• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #9

#3 - TLP #5

#4 - TLP #10

#5 - TLP #2

#6 - TLP #8

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #6

#9 - TLP #3

#10 - TLP #7

#11 - TLP #1

Thanks Peter - another TLP 11 fan! :) 

Based on the feedback, I'm going to re-rank these:

#1 - TLP 11

#2 - TLP 10

#3 - TLP 9

#4 - TLP 5

#5 - TLP 2

#6 - TLP 3

#7 - TLP 8

#8 - TLP 4

#9 - TLP 6

#10 - TLP 7

#11 - TLP 1 (movie cover)

I am more comfortable with this revision - our man Matt did performed very well on this short series! :headbang:

Edited by sacentaur

32 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Maybe I am being dense, but I don't get it. What is the double entendre?

The girl is saying "if Sue can get married, so can we". Is she referring to the girls marrying each other? (I had a female friend point that out to me, me being so naive and all).

32 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Maybe I am being dense, but I don't get it. What is the double entendre?

Edited by comicnoir

I thought the Crown Comics 6 9.4 went a little low -- $776.  Not one of Baker's best non-romance covers by a long shot, but still surprising that a 9.4 Baker of any variety didn't crack $1,000.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, JvR11 said:

Which issues are you missing?

Out of the 62 Jumbo issues with Skygirl, I am missing around 20. They are:

Jumbo 68,69,71,74-78,80,82,87,95,107,108,110,113,117,118,121,123,129

There is a total of 370 pages of Skygirl material all of which is drawn by Matt Baker except the 6 page introduction story from Jumbo 68. That is by Alex Blum. There is a large amount of overlap with Ghost Gallery and ZX-5 by Jack Kamen (with a couple Baker stories) in these issues. I have also started mapping out those books as well. The Kamen interiors are pretty solid and worth being seen again by a modern audience.

49 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

The girl is saying "if Sue can get married, so can we". Is she referring to the girls marrying each other? (I had a female friend point that out to me, me being so naive and all).

Can't say that I have ever read it that way. I haven't read the story the cover refers to, but I somehow doubt that was what the cover was going for at the time. Not sure I would include this a double entendre cover even if that was the meaning.

57 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

That would be pretty progressive for the times.

I thought it meant that the girls see their friend getting hitched, so they would go sleep with a man to entice matrimony. 

1 minute ago, Shrevvy said:
54 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Can't say that I have ever read it that way. I haven't read the story the cover refers to, but I somehow doubt that was what the cover was going for at the time. Not sure I would include this a double entendre cover even if that was the meaning.

You may well be right and we'll never know, of course.  A lesbian relationship was strictly taboo even in those pre-Code days, so the cover couldn't have been "going for it" in the sense that the typical reader would interpret it that way.  But to a modern reader, that interpretation does suggest itself.  Baker being gay makes it possible that he meant it as an inside joke.

2 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
29 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The DS 30 on Heritage sold for a strong price -- $2,390.  Only a 4.5, but the highest graded copy of a very tough book.

It sold for almost as much as the DS 17 in 7.5, with pen scribbling.

Yeah, that DS 17 was my copy. I own the other 7.5, so I thought I would sell this one off.  Clearly the market dinged that book for the scribbling more than the CGC graders did. As a group, those books are pretty nice and look as if she read them only once and didn't actually lend them to the friends whose names she wrote on the covers.  

On 2/24/2018 at 3:38 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, that DS 17 was my copy. I own the other 7.5, so I thought I would sell this one off.  Clearly the market dinged that book for the scribbling more than the CGC graders did. As a group, those books are pretty nice and look as if she read them only once and didn't actually lend them to the friends whose names she wrote on the covers.  

I think helped out your DS17 quite a bit. Every time I got outbid past $1800 or so the bidding would stop until I bid again. I wanted the book but whoever won wanted it more.

45 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

PR 17 vs. PR 18

Two tough books to be sure, which one do you prefer (and why)? Note: images are from GCD

PR 17.jpg

PR18.jpg

My guess is that people's choice here will be PR 17 because it's a very strong GGA cover, but I vote for PR 18.  I like it when Baker does something different -- not that I don't love most of his straight romance covers, as well!  Clearly, when a comic is called Pictorial Romances and is aimed at primarily an audience of teenage girls, a domestic scene gone seriously wrong is about the last thing you might expect for a cover.  But I think he does a great job with it.

In particular, the expression on the woman is perfect.  There she is struggling to deal with a crying baby, while her enraged husband is about to fly the coop.  She seems scared, worried, and lost. 

32 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

I think helped out your DS17 quite a bit. Every time I got outbid past $1800 or so the bidding would stop until I bid again. I wanted the book but whoever won wanted it more.

I thank you and my children thank you! :foryou:

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

PR 17 vs. PR 18

Two tough books to be sure, which one do you prefer (and why)? Note: images are from GCD

PR 17.jpg

PR18.jpg

2 of the best covers ever. The second one is atypical and I happen to like it a lot. Shows how great Baker was with body language and other subtle details. The 17 is more erotic, in a way we've seen before, and it is note perfect, but the angry domestic scene is classic. It has pathos and shows the other side of love. You couldn't have picked better examples of his genius.

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

PR 17 vs. PR 18

PR 17.jpg

PR18.jpg

Oh, easy for me. I go #17 hands down. #18 although a beautiful cover, is very disturbing to me. As a matter of fact, I have never purchased a copy because of it. 

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

While I usually like to celebrate my el-cheapo finds, I must admit that occasionally I go bananas....picked up these 2 recently...and probably increased the value of the Baker babe non-romance portfolios of everyone on the boards in the process, so...you're all welcome.  Particularly happy with the AGS 15, its the highest graded Baker in my collection now and one that I really love.

ags15vf.jpg

approved12finepluscgc.jpg

Those are both great books.  The only Baker zombie cover?  And then the ripped dress... scary sexy!

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

While I usually like to celebrate my el-cheapo finds, I must admit that occasionally I go bananas....picked up these 2 recently...and probably increased the value of the Baker babe non-romance portfolios of everyone on the boards in the process, so...you're all welcome.  Particularly happy with the AGS 15, its the highest graded Baker in my collection now and one that I really love.

ags15vf.jpg

approved12finepluscgc.jpg

Gorgeous copies!