• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,322 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Kind of surprising that such an experienced seller didn't seem to realize what he had.  Still got around FMV, imo. https://www.ebay.com/itm/362322029349?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true

I was still surprised it didn't go for more, honestly...maybe that was due to the title neglecting to mention a certain gentleman artist...

1 minute ago, PeterPark said:

I was still surprised it didn't go for more, honestly...maybe that was due to the title neglecting to mention a certain gentleman artist...

Looks like a CGC 5.0 sold for $2,738 in February.  The seller graded this book as a 6.0, but given the damage to the upper spine, whatever is going on with the page sticking out, and misc. other wear, I don't see it grading that high.  It needs a press, but whether it's pressable with the spine damage, I don't know.

Maybe at some point we'll see it surface as a graded copy. 

Anybody hear win that Love Confessions early this morning? I REALLY wanted that one but it was 4 something this morning here in NYC when it closed. Set an alarm but was so asleep didn't even realize I shut it off and  immediately went back to sleep :cry:

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

Anybody hear win that Love Confessions early this morning? I REALLY wanted that one but it was 4 something this morning here in NYC when it closed. Set an alarm but was so asleep didn't even realize I shut it off and  immediately went back to sleep :cry:

I'm with you.  I threw in a bid and went to bed.  Woke up to find that I'd lost.  Crazy ending time, even for a West Coast seller.  I guess he had insomnia one night and started posting stuff on eBay

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Kind of surprising that such an experienced seller didn't seem to realize what he had.  Still got around FMV, imo. https://www.ebay.com/itm/362322029349?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true

They are definitely on the clueless side. There was a window of time years ago when I enjoyed buying directly from their site, as they barely seemed to know what they had. :D

1 minute ago, Point Five said:

They are definitely on the clueless side. There was a window of time years ago when I enjoyed buying directly from their site, as they barely seemed to know what they had. :D

Judging from his con displays, it seems as if his focus is OA.  Still, he has a ton of comics and you would think that at this late date, he would know who Matt Baker was.  He's lucky he didn't list this as a BIN for a couple of hundred. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Looks like a CGC 5.0 sold for $2,738 in February.  The seller graded this book as a 6.0, but given the damage to the upper spine, whatever is going on with the page sticking out, and misc. other wear, I don't see it grading that high.  It needs a press, but whether it's pressable with the spine damage, I don't know.

Maybe at some point we'll see it surface as a graded copy. 

I agree.  Definitely needs a press, especially the back.  But the cover presents really well.  I put in an aggressive bid (for me) but lost.  I'd like to say that now I have money for C-Link, but those auctions are crazy high this month.

Edited by n2wdw

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Link please?

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A few days ago, I contacted the seller asking for photos and a description of what was wrong with the interior of this book. It's obvious from the rear cover scan that there is a jagged torn edge poking out at the side, and a page sticking out the top WITH ART ON IT. The seller responded that he would provide more photos...but he never did, so I didn't enter any bid. If there are torn siamese pages that affect the art, the grade will suffer greatly. That book is NOT a 6.0. 

6 hours ago, MBFan said:

A few days ago, I contacted the seller asking for photos and a description of what was wrong with the interior of this book. It's obvious from the rear cover scan that there is a jagged torn edge poking out at the side, and a page sticking out the top WITH ART ON IT. The seller responded that he would provide more photos...but he never did, so I didn't enter any bid. If there are torn siamese pages that affect the art, the grade will suffer greatly. That book is NOT a 6.0. 

That concerned to too.  Also I was worried about trimming at the bottom since the text is cut off.  My bid did not win, but if it did I planned to submit to CGC and if it came back less significantly less than his advertised 6.0 or restored, I was going to go back to Anthony and seek a refund of some of the money.  I don't know if that would work, but I've bought from Anthony for many years and he seems like a fair guy.

9 hours ago, MBFan said:

Maybe if he had realized what he had, he would have taken more care with the description and would have been better about responding to inquiries. For a stray mid-grade romance book, which is apparently all he thought it was, he may not have thought it worth caring about. 

11 hours ago, MBFan said:

This. 

Anthony told me the book was unrestored and he didn't feel like grading it and waiting the amount of time it would take to get it back.  He also did not answer my question about the page sticking out of the top which is also why I did not bid more.

Nice.  I'm a particular fan of the 7.  For a long time, I couldn't find a decent copy of that one.  There was a copy on eBay, but somebody had written her name up the leg of the woman on the left.  I finally did find a better copy.