• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

The results on the bay tonight are on the same growth path but slightly more reasonable with some notable exceptions. 

I feel I have a pretty good finger on the pulse of gga and Baker books and I was underbidder on 3 books but tonight I was 4th-6th on most of the books. That is very different than 6 months ago where any Baker I was bidding on I won or came in 2nd nearly every time.  I think that means more people are coming to the table and prices will see some continued growth, at least short term.  So many of the Baker books I sold for “high prices” over the last year I would buy back at a profit for the buyer.

You'll never catch me tormenting myself like that.  

4 minutes ago, szavisca said:
15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I figured it would turn out to be me!

They were all or almost all other guy slabs... dunno if that affected your search.  Strong prices on Baker non romance too...

To avoid the blizzard of e-mails I used to get when I was following all of the Baker titles, I now only track "Baker."  I just looked up my saved searches and I am only tracking "Baker" in romance comics (to avoid all the Baker Sad Sack alerts I used to get).  Looks like he listed them under "other Golden Age" so I didn't get the eBay e-mails.

I wouldn't have tried to win any of them anyway, but it might have been interesting to watch. 

Edited by Sqeggs

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

To avoid the blizzard of e-mails I used to get when I was following all of the Baker titles, I now only track "Baker."  I just looked up my saved searches and I am only tracking "Baker" in romance comics (to avoid all the Baker Sad Sack alerts I used to get).  Looks like he listed them under "other Golden Age" so I didn't get the eBay e-mails.

I wouldn't have tried to win any of them anyway, but it might have been interesting to watch. 

Other Golden Age.  The no-man's land where successful online dealers like Mile High Chuck, The Fish, and the Other David A. list their romance books.  Someone was asking earlier where do you find bargains?  Go hunting in Other Golden Age auction style listings is the first answer that comes to mind.

I get adding a listing to Other Golden as a secondary listing area for another .50, I believe.  That is good business, a little more exposure.  Using it as the stand alone listing designation for romance?  Say what?  No back scans on mid to lower grade books?  You can drop the back scan of a 9.2, we can assume the back is relatively clean even if we don't see it.  On a 4.0, there could be any number of distasteful defects you personally have a hate for lurking on the flip.  For the life of me I just don't get the upside to this decision. Little crumbs of saved time that add up to minutes of value to the Worlds Most Efficient Dealers? 

Notice again the participation of a handful of the same guys chasing these books.  The beauty of the net - you only need two.  Not a high bar and Ebay's exposure is vast.

Having said all that, congrats to buyers and Dale.  At least he brings his Bakers to Ebay.  Romance is still, and will always remain the undervalued and underpopulated genre in relation to the others.  It is in the DNA of collectors, which is gender skewed to the absolute max to male, to abhor Romance.  It is fascinating that Cartoon Characters and Westerns have a listing presence in keeping with their market saturation of the time, whereas Romance, approximately a quarter of the market from '49 to '51, represent 3% of the GA listings on Ebay.  And that's now - 15 years ago it was a total wasteland trolled by mutants like myself and a few savory others.  And you'd find maybe a half a box's worth of books in total at a convention.

12 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Whoever won the PR 23 must've said, "Dang it, I'm gonna find out what it takes to top "l***g"'s five consecutive high bids!"  And he did.  (Kudos!  PR 23 is possibly the toughest issue of the title.) 

Bought this one more than four years ago off Metro for $500.  Patented St John miscut, but apparently still the highest graded.  I gradually bought most of Metro's Bakers.  There wasn't much of a rush because I think most old-time Baker collectors considered them overpriced -- which they probably were at the time.  Bought most of them for 5% to 10% off their listing price.

pic1052a_zpscf6298f2.JPG

7 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Other Golden Age.  The no-man's land where successful online dealers like Mile High Chuck, The Fish, and the Other David A. list their romance books.  Someone was asking earlier where do you find bargains?  Go hunting in Other Golden Age auction style listings is the first answer that comes to mind.

I get adding a listing to Other Golden as a secondary listing area for another .50, I believe.  That is good business, a little more exposure.  Using it as the stand alone listing designation for romance?  Say what?  No back scans on mid to lower grade books?  You can drop the back scan of a 9.2, we can assume the back is relatively clean even if we don't see it.  On a 4.0, there could be any number of distasteful defects you personally have a hate for lurking on the flip.  For the life of me I just don't get the upside to this decision. Little crumbs of saved time that add up to minutes of value to the Worlds Most Efficient Dealers? 

Notice again the participation of a handful of the same guys chasing these books.  The beauty of the net - you only need two.  Not a high bar and Ebay's exposure is vast.

Having said all that, congrats to buyers and Dale.  At least he brings his Bakers to Ebay.  Romance is still, and will always remain the undervalued and underpopulated genre in relation to the others.  It is in the DNA of collectors, which is gender skewed to the absolute max to male, to abhor Romance.  It is fascinating that Cartoon Characters and Westerns have a listing presence in keeping with their market saturation of the time, whereas Romance, approximately a quarter of the market from '49 to '51, represent 3% of the GA listings on Ebay.  And that's now - 15 years ago it was a total wasteland trolled by mutants like myself and a few savory others.  And you'd find maybe a half a box's worth of books in total at a convention.

Another informed and incisive post! (worship)(worship)

Joanna may have started this thread, but Dr. Love is its Godfather; its eminence grise, its Yoda! 

Looking over the books in this auction, there's also the interesting matter of getting them graded by the other guys:  Faster TATs? Lower slabbing prices?  That extra 0.5 to 1.0 grade? 

7 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I only watch Baker non romance... if that hasn't been made obvious yet... so I can only comment on those.

I'd say the APC final prices sure don't seem to have been hurt by who's slabs those were in.  Those all went significantly higher than recent cgc/raw prices I've seen for that title... 50-100% over the last year easy.

To give the other guys their due, I would say that in recent times their grading has tightened or improved or converged on CGC grading -- however you want to look at it.  But I have yet to get a higher grade from CGC on a resub of one of the other guys' slabs, although I've gotten more books back that at least hold their grades.  I wouldn't say "buy with confidence," but you are probably less likely to get burned (as I was) than you were a couple of years ago.  Of course, this matters more for keys and higher-dollar books than for books like these.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:51 PM, MBFan said:

Dumb is not a word that would ever apply to Mr. Roberts.

What about odd, or goofy, or peculiar?

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, MBFan said:

Dumb is not a word that would ever apply to Mr. Roberts.

What about odd, or goofy, or peculiar?

....and now, back to our regularly scheduled program......

...... what about this Baker Romance Classic featuring a half nekkit jungle boy trying to put the moves on a frisky crocodile....? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

veQNKq2.jpg

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

....and now, back to our regularly scheduled program......

...... what about this Baker Romance Classic featuring a half nekkit jungle boy named Dale Roberts trying to put the moves on a frisky crocodile....? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

veQNKq2.jpg

fixed (thumbsu

The wonderful thing about tiggers
is tiggers are wonderful things
their tops are made out of rubber
their bottoms are made out of strings

They're bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy
fun, fun, fun, fun, fun
The wonderful, wonderful thing about tiggers
is I'm the only one!  

WildBoy11_pb.jpg