• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,322 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

I don't think there's any "new" Baker material that hasn't seen print, so I imagine it is all "reprints".  The quality seems pretty low, but I do not have a copy to say for certain.  I believe most of his St John work is public domain, so there are certainly hacks out there who will steal Digital Comic Museum scans and reprint them.

I do have a copy of Romance Without Tears, and the quality is fantastic.  If you are a Baker fan, that one is a must have.

https://www.amazon.com/Romance-Without-Tears-Comics-Twist/dp/156097558X

I second that emotion on Romance without Tears. 

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Not going to be "high" grade, but with only four copies on the census I figured I'd sent it in.  I'll post the grade when it returns.

CGC Sub20180006.JPG

It's a tough one.  I sent my copy in for grading recently, so we'll be increasing the census count by 50%!

3 minutes ago, sagii said:

There was an eBay seller who thought this one was a 'could be' Baker. They do appear separated at birth hm  Or maybe just a 'knock off'...

https://www.comics.org/issue/247995/cover/4/

Not him, but the soldier kissing the blonde in the background do look like a Baker knockoff.  Not from a cover, I don't think, but maybe from an interior panel?

In the 15 years I've been watching eBay, I believe this is the only copy of this book I've ever seen for sale there.  (There was a CGC 5.0 that sold on Comiclink about two years ago, and that was the only copy I'd ever seen for sale, until that time.) 

The auction was listed in Golden Age Crime, the seller made no mention of Matt Baker or St. John, and the auction title did not entirely represent the title of the book.  I do think it flew under the radar of at least a few folks who probably would've bid it up even higher.  

9 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

In the 15 years I've been watching eBay, I believe this is the only copy of this book I've ever seen for sale there.  (There was a CGC 5.0 that sold on Comiclink about two years ago, and that was the only copy I'd ever seen for sale, until that time.) 

The auction was listed in Golden Age Crime, the seller made no mention of Matt Baker or St. John, and the auction title did not entirely represent the title of the book.  I do think it flew under the radar of at least a few folks who probably would've bid it up even higher.  

Indeed it did.  I overlooked it.  Another instance of a seller costing himself some dough by selling something on eBay when he doesn't really know what he's got. I'm surprised it went as high as it did under the circumstances.

I wonder why writing "eBay" automatically generates a link?  Does the board's host get a payment every time we click on that link in a thread? hm

33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Indeed it did.  I overlooked it.  Another instance of a seller costing himself some dough by selling something on eBay when he doesn't really know what he's got. I'm surprised it went as high as it did under the circumstances.

Agreed, I just happened to stumble across it with less than a day left in the auction.  I've never seen it before for sale, and it's in incredible condition for a square bound book.  Due to the flaws in the listing (as already mentioned), I thought I might get it at a low price.  Still, I put in a max bid of $1200 -- which in 6 months might seem like a low price for this book.  You know the way ebay gets as the bidnapper bids come in, everything freezes up?  In that moment I thought I had won it.  But after the dust settled I was one of the under bidders.  Oh well ...

5 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

OH man!!! This is THE BOOK I have wanted. This guy got half price. :frown:

Well, if even you missed, then I don't feel so bad about overlooking it.  :)

At one time, I think I had searches on eBay for about every possible Baker title.  But after awhile the blizzard of, mostly irrelevant, e-mails I would get each day made me pare my searches way back.  I rarely go randomly cruising through the GA listings anymore, so there was almost no chance that I'd stumble on this book.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, if even you missed, then I don't feel so bad about overlooking it.  :)

At one time, I think I had searches on eBay for about every possible Baker title.  But after awhile the blizzard of, mostly irrelevant, e-mails I would get each day made me pare my searches way back.  I rarely go randomly cruising through the GA listings anymore, so there was almost no chance that I'd stumble on this book.

Same here

30 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I try to do that frequently, which is exactly how I found it.  If it makes anyone feel better, I entered a nuclear snipe in the last second, because I was certain there would be at least one other like-minded bidder...   

I'd begun to honestly believe I'd never own a copy of this book.  (But, I'm sure I'll never find a Diary Secrets nn giant...)  

atappc2_001.jpg

Glad I didn’t cost you another grand. Awesome book!

37 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Congrats! Great pickup.  Glad it went to someone who will add it to his collection. 

Thanks.  Yes- no flipper, I.  

8 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Glad I didn’t cost you another grand. Awesome book!

That's what I fully expected someone would do.  So, thank you, too.  

Edited by 29dukedog

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I try to do that frequently, which is exactly how I found it.  If it makes anyone feel better, I entered a nuclear snipe in the last second, because I was certain there would be at least one other like-minded bidder...   

I'd begun to honestly believe I'd never own a copy of this book.  (But, I'm sure I'll never find a Diary Secrets nn giant...)  

atappc2_001.jpg

BIG congratulations.  I am among the list of individuals who did not see this listing (and I have ALL the titles in my search feed - sometimes it just filters correct matches out :screwy:).  It belongs side-by-side with APC7!

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

atappc2_001.jpg

:golfclap:Big congrats!

6 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

atappc2_001.jpg

Wow, congrats. That is one tough book and you got it for well under fair market. I'm terrible at searches, so like many here I missed it completely.