• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,336 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I guess it could be Baker, though it lacks any of the distinct look most of his work has. Other than painted covers, did anyone else illustrate St. John romance covers beyond Baker? 

Off the top of my head, I think the answer is no.  TAR 28-30 are non-Baker covers, but they are all painted.  There are many St John non-romance covers that aren't by Baker, of course. 

And my $500 estimate for this copy was really just based on what I would be willing to pay if I didn't have a copy.  I would certainly pay that for the first issue of this series (the only Baker St John book that I need) in similar condition.  And I could see myself being pushed higher in a CC or HA auction. 

50 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I guess it could be Baker, though it lacks any of the distinct look most of his work has. Other than painted covers, did anyone else illustrate St. John romance covers beyond Baker? 

Kubert - Hollywood Confessions

19 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Why does it show Pictorial Romances 18 (total beater copy) when I look it up?  Why am I missing all these All Picture books on ebay?!!! rantrant

On 6/1/2018 at 2:21 PM, comicjack said:

What looks to be a water stain on the back knocked it down because it sure looks at least a 5.0 and better imho 

It's a dust shadow, but I assume the major grade impact is the paper lifting at the spine (paper is still there of course).  So tough to find those Giants with nice spines....

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:
3 hours ago, rjpb said:

Kubert - Hollywood Confessions

Good one!  I forgot about this book. 

Holl_zpsfymssut2.JPG

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

Why does it show Pictorial Romances 18 (total beater copy) when I look it up?  Why am I missing all these All Picture books on ebay?!!! rantrant

I think it sold very quickly because it didn't show up in my daily eBay e-mails of Baker listings.

1 hour ago, eccomic said:

:shy:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I would buy that book all day long!  I didn't realize that it was a Giant Comics Edition?!!

39 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I would buy that book all day long!  I didn't realize that it was a Giant Comics Edition?!!

It's technically not part of the GCE series - it is its own short lived series with only 2 issues

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

Because eBay, in their wisdom, no longer lets us see completed listings. Instead they take us to a "similar" active listing.  

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/434303-ebays-latest-stupidity/

Edited by october

15 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

There is no way that A-P A-T Love Story #2 is a Baker cover. Doesn't look like him, the characters are stiff and waxen. Just a hack job.

I used to STRONGLY believe that.  Now I only weakly believe it.  The girl's face has some Baker feel to it IMO.  Probably an Iger style mash-up.

10 minutes ago, szavisca said:

That dragon claw right hand of hers is kinda wonky...

There you go. These boards were always talking about Baker's hands, the middle fingers touching. Not this time. Even the comic cover it most closely resembles, Going Steady 14, which I don't like, has more going for it.

...Debates on what's Baker and what isn't are plentiful on this Board. I think a topic worthy of it's own Thread as long as the books posted are limited to 'question mark' contenders so as not to have yet another Baker love fest Thread (not that anythings wrong with that :foryou: ). But the Fox, Fiction House and Quality contenders alone would make for interesting fodder and maybe we can all come to our own consensus and 'Knight' some of these.

This one isn't credited to him in any of the Baker tribute books or the AE piece, but to use an old tired but relevant line: Even Stevie Wonder can see, this is Baker :luhv:

Heart Throbs #30.jpg

1 minute ago, sagii said:

...Debates on what's Baker and what isn't are plentiful on this Board. I think a topic worthy of it's own Thread as long as the books posted are limited to 'question mark' contenders so as not to have yet another Baker love fest Thread (not that anythings wrong with that :foryou: ). But the Fox, Fiction House and Quality contenders alone would make for interesting fodder and maybe we can all come to our own consensus and 'Knight' some of these.

This one isn't credited to him in any of the Baker tribute books or the AE piece, but to use an old tired but relevant line: Even Stevie Wonder can see, this is Baker :luhv:

Heart Throbs #30.jpg

Ray Charles objects!

Actually, the checklist in The Art of Glamour does credit this one to Baker.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:32 PM, Yorick said:
On 6/2/2018 at 10:14 PM, comicnoir said:

There is no way that A-P A-T Love Story #2 is a Baker cover. Doesn't look like him, the characters are stiff and waxen. Just a hack job.

I used to STRONGLY believe that.  Now I only weakly believe it.  The girl's face has some Baker feel to it IMO.  Probably an Iger style mash-up.

I think we've kicked this one around before a couple of times.  I lean towards the suggestion somebody made (I forget who) that Baker did the pencils and somebody else inked it up the wazoo.