• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Thanks!

Dont worry, thats the last he'll see it for a LONG time (tsk)

He knows that AF15 is a famous and very expensive book so when i took the picture, i told him that my LCS let me borrow it just to take a picture of it with him. Somehow, he believed that and hasnt brought it up since. Hopefully, i can keep it a surprise from him until he's at least 16 or so.

That way you can keep it if he turns out to be a pain in the butt. :devil:

or hand him one of these and say, don't you remember that's what I bought for you?

AFreprint15C.jpg

I will post a new picture of my unrestored AF15 soon, here and in a short sale thread. It lost a chip from the top edge since I shipped it off, and made the 5.5 grade.

:cry:

What was it before you lost the chip?

I will post a new picture of my unrestored AF15 soon, here and in a short sale thread. It lost a chip from the top edge since I shipped it off, and made the 5.5 grade.

:cry:

What was it before you lost the chip?

6.0-6.5 to begin with I'd guess. That's a helluva thing to have happen--I'm sorry to hear it. :(

It's right there in the 5.5/6.0 range, Matt N. liked it as a 6.0 by a scan. CGC grading notes mention a cover stain going through to interior pages, which I don't recall seeing. So the staining and light creases probably place it at the 5.5 grade whether the tiny chip had not been knocked off. It just makes the top edge less presentable, it will hurt the sales more than the grade. I've posted pictures here of it raw, and just took pictures of it and other CGC ASM I'm about to sell. I'll post it there and here soon.

Psst, who needs a 9.2 ASM 4, tough book and very scarce? I need the money and a 9.0 is a better fit for my collection. Regards,

Everything I've sent to CGC has been OW/W, and one white paged Annual 1.

How does this look compared to the raw scan from two months ago?

af15cgc55.jpg

af15cgc55rear.jpg

AF1555front.jpg

Hard to say, but definitely border line 5.5-6.0 as Matt mentioned. The chip might have dropped it down to 5.5, but on a another day it may have looked 6.0. Looks fresh and bright and great PQ. (thumbs u

Thanks for the comments. I had thought the tiny rear cover tear would be the big issue when I sent it. I didn't expect them to find another stain, or to lose part of the top edge. I agree with the grade based on the grading notes and how it looks.

CGC is good at what they do, but I don't like how they value certain factors. My trimmed AF15 they gave a 6.0 to, but this book has a far better(stronger) spine. The other one is more fragile to handle due to the spine, being opened much more often than this one. This is a very solid book aside from the unfortunate creases etc.

I like shooting for high PQ also, though I am harsher than CGC is, way more harsh. I believe the PQ needs to be graded on a much more detailed scale. A numbered system would be wise, based on overall PQ instead of what seems to be just the lightest spot inside the book that CGC can find. Regards,

Yes, the slabs hide things, the little surface defects. You can barely see a lot of that kind of thing when you have a CGC book in hand. If I ever finish my collection I'll put them into Mylars as my raw books have always been. They look much better that way, though you can't let other people handle them like you can with a CGC book. Besides dropping one, you can let almost anyone handle a CGC book. I like that the most about CGC books, the safety and ease of displaying or showing them. Night,

Is that the copy from the most recent CLINK auction? Steller book !

Nope. That book is owned by another board member and posted previously in this thread. This book was bought raw by the previous owner and slabbed by him. It's a previously unknown copy.