• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Yorick said:

All right - picture time.

Without looking at the census, guess the grade CGC gave this one:

Teenage Romances 39 copy 2.JPG

I would say 7.0-7.5 but is there a very very light stain in the upper right-hand corner that is getting penalized greatly? I have had books with that little corner spine chip come back 7.5. It’s a little hard to tell on my cell.   I am going to go with a very pretty 6.5?

12 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I would say 7.0-7.5 but is there a very very light stain in the upper right-hand corner that is getting penalized greatly? I have had books with that little corner spine chip come back 7.5. It’s a little hard to tell on my cell.   I am going to go with a very pretty 6.5?

Grader notes only say "tanning cover, tanning pages" (which is obvious just looking at the cover).  There appears to be a dirty smudge line across the top right.  Tiny tear and the two chips on the top edge.  I had expected at least a 7.0.  I was not given it.

DSC_0809.JPG

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

Grader notes only say "tanning cover, tanning pages" (which is obvious just looking at the cover).  There appears to be a dirty smudge line across the top right.  Tiny tear and the two chips on the top edge.  I had expected at least a 7.0.  I was not given it.

DSC_0809.JPG

I was THIS CLOSE to saying 6.0 

Pretty book anyway 

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

5.5 - but a nice one. Mini spine split ?

You can see in the scan the top staple popped, but along the way to CGC the bottom staple must have popped too.  The grader notes indicate that both staples detached from the cover.  :facepalm:

DSC_0817.JPG

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

You can see in the scan the top staple popped, but along the way to CGC the bottom staple must have popped too.  The grader notes indicate that both staples detached from the cover.  :facepalm:

DSC_0817.JPG

So cgc no longer lists detached cover on the label. Too bad.

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

I had a book slabbed recently that's 3.5 with a detached cf, where that flaw is no longer listed on the label either.  

If I were a cynical person (which I am...), I might see this as a ploy by cgc to drive people into  buying graders notes on low grade books that present nicely, before I bid on them/buy them etc...

I think every cover detached I have is no higher than a 2.0... might be time for a resubmit 

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

For the record it was a first time sub on the book and I was under the assumption detached cf was gonna be put on the label.  It was put in the graders notes.

I suppose it could also be a ploy by cgc to get people to pay for reslabbing existing books.

Im kinda waiting for the day when they say minor color touched books will be in universal holders and the Ct affects grade like a stain... thereby getting everyone to pay for regrading all those books too.

Ok that's all the conspiracy theories/derailments from me... for  today at least.

Of course, when they started, they used to note a number of defects -- rusty staples, cover tanning -- that they later dropped from the label notes. Maybe dropping mention of detached covers and centerfolds is another step along those lines.  GA books with (supposedly) very minor ct and glue are already in universal holders.  It would be interesting if they dropped those notations as well.  That would be a big step because noting the minor resto on the label was part of the comprise at the beginning that kept those books from ending up as PLODs.

Be nice if they announced these changes with some discussion.  So far as I know, they haven't done so wrt dropping mention of detached covers and cfs, unless I missed it.

4 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Eventually we'll get to where all submissions are in tamper resistant slabs with serial numbers only... no listed grade on the label.  Grade will cost you 25$ and graders notes will be $50.... ok, now no more conspiracy theories...

Don't given them any ideas! :cry:

14 hours ago, Yorick said:

DSC_0809.JPG

Nice copy of a very tough book.  Top of the census.  I don't think I've seen a copy of this issue that didn't suffer to some extent from tanning. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice copy of a very tough book.  Top of the census.  I don't think I've seen a copy of this issue that didn't suffer to some extent from tanning. 

Oh jeez.  I thought there was an 8 on the record.  Well, I hope someone has a better copy, because the color in this one is seriously lacking.  I prefer my other copy:

Teen-Age Romances 39.JPG