• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

That was Matt's recommendation. He explained that long ago restored books were not devalued so much, so people would restore a 5.0 or so into a 9.0 etc. Now the 5.0 book is more valuable than any grade you can restore one to look like. So it makes no sense to spend more money on a book that will be worth less than what it was worth before you start. I'll send them to him along with others to see what he thinks first hand.

I agree, scans almost always looks better. For my preference, I would just leave those books unrestored.

I too believe that an unrestored book is by far a better choice than restoring.They are great books as they are. (worship)

Metro has a gorgeous CGC 9.0 copy right now if anyone is shopping for one. One of the best looking 9.0's I've seen if not THE best.

Metro90.jpg

You know...I think that 9.0 you saw on Metro may be the Mound City copy. Here's a link to the Mound City 8.0 scan on iCollector...the defect locations and art placement look identical, particularly the spinner-rack crease below the 12-cent circle. If this is indeed the Mound City copy, then I clearly don't know how to identify upgrade candidates...I didn't think that book would even get an 8.5 with that spinner crimp. :boo:

http://www.icollector.com/images/1170/14983/14983_0868_1_lg.jpg

Metro has a gorgeous CGC 9.0 copy right now if anyone is shopping for one. One of the best looking 9.0's I've seen if not THE best.

Metro90.jpg

You know...I think that 9.0 you saw on Metro may be the Mound City copy. Here's a link to the Mound City 8.0 scan on iCollector...the defect locations and art placement look identical, particularly the spinner-rack crease below the 12-cent circle. If this is indeed the Mound City copy, then I clearly don't know how to identify upgrade candidates...I didn't think that book would even get an 8.5 with that spinner crimp. :boo:

http://www.icollector.com/images/1170/14983/14983_0868_1_lg.jpg

Great work! I have spent some time comparing the Mound copy 8.0 and Metropolis 9.0. The major creases, light creases, and printing defects are quite similar. What are the odds of having both copy with very similar characteristic hm ...because they are the same copy. The Mound AF15 probably had minor dents (that doesn't break color) and light dirt removal. This will be a good flip for the Mound buyer.

the mound copy seemed to have a color breaking scratch top of the cover that went through the "zing" in amazing... don't see it on the metro copy... that would be a tough flaw to remove (shrug)

the mound copy seemed to have a color breaking scratch top of the cover that went through the "zing" in amazing... don't see it on the metro copy... that would be a tough flaw to remove (shrug)

Are you seeing that on the scan? If so, it looks like that scratch is on the case, as it continues to be visible up past the top of the book. I can't imagine that book getting an 8.0, much less a 9.0, with a scratch like that.

The 8.0 ends tonight, I doubt I go for it though other than a lowball bid. Colors are too faded, plus ComicLink was lazy this month and wouldn't send me a high-res scan after I asked twice. :eyeroll:

You MAY win it with a lowball bid...no kidding. You break it you buy it... :wishluck:

I agree...comic prices are down this year across the board. Last year I was predicting that AF15 and FF1 prices would stay flat for a few years due to the huge increases in 2007-2008, but apparently I underestimated a bit--they've actually gone down slightly. We'll see if that continues...

You MAY win it with a lowball bid...no kidding. You break it you buy it... :wishluck:

I agree...comic prices are down this year across the board. Last year I was predicting that AF15 and FF1 prices would stay flat for a few years due to the huge increases in 2007-2008, but apparently I underestimated a bit--they've actually gone down slightly. We'll see if that continues...

high grade have not only gone down slightly (talking 7.0 to 8.5, not "really" high grade lol ) , they have dropped like a rock (well maybe not a rock, but I consider 20-45% declines across the board, something more than "slight")...

on the flipside, lower and mid grade have been level in the 4.0 to 6.5 range, and low grade (1.0-3.5) have actually been slightly up (now, I am not talking about folks asking $6900 for a 3.0, i am talking about folks selling 3.0's at auction, where they end up at 3726, etc... sales vs asking prices)

just my observation

high grade have not only gone down slightly (talking 7.0 to 8.5, not "really" high grade lol ) , they have dropped like a rock (well maybe not a rock, but I consider 20-45% declines across the board, something more than "slight")...

on the flipside, lower and mid grade have been level in the 4.0 to 6.5 range, and low grade (1.0-3.5) have actually been slightly up (now, I am not talking about folks asking $6900 for a 3.0, i am talking about folks selling 3.0's at auction, where they end up at 3726, etc... sales vs asking prices)

just my observation

Super high grade is absolutely, positively down, at least the two most popular Silver titles are anyway, Spidey and FF.