• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,595 posts in this topic

Just now, 29dukedog said:

An over graded book is a hollow victory, unless the owner is just in it for profit.

You certainly see some books making the rounds that are clearly overgraded -- or else have flaws that most collectors ding for to a greater extent than CGC does.  

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

Well, the artwork certainly is. 

You know, maybe I'm just making the case that CGC actually needed to tighten the screws on their grading.  And now it's finally happening.

You're just saying that because you know my Cinderella Love #25 is over-graded and you want the top spot for yourself!! ;)

Well, I have wanted to upgrade for quite a while...  hm

cl25Ja_zps0f692440.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
immodesty

9 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Since the subject of the Sixth Street collection has recently come up again, it's an ideal excuse to post this pic.  It's the only book from that collection I bought.  Expensive, at the time, but it was a book I just had to grab, with no hesitation.  In hand the colors are amazing...

PictorialRomances21_6st_a_zps6eb4fc92.jp

And like you said, that was a stiff price at the time, for that grade, for a non-grail.  But that particular teal coloring is uncommon, especially if it pops.  Great decision, borne out by maintaining the high grade over the years.  While "overpaying" can't be continued ad infinitum for most of us, in the moment I've always felt it's the right way to go.

I definitely feel they tightened up.  Before the new slabs.  They were coming off a period of ridiculous looseness, Borock had made a similar decision to tighten up as their reputation was sinking fast, and Matt was coming on board as Primary.  Comfortably tight is the way to go, anything else as a long term business model isn't that sustainable.  imho of course :headbang:

22 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

And like you said, that was a stiff price at the time, for that grade, for a non-grail.  But that particular teal coloring is uncommon, especially if it pops.  Great decision, borne out by maintaining the high grade over the years.  While "overpaying" can't be continued ad infinitum for most of us, in the moment I've always felt it's the right way to go.

Could not have said it better.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

I definitely feel they tightened up.  Before the new slabs.  They were coming off a period of ridiculous looseness, Borock had made a similar decision to tighten up as their reputation was sinking fast, and Matt was coming on board as Primary. 

I wasn't aware of those details, but looking back it explains everything I've been seeing.

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

Well, I have wanted to upgrade for quite a while...  hm

cl25Ja_zps0f692440.jpg

So nice to see!!  Here's the competition (why is it rotating my file?!!!):

Cinderella Love 25.JPG

Just now, Yorick said:

Cinderella Love 25.JPG

That's a hell of a book brother.  Looks mighty fine from here! 

For me this is the #1 Baker, I'll take it every day and twice on sunday over the GCE 12.  Next up for me is TAR 14, a masterpiece.  Then it all gets in a muddle from there.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:
9 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Cinderella Love 25.JPG

For me this is the #1 Baker, I'll take it every day and twice on sunday over the GCE 12.  Next up for me is TAR 14, a masterpiece.  Then it all gets in a muddle from there.

Dang!  And White pages to boot!

I agree with Dr. L that this book does two laps before GCE 12 gets out of the starting blocks.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Here's your 2nd pick... and another I'm sure is near the top of your muddle...

tar14_zpsf0be1dc4.jpg  

ds16_zpssstughzq.jpg

Just now, 29dukedog said:

Here's your 2nd pick... and another I'm sure is near the top of your muddle...

tar14_zpsf0be1dc4.jpg  

ds16_zpssstughzq.jpg

Same gal, different guy! hm

I guess I'm in the minority, but TAR 14 has never been one of my fav raves. 

1 minute ago, comicnoir said:
8 minutes ago, SushiX said:

How hard is it to find a HG tar 14?

Hard. (7.5 and better)

Highest of the five copies on the census is a 7.0.

3 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

9 minutes ago, SushiX said:

How hard is it to find a HG tar 14?

Hard. (7.5 and better)

Being one of the "tall" issues, TR 14 usually sat upright in a box alongside much shorter books, thus exposing the top edge and making it vulnerable to damage, as we've seen with so many of those tall issues.

yeh I've got the Crippen TAR 14 and it's got foxing on that edge.  Love the oversized, just love them.  Digests, too.  Circus freaks, the tall man and the midget.

I sold my DS 16 a few years ago and that's a sellers remorse deal for me.  I'll replace if possible.  Dang Rick your book is tight!  Love when the staples are just slightly displaced, keeps the spine plumper, those St. John's can get pretty knifey on the edge after a while.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Love when the staples are just slightly displaced, keeps the spine plumper

Me too, and pressing would probably just ruin that plump spine.  Maybe even mere encapsulation would, too.  That's why I've dawdled so long on getting it graded.  Looks too nice in the raw.