

I actually like this cover. I assume it's meant to be near the Central Park reservoir. I envision Baker sitting there one early fall afternoon with a sketch pad.

Although, it's probably more likely that he was in his apartment working from photos in his swipe file!

My CL group shot.

DSCN4785.jpg

And your collection came to mind as well. Joanna, Ron, Rick, John, and that new kid Tony have had a presence in this thread from the beginning - big time Baker fans with great books. A lot of collectors dabble and have outstanding mini-runs, which given the scarcity and comparative cost has been a great way to approach St John romance. There aren't that many committed completionists, though. That's a long long term collecting goal.

Also a shout out to my friend Bumble Kitty who rarely posts but believe me has put together a fantastic collection as well.

Thanks Andy. It was the Baker Romance thread that brought me here. I was friends with Joanna on ebay as she was bidding against me so often. Back then you could communicate with other bidders. Then Steve (eccomic) sent me a link to the BR thread. I mentioned this to Joanna who went " Ron, I'm Jvr11. That's my thread." I then joined the boards. I've gotten some nice books as a result of coming here. And made some great friends.

It's too bad Joanna rarely stops by this thread any more. I'm not even sure she still collects Baker. I still remember (I should because it wasn't that long ago! :D ) buying my first Baker -- Crippen copy of TAT 1 from Dr. Love. And thus the addiction began!

:hi: Hi everyone:) I really enjoy coming back to this thread and see how things have progressed on the Baker front. I'm sure happy I got my runs when I did. I just saw how much a mid-range CL25 is going for! I haven't purchased a new Baker book in years. The best thing about Matt Baker is that his work is timeless and his art always remarkable. There are a few missing pieces to my collection that I think will always be missing but this is okay by me as they are just about impossible to get even more so now. The time period of these romance comics will always capture my attention. BTW awesome group shot:)

Edited by JvR11

My CL group shot.

DSCN4785.jpg

And your collection came to mind as well. Joanna, Ron, Rick, John, and that new kid Tony have had a presence in this thread from the beginning - big time Baker fans with great books. A lot of collectors dabble and have outstanding mini-runs, which given the scarcity and comparative cost has been a great way to approach St John romance. There aren't that many committed completionists, though. That's a long long term collecting goal.

Also a shout out to my friend Bumble Kitty who rarely posts but believe me has put together a fantastic collection as well.

Thanks Andy. It was the Baker Romance thread that brought me here. I was friends with Joanna on ebay as she was bidding against me so often. Back then you could communicate with other bidders. Then Steve (eccomic) sent me a link to the BR thread. I mentioned this to Joanna who went " Ron, I'm Jvr11. That's my thread." I then joined the boards. I've gotten some nice books as a result of coming here. And made some great friends.

It's too bad Joanna rarely stops by this thread any more. I'm not even sure she still collects Baker. I still remember (I should because it was that long ago! :D ) buying my first Baker -- Crippen copy of TAT 1 from Dr. Love. And thus the addiction began!

I miss Joanna as well..... she sold me my Venus 19...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thank you Jimbo this is so nice of you to remember me and this sale :)

Hey Joanna, great hearing from you.

Come back more often.

I'm sure you have quite the collection now. Do you have all except some of the rare giants?

I don't have them all. There are still have a few that escape me. And they don't come up. And now there are more buyers waiting in the wings to beat me out.

I did get this though.

DSCN4863.jpg

Edited by comicnoir

My CL group shot.

DSCN4785.jpg

It's too bad Joanna rarely stops by this thread any more. I'm not even sure she still collects Baker. I still remember (I should because it was that long ago! :D ) buying my first Baker -- Crippen copy of TAT 1 from Dr. Love. And thus the addiction began!

I miss Joanna as well..... she sold me my Venus 19...... GOD BLESS....

Thank you Jimbo this is so nice of you to remember me and this sale :)

:foryou:

....the Golden Age of the CGC Forum...... it was more peaceful around here then..... hope all is well with you. GOD BLESS......

I don't have them all. There are still have a few that escape me. And they don't come up. And now there are more buyers waiting in the wings to beat me out.

I did get this though.

DSCN4863.jpg

That is a great copy. I have a low grade slabbed copy that was even expensive when I bought it. Hope you found it in a hidden bin for $2 :)

BTW, I was also curious how is the original art going in the Baker world. Has there been much up for sale?

I never see any Baker OA up for sale online. It's a tight market. Of course I'm in Canada, so I don't get to the shows where it's more likely to show.

The GCE 12 came from Harley. Time payments, although I've paid it off. Ouch.

Really nice copy, but marred by the missing piece. (Kinda blends in, though, doesn't it? hm ) Second highest on the census behind a 4.5. These Going Steadys aren't easy to find.

f00ebfc0-376a-4b3a-8bf5-7181ad874564_zpsv0hi2yta.jpg

Cover image looks very nice despite the missing piece. Wonder what it would grade if the piece wasn't missing?

I don't know. Maybe a 7.0? At the top corner, that's not a chip but a lack of color, presumably from a printing problem.

Never seen a copy with the top right corner colored. Doubt that one exists.