• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

The TADS 9 reprints stories from TADS 7, combined with the pocket format and blown-up panel cover it seems to be a cheap gimmick (though acknowledged as super-tough).

From what I understand is that the TADS9 might have been remainder copies of TADS 7.  The pocket editions maybe didn't sell very well.  

IMG_3701_zpsif41hzxw.JPG

9 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

That is the plan. My Jumbo collection is still missing some issues. So, I don't have all the material yet. I'm on the road, but I have the book mapped out at home. It is a couple hundred pages of Skygirl material, if I remember correctly.

Which issues are you missing?

44 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Let's say a Baker comic is valued at $100; what is the value of its pence equivalent?

Values for even the US editions of Baker books are largely arbitrary, due to a variety of factors.  I would imagine this to be the case, even more so, for UK and Australian editions.  One thing I'd say is fairly certain; "pence" editions would likely be valued lower than US editions.  Even though the foreign editions are certainly scarcer, more collectors will be looking to acquire US editions- that's just the reality of the market.  

AussieTAR06.jpg

AussieTAR29.jpg

7 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Values for even the US editions of Baker books are largely arbitrary, due to a variety of factors.  I would imagine this to be the case, even more so, for UK and Australian editions.  One thing I'd say is fairly certain; "pence" editions would likely be valued lower than US editions.  Even though the foreign editions are certainly scarcer, more collectors will be looking to acquire US editions- that's just the reality of the market.  

AussieTAR06.jpg

AussieTAR29.jpg

Yeah, I would assume foreign price would be lower -- following the same pattern as superhero fare -- but didn't know if the "Baker effect" impacted the disparity, closing the gap a bit.

20 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Yeah, I would assume foreign price would be lower -- following the same pattern as superhero fare -- but didn't know if the "Baker effect" impacted the disparity, closing the gap a bit.

It would be interesting to find out if that is the case, but foreign editions of Baker books come up for sale so rarely.  It's not like SA Spider-Man, for example, where each issue has a pence equivalent.  Just a relative handful of St. John reprints got published in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, and I don't think a lot of effort was devoted to matching covers to original content.

18 minutes ago, manetteska said:
29 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

AussieTAR06.jpg

AussieTAR29.jpg

You never know what might happen in an auction, but I would guess that it well might.  These are really very scarce.  Marvel SA pence copies, are fairly common for the most part, although I know that particular issues are tough.  So, even, though they are much scarcer than the cents copies they typically sell at a significant discount, I think.

Sounds like a question for @Marwood & I !

Just now, 29dukedog said:

It would be interesting to find out if that is the case, but foreign editions of Baker books come up for sale so rarely.  It's not like SA Spider-Man, for example, where each issue has a pence equivalent.  Just a relative handful of St. John reprints got published in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, and I don't think a lot of effort was devoted to matching covers to original content.

Our posts crossed, but I think we are making the same point.

17 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

There is a pence version I can make an offer on but don't know where to start. Perhaps I'll pressure the seller to make the first move and see where it goes.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, manetteska said:

There is a pence version I can make an offer on but don't know where to start. Perhaps I'll pressure the seller to make the first move and see where it goes.

Thanks!

You can start by passing on the contact info to me in a PM!  :takeit:

8 hours ago, Yorick said:

You can start by passing on the contact info to me in a PM!  :takeit:

Seller refused to give a price and refused to disclose/admit the rust clearly shown in his pictures. I offered a price based on the rust I could see and someone else offered more.

Here's my ranking for the True Love Pictorial (TLP) covers, and a reminder link:

https://www.comics.org/series/18749/

RANK

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #10

#3 - TLP #2

#4 - TLP #3

#5 - TLP #9

#6 - TLP #7

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #8

#9 - TLP #5

#10 - TLP #6

#11 - TLP #1 (photo cover)

REVISED (see below)

Edited by sacentaur
Revised List

15 hours ago, manetteska said:

Seller refused to give a price and refused to disclose/admit the rust clearly shown in his pictures. I offered a price based on the rust I could see and someone else offered more.

Not me, but I did recently win an Australian Baker...  VERY affordable.

Western Bandit.JPG

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

ranking for the True Love Pictorial

2, 5 and 9 are the top for me.  I like 11, but don't see why so many people put that at the top.  Sorry.

16 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Here's my ranking for the True Love Pictorial (TLP) covers, and a reminder link:

RANK

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #10

#3 - TLP #2

#4 - TLP #3

#5 - TLP #9

#6 - TLP #7

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #8

#9 - TLP #5

#10 - TLP #6

#11 - TLP #1 (photo cover)

My ranking:

10 (Loved this cover from the first time I saw it.  One of my top five Baker covers.)

11 (Obvious classic)

5 (All of Baker's fire-escape gal covers are great.  I picture him on a hot summer night in Harlem, in a similar situation -- hanging out on the fire escape outside his apartment.)

4 (Definitely a double entendre to modern readers -- who knows if Baker intended it?)

2 (Such a great central figure)

9 (Gets some extra point for being such a tough book)

8 (Originally intended as a WTR cover?)

6 (Needed a better caption)

3 (Like how he made the tree the banner for the title)

7 (Not that I don't like it; just the competition is sooo tough!)

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My ranking:

10 (Loved this cover from the first time I saw it.  One of my top five Baker covers.)

11 (Obvious classic)

5 (All of Baker's fire-escape gal covers are great.  I picture him on a hot summer night in Harlem, in a similar situation -- hanging out on the fire escape outside his apartment.)

4 (Definitely a double entendre to modern readers -- who knows if Baker intended it?)

2 (Such a great central figure)

9 (Gets some extra point for being such a tough book)

8 (Originally intended as a WTR cover?)

6 (Needed a better caption)

3 (Like how he made the tree the banner for the title)

7 (Not that I don't like it; just the competition is sooo tough!)

Thanks Tony - it appears that I under-ranked TLP 5.

I also love TLP 10, the panel cover is a classic IMHO.

Looking at TLP 7 again, the composition is too cluttered, I would drop it a few spots in retrospect.

Regarding the TLP 3, I adore the layout and colors on this one (even though the scene depicted is rather trite). :cloud9:

20 hours ago, sacentaur said:

RANK

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #10

#3 - TLP #2

#4 - TLP #3

#5 - TLP #9

#6 - TLP #7

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #8

#9 - TLP #5

#10 - TLP #6