• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

TrueLovePictorial5.jpg

This past weekend at the Toronto Comicon I found this for her...she LOVES covers with green dresses so needless to say she is very happy with it!

I'd love the cover even if she didn't have the green dress on. :devil:

TrueLovePictorial5.jpg

This past weekend at the Toronto Comicon I found this for her...she LOVES covers with green dresses so needless to say she is very happy with it!

:roflmao:

TrueLovePictorial5.jpg

:roflmao:

No laughing at good taste.

:cloud9:

I found a couple more Baker covers on line. Unfortunately they are not romance but I like them. The first several issues of Authentic Police Cases had costumed super heroes but not Baker. Then he started doing covers and finally some stories. I think there are a couple of nice stories in issue 11 but none in 8 although the cover is really nice.

bb

2797304525_e67773a289_o.jpg2797304747_9d4df409c2_b.jpg

The color is slightly off on the second cover. I fixed the main character but there is still a weird effect that makes the rest of the front cover seem out of focus don't you think.

bb

Recent acquisition..

PR17.jpg

Darn nice looking giant! :headbang:

Recent acquisition..

Ever notice how on virtually every hand that Baker drew, the two middle fingers are together and the other two fingers are spread out.

Ken

Fred Astaire also used that technique when he danced. He thought it made his hands look shorter. Disney always chopped one finger off. And I guess he thought that made it easier to draw. Baker used all four fingers when the characters were holding a gun.

bb

2803059693_01834f12f8_b.jpg

Recent acquisition..

Ever notice how on virtually every hand that Baker drew, the two middle fingers are together and the other two fingers are spread out.

Ken

Fred Astaire also used that technique when he danced. He thought it made his hands look shorter. Disney always chopped one finger off. And I guess he thought that made it easier to draw. Baker used all four fingers when the characters were holding a gun.

bb

2803059693_01834f12f8_b.jpg

It's easier to draw three fingers than four. Baker (and other artists) put the two middle fingers together. Disney merely dropped the fourth finger. (Probably because he could.)

Recent acquisition..

Ken

bb

Great pick-up JvR11!

Baker is all about the hands. The hands don't play nearly as important a role in his St.John's work as they do in his Fiction House stories, but they serve a purpose. In his Tiger Girl and Sky Girl stories, the hands usually point you to where he wants you to look. More often than not that pointing is in service of the composition. However, he will sneak things in there. (What is the woman in the background of the Teen-Age Romances 17 cover pointing at, and why is the blonde's top hand in that position?)

Recent acquisition..

PR17.jpg

Ken

Frank Miller was famous for that. I loved that he did that...it makes the character seem more elegant...more fluid. An artist that draws hands well needs to be taken with serious appreciation...that is a tough part of the body to master.

R.