• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,334 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:
2 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

What tier would It Rhymes with Lust fall in? hm

That one seems to have morphed from a "must have" to a "kinda want." 

:frown:

4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

What tier would It Rhymes with Lust fall in? hm

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It is still the first "graphic novel", and I recall reading that it is very scarce.  Maybe the problem is in slabbing.  The cover is not the best thing to look at, but unless you have a raw copy, that's ALL you see.

3 minutes ago, Yorick said:

It is still the first "graphic novel", and I recall reading that it is very scarce.  Maybe the problem is in slabbing.  The cover is not the best thing to look at, but unless you have a raw copy, that's ALL you see.

There's an inexpensive reprint available https://www.amazon.com/Rhymes-Lust-Revisited-Noir-Baker/dp/0692709525/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527879230&sr=8-1&keywords=it+rhymes+with+lust

It's a good read. 

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

You cheated and went to look at my registry set!:golfclap:

PR17 CGC45 (1).JPG

Nope!  I just figured you were probably hoping for something in the 5.0/5.5 range and marked it down a bit because you said you were disappointed in the grade. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Sad. It's historically significant, scarce, and has wall-to-wall Baker art....even the back cover!

1 hour ago, october said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Sad. It's historically significant, scarce, and has wall-to-wall Baker art....even the back cover!

Tier 1! Tier 1! Tier 1!

I think GCE 12 has even more appeal than just Baker and GGA. It's the most valuable romance comic as designated by Overstreet, thus it's appeal to romance collectors. But I know ppl who are none of the above chasing this because of it's iconic status. It's an important book.

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

You cheated and went to look at my registry set!:golfclap:

PR17 CGC45 (1).JPG

What looks to be a water stain on the back knocked it down because it sure looks at least a 5.0 and better imho 

15 hours ago, Ryan. said:
16 hours ago, october said:
16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Tier 1! Tier 1! Tier 1!

And now I reveal why I care at all about the tier of this book:

001.jpg

9 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I assume it was a BIN. Kind of interesting that the seller knew what he had and still put a low price on it. 

23 hours ago, comicnoir said:

I think GCE 12 has even more appeal than just Baker and GGA. It's the most valuable romance comic as designated by Overstreet, thus it's appeal to romance collectors. But I know ppl who are none of the above chasing this because of it's iconic status. It's an important book.

It was also an expensive book long before the rest of the Baker Romance books shot through the roof. Low grade copies sold for around a grand 15 years ago, when you could buy most of the St. John books in VG for $50 or less. 

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I assume it was a BIN. Kind of interesting that the seller knew what he had and still put a low price on it. 

I saw that book when it popped up and passed on it, due to low grade and washed out colors, I had no idea that price was considered a bargain.

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I saw that book when it popped up and passed on it, due to low grade and washed out colors, I had no idea that price was considered a bargain.

I agree that this copy is kind of a wreck, but it's such a tough book that I think $100 is way too low.  I'm pretty sure it would have sold for at least $500 at auction and I wouldn't have been shocked to see it go for more.  Maybe we'll see it again at auction. 

Here's my copy, which I snagged raw on eBay a few years ago. 

2018-02-02-0001_zpsengssw10.JPG

24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I agree that this copy is kind of a wreck, but it's such a tough book that I think $100 is way too low.  I'm pretty sure it would have sold for at least $500 at auction and I wouldn't have been shocked to see it go for more.  Maybe we'll see it again at auction. 

Here's my copy, which I snagged raw on eBay a few years ago. 

2018-02-02-0001_zpsengssw10.JPG

Does it contain any Baker art? The cover doesn't look like Baker to me, so is it just super-rare?

6 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Does it contain any Baker art? The cover doesn't look like Baker to me, so is it just super-rare?

There's some debate, but the consensus seems to be that the cover is Baker.  The book is made up of remaindered copies of other St John romance books.  My copy contained remaindered issues that had several Baker stories, but I don't seem to have jotted down which ones they were. 

I guess it could be Baker, though it lacks any of the distinct look most of his work has. Other than painted covers, did anyone else illustrate St. John romance covers beyond Baker?