• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

Hey Rick, what did the TaR 32 go for. As a Canadian I was not allowed to bid, so you have to think of that with the realised prices since my and others would have made an impact on the final price, if we were allowed to bid. 

Which we weren't.

51 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Hey Rick, what did the TaR 32 go for. As a Canadian I was not allowed to bid, so you have to think of that with the realised prices since my and others would have made an impact on the final price, if we were allowed to bid. 

Which we weren't.

I think it was $1275.  Funny that only one or two were sniped.  Most had the high bid solidly in place with plenty of time before closing.  I wanted the TAR34, but most of these books looked like the page quality was low.  The TAR4 only went for $13 (but I think it was missing the first wrap...).

38 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I think it was $1275.  Funny that only one or two were sniped.  Most had the high bid solidly in place with plenty of time before closing.  I wanted the TAR34, but most of these books looked like the page quality was low.  The TAR4 only went for $13 (but I think it was missing the first wrap...).

Thanks.

The 32 was a 4.0 according to the seller, I hear.

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Thanks.

The 32 was a 4.0 according to the seller, I hear.

Right. He called it a VG, which seems accurate.  Appears to be a solid copy, although it does have significant tanning.  

I actually thought it might sell for more.  I won some of his other romance books but none of the Bakers.

And, yeah, seems odd that he wouldn't allow bidders from Canada.

17 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Which we weren't.

$1275. It was a 4.5 ish copy. Pretty decent. It went around where I thought it would.  

On 11/27/2017 at 12:18 PM, manetteska said:

I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised at the final price of the DS #20 -- $411.

That was a good deal, I think.  One of Baker's few tear drop covers.  I think Dr. Love has indicated there are four. Don't ask me to name the other three!

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That was a good deal, I think.  One of Baker's few tear drop covers.  I think Dr. Love has indicated there are four. Don't ask me to name the other three!

I always loved that cover. Her note implies she's pregnant and her boyfriend must not know. The picture of him shows him giving off a mocking laugh. What was Baker trying to say?

9 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Who made me pay so much for that lot of romance books with the TAR41 hidden in the batch?  Can't wait to see that copy....

Didn't even see that auction.  (Can you post a link?)  Good luck with it.  

Hard to believe nothing higher has come along in the census since I scored mine about ten years ago...  

tar41_pb.jpg

12 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Who made me pay so much for that lot of romance books with the TAR41 hidden in the batch?  Can't wait to see that copy....

Wasn't me.  I didn't see the listing.  TAR 41 is tough, but not one of my favorites.  Might even be my least favorite Baker cover from that period.  Some staining and creasing in the lower right corner brought down the grade on this otherwise pretty nice copy. 

2017-11-28-0001_zpssddr9rl3.jpg

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Didn't even see that auction.  (Can you post a link?)  Good luck with it.  

Hard to believe nothing higher has come along in the census since I scored mine about ten years ago...  

tar41_pb.jpg

Interesting that the date on the label of your copy says December, although it says January on the cover (and on the label of my copy). 

Just for fun I checked the census for issues 41 to 45.  Highest graded copy of any issue is a mere 6.0.  I think we've seen a couple of raw copies of 42 posted that would probably grade higher. 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Interesting that the date on the label of your copy says December, although it says January on the cover (and on the label of my copy). 

Also, I think there's at least one copy of TR 40 that was mistakenly slabbed as a "#41", since that book offers no clue, inside or out, as to the actual issue number.  

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

Also, I think there's at least one copy of TR 40 that was mistakenly slabbed as a "#41", since that book offers no clue, inside or out, as to the actual issue number.  

God forbid they should take the time to check GCD!

It's like the 6.0 copy of CL 25 that has Cinderella misspelled on the label. :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
5 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

God forbid they should take the time to check GCD!

It's like the 6.0 copy of CL 25 that has Cinderella misspelled on the label. :facepalm:

Right.  "Cindrella Love" #25 can still be found in the census, but only if you search for the misspelled title.   :screwy:

21 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

TAR 41 is tough, but not one of my favorites.  Might even be my least favorite Baker cover from that period.

I like Going Steady #13 much less.  (And that's the book I found a double cover VG/F copy of!) 

6 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
30 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

TAR 41 is tough, but not one of my favorites.  Might even be my least favorite Baker cover from that period.

I like Going Steady #13 much less.  (And that's the book I found a double cover VG/F copy of!) 

I would be more than happy to take it off your hands!

This is the best I can do on that one.  Purchased raw on eBay for $16.95. :whatthe:

118df363-08ce-4e1f-b574-c367b67c66e7_zpsh7jxu8yt.JPG