• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,399 posts in this topic

Nice to hear from you, Joanna! :hi:

That's a sweet copy, Ron. :applause: Worth every penny dollar C note whatever it took. It's good to be on Harley's speed dial.

Harley got this book from a collector he sold to many years ago. He was selling his collection back to Harley. This guy is in my city of Toronto. Harley wanted to sell right away, so I got a call. But I wasn't the first person he called. The first guy already had a copy. I'm like, there are 2 copies of this book in my city? Who's the other guy? Harley would never tell.

Harley wanted to sell right away, so I got a call.

Harley has treated me great over the years, and he has even held some expensive Larson books for me. Recently he has been turning books over more quickly to known buyers - really helps with his cash flow I presume.

At WonderCon last weekend, he had an incredibly quick turnaround (just a few minutes!) on a Baker book he had just purchased at the show.

Harley wanted to sell right away, so I got a call.

Harley has treated me great over the years, and he has even held some expensive Larson books for me. Recently he has been turning books over more quickly to known buyers - really helps with his cash flow I presume.

At WonderCon last weekend, he had an incredibly quick turnaround (just a few minutes!) on a Baker book he had just purchased at the show.

Do you know the book?

No, not this one - the other 6.5. But I believe the price set on the CLink copy was baked into the cake on the sale to Harley. I also heard it went to the first person called.

For those who are tracking such things - Dolgoff's TAR 38 5.0 just went on Ebay, BIN for $450. Which is in keeping for the pricing on this issue - it's a minor grail, one of the more suggestive with hint of violence covers.

Also - there's a CL 26 1.8 on Ebay - $85 with 3 days to go. Now that's one to watch closely. It'll almost certainly break $100 and if it breaks $150.... hm

Prices are moving up pretty quickly on the Baker romance

No, not this one - the other 6.5. But I believe the price set on the CLink copy was baked into the cake on the sale to Harley. I also heard it went to the first person called.

For those who are tracking such things - Dolgoff's TAR 38 5.0 just went on Ebay, BIN for $450. Which is in keeping for the pricing on this issue - it's a minor grail, one of the more suggestive with hint of violence covers.

Also - there's a CL 26 1.8 on Ebay - $85 with 3 days to go. Now that's one to watch closely. It'll almost certainly break $100 and if it breaks $150.... hm

I took a look at that TAR 38 from Dolgoff and it looked like there was some rust on the staple. If not for the rust on he staple, I wonder if it would have gone much higher?

It's been both educational and exciting as I learn more about Baker romance and St. John in general. One really develops a better sense of why these particular books are so tough in grade, and why prices keep escalating.

Recently I've turned down several Baker issues because the asking was just too high for me, but overall Boardies have been tremendously helpful. It's quite interesting as I shift part of my financial focus from other genres into Baker romance (and crime), even at lower condition (I like to read them).

Now to just find the books!

I took a look at that TAR 38 from Dolgoff and it looked like there was some rust on the staple. If not for the rust on he staple, I wonder if it would have gone much higher?

I think it would have. It would also have helped him to have gotten Baker in the title. Was it a BIN? If so, then I think he would have done better with a higher price and the Best Offer option activated. $450 for a 5.0 OW-W of that book seems like a bargain to me, even with the rust.

Edited to add: Apparently an auction, rather than a BiN. Surprising that Gary wasn't on top it being a Baker cover.

Edited by Sqeggs

Really nice copy, but marred by the missing piece. (Kinda blends in, though, doesn't it? hm ) Second highest on the census behind a 4.5. These Going Steadys aren't easy to find.

f00ebfc0-376a-4b3a-8bf5-7181ad874564_zpsv0hi2yta.jpg

Such a great Baker cover and choice of colors used

I think it would have. It would also have helped him to have gotten Baker in the title. Was it a BIN? If so, then I think he would have done better with a higher price and the Best Offer option activated. $450 for a 5.0 OW-W of that book seems like a bargain to me, even with the rust.

Edited to add: Apparently an auction, rather than a BiN. Surprising that Gary wasn't on top it being a Baker cover.

When I first looked at the grade and price, seemed like a really fair price. I personally would have bid if not for the rust a few $$ above the starting price.

Also, got this from a buddy in a trade at the show. "Reform School Girl" Story!

comteenagetemptations1_zps06qgvryd.jpg

The Crippen copy of this one was my first Baker purchase. Right here in a Dr. Love sales thread. The rest is bankruptcy ... I mean, I mean, history! :D

Hey Andy, would you please send a link to the CL 26. I can"t seem to find it..