• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,346 posts in this topic

Those are both fantastic copies of that issue!  I really love that scan of the TAR41 4.0!!  Those colors are blinding!

Below is the single image provided in the listing which captured the TAR41.  This should be an upgrade, but I won't know until it's in-hand.

It looks like I'll be selling Rick the rest of the batch...:tink:

comic lot.jpg

7 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I like Going Steady #13 much less.  (And that's the book I found a double cover VG/F copy of!) 

Want to sell me the outer cover? :idea::devil:

6 hours ago, szavisca said:

Changing gears from high price low grade romance...to high grade "low" price non romance tough girl Baker... picked up a nice copy of Western Bandit Trails 2 that could compete for highest graded for now ...I think.  Also got a lower grade but sharp Approved 9, which looks as good in quality to any of his romance covers to me.

westernbandittrails2VFfront.jpg

app9.jpg

Good stuff...very underrated

8 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:
6 hours ago, szavisca said:

Changing gears from high price low grade romance...to high grade "low" price non romance tough girl Baker... picked up a nice copy of Western Bandit Trails 2 that could compete for highest graded for now ...I think.  Also got a lower grade but sharp Approved 9, which looks as good in quality to any of his romance covers to me.

app9.jpg

Good stuff...very underrated

I agree.  Cool books that are tough to find in decent shape. 

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The Confessions of the Lovelorn with the "drunkard" cover story is no slouch either. Great lot!

For an apparently random selection of romance books, there's definitely some winners in there.  

I initially typed "some sinners in there," which I guess is probably also true! :)

9 hours ago, szavisca said:

app9.jpg

:applause:Great stuff my friend! You are quickly building a very cool collection of Baker books there! Savvy buy there as those have no where to go but up as more and more folks get out bid on the Romance books.

14 hours ago, sagii said:

:applause:Great stuff my friend! You are quickly building a very cool collection of Baker books there! Savvy buy there as those have no where to go but up as more and more folks get out bid on the Romance books.

Yep. I have been quietly buying up those as well as the crime and horror ones for years. Pretty well done now.

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
15 hours ago, sagii said:

Yep. I have been quietly buying up those as well as the crime and horror ones for years. Pretty well done now.

The list of books you don't buy up would be much shorter! :)

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

When the sainted Cheetah finally threw in the towel on assembling high-grade copies (and when he threw in the towel, you knew the books were tough!), I picked up a couple of Baker Westerns from him. 

2165601_Full_Obv_zpsdg7rexru.JPG

2041042_Full_Obv_zpsts3pypmp.JPG

..... as inspired as his Romance was, Matt was obviously in love with his craft..... it showed no matter what the subject. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

When the sainted Cheetah finally threw in the towel on assembling high-grade copies (and when he threw in the towel, you knew the books were tough!), I picked up a couple of Baker Westerns from him. 

2165601_Full_Obv_zpsdg7rexru.JPG

2041042_Full_Obv_zpsts3pypmp.JPG

That title as well as Robin Hood just don't seem to get much if any interest. Probably because there are no females on the covers I guess.  #11 is actually very well excuted.

27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That title as well as Robin Hood just don't seem to get much if any interest. Probably because there are no females on the covers I guess.  #11 is actually very well excuted.

I think Baker did some stories for the Quality RH series, but I don't believe he did any of the covers. GCD credits the cover of this one (I think it's the only issue I have) to D ick Dillin.  Can't say I'm familiar with him.   

Edited to add: I hadn't noticed that CGC does credit this cover to Baker, but I don't think the attribution is correct.

Baker_zpsredub20b.JPG

Edited by Sqeggs

I noticed no mention of the Ebay sale of the Teen. Romance 42 in G-  going for $1476 by the same seller. CL 26 G-VG for $812. These are, IMO, unbelievable prices for such lower grade copies.

Crying out loud with these sales, as tempting as it is to sell off some of my copies, I'm still holding the line, for now. :insane: 

5 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

I noticed no mention of the Ebay sale of the Teen. Romance 42 in G-  going for $1476 by the same seller. CL 26 G-VG for $812. These are, IMO, unbelievable prices for such lower grade copies.

Crying out loud with these sales, as tempting as it is to sell off some of my copies, I'm still holding the line, for now. :insane: 

They are discussed in this thread a few pages back. Definitely noteworthy results. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Kind of interesting that the PGX 4.0 is still (last I checked) sitting on eBay.  With the stains, probably more like a 3.0, but the underbidder of the raw copy might have grabbed it. 

The eye appeal is just not consistent with the grade. 

42 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:
46 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Kind of interesting that the PGX 4.0 is still (last I checked) sitting on eBay.  With the stains, probably more like a 3.0, but the underbidder of the raw copy might have grabbed it. 

The eye appeal is just not consistent with the grade. 

It would be interesting to see whether this book would sell at its current price if it were in a CGC 3.0 holder (the grade I think it would probably get) rather than a PGX 4.0 holder.