• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I just sold a 1.0 for 4100... Another 1.0 that was SS'd went for 4500. Where on earth are you guys getting your numbers?

Also, Crazy Canuck bought a 1.0 copy this year on the Boards for 4,000.

By the way, I think the 1.0 SS you're referring to sold for a bit more, 4600-plus, and is the very one that is the subject of that brouhaha of a thread in General--involving theft. Apparently, someone did shell out the money for it on eBay, but the copy was stolen and is now being tracked down via Jimmy Linguiniii, Canadian authorities, Facebook citizens, and God knows who else.

Just to clarify its Captain Canuck, but I did pay a crazy price for my AF15.

I just sold a 1.0 for 4100... Another 1.0 that was SS'd went for 4500. Where on earth are you guys getting your numbers?

By the way, I think the 1.0 SS you're referring to sold for a bit more, 4600-plus, and is the very one that is the subject of that brouhaha of a thread in General--involving theft. Apparently, someone did shell out the money for it on eBay, but the copy was stolen and is now being tracked down via Jimmy Linguiniii, Canadian authorities, Facebook citizens, and God knows who else.

The guy who bought the book says he'll return it if we send him the money he paid. So we'll see how helpful paypal and the canadian authorities are about the entire thing.

:tonofbricks::blush::tonofbricks:

Sorry about that, Captain. I corrected it in my original post. :foryou:

Additionally, for what it's worth, I don't think you paid a crazy price. Couple of years from now, it could be 5-6 K. :shrug:

The guy who bought the book says he'll return it if we send him the money he paid. So we'll see how helpful paypal and the canadian authorities are about the entire thing.

:thumbsup: That's good to hear. Best wishes. :wishluck:

:tonofbricks::blush::tonofbricks:

Sorry about that, Captain. I corrected it in my original post. :foryou:

No worries!

Me too. but in terms of price jumps, doesnt BB28 have a greater return at this point since AF15 will see marginal price increases?

Currently, the large gains on BB28 has already been materialized. Gains are much more limited now.. BB28 was stagnant in 2009-2011.

Let's be fair.

Before the Spider-man movies AF15 was not the most expensive Silver age book. Now it is. BB28 has not had the help from movies that AF15 has. I know a lot of people have a lot (really a lot) of money invested in AF15 and really need the demand to stay high. Therefore any talk of any book out-pacing it will be seen as blasphemy.

But in 2013 BB28 has gained significantly more in value than AF15, and the trailer hasn't even been shown yet.

I own both books, and love both, but I think some of you guys are being a little unfair to the BB28. But on the other hand - what do you expect in a "Amazing Fantasy #15 Club" thread :foryou:

When you claim "Before the Spider-man movies, AF 15 was not the most expensive Silver age book", I wonder what source(s) you have in mind?...

For what it's worth, AF #15 became the #1 Silver Age book in Overstreet by 1994 (OPG #24). That was 8 years BEFORE the first Spider-Man movie.

There's no doubt the movies haven't hurt the value of AF #15s--and HAVE helped--but I think you're wildly exaggerating their importance. When that first Spider-Man movie came out in 2002, it was the 40th anniversary of the character. Sure, Hollywood influences the pop culture psyche--and nosebleed hammer prices to a degree--but, c'mon, this character had been a popular Halloween costume, a doll, a figurine, on wristwatches; this character's likeness was plastered on flashlights, lunchboxes, cups, keychains, pajamas, underwear, and toilet paper--for many moons before the run of Spider-Man movies of the last decade.

Seems like there was a substantial sale or two via Sotheby's in the early 1990s; then the advent of the Internet by the mid-1990s; then the 3 movies; and then that million dollar sale in 2011. Even if the movies didn't exist, I'm still convinced AF #15 would've overtaken Showcase #4 and FF #1. And it did overtake the others, in a way, by the mid-1990s when Overstreet began reflecting AF #15 as the #1 Silver Age book. :sumo:

As you say the movies have helped the value of AF15. There is no need to debate this - nor the magnitude (because no one will ever know the exact magnitude). And of course AF15 would still be a huge key without any movie. I own the book and love it.

We could also look at first appearance of Iron-man and Antman. They were considered third-tier characters before the movies. Antman probably still is because the movie has still to happen, but even the plans have had a very significant influence on 27 and 35. Not to talk about Iron-man's first appearance.

My point was that BB28 has not had this help yet. And while Wolverine has become a historically important character (perhaps Marvel's 2nd most popular) the first appearance of the team he is part of (X-men) need not imo. be more valuable than first appearance of JLA (rather the opposite imo.). Same could be said about Avengers.

The second point is that BB28 has increased more in value in 2013 than AF15. This is not opinion just fact.

Your reminding me that BB #28 has increased more in value in 2013 than AF #15, i.e., "not opinion, just fact" is something I never disputed in the first place. Also, I never commented on BB #28 not yet having the aid of a Hollywood film. It makes sense what you said.

I simply was saying your initial comment asserted AF #15 had only become the #1 Silver Age book after the movies--and this was not the case. AF #15's lift-off began by the mid-1990s and was further helped along by Hollywood in the 2000s.

I'm dubious as to whether BB 28 will be able to sustain that growth. I'm confident AF 15 will

Roger that.

A lot of books that quickly run up get the flat line then drift down treatment. Could easily happen with AF 15 (but not with BB28).

This is not a rare book and folks hoarding are doing so with the runup in prices. If we see some lengthy softness or downward drift, I imagine those 4.0 to 8.0's will come out of the woodwork.

Ed

A lot of books that quickly run up get the flat line then drift down treatment. Could easily happen with AF 15 (but not with BB28).

This is not a rare book and folks hoarding are doing so with the runup in prices. If we see some lengthy softness or downward drift, I imagine those 4.0 to 8.0's will come out of the woodwork.

Ed

Ed, AF 15 has beeen "running up" for 20 years. I think it would have flat lined by now if it was going to.

BB 28 was deader than a doornail until this movie tripe (hype) started

Ed

supply and demand at its finest. I don't see supply ever catching up.

Ed

Please define "rare" book.

Arbitrary definition or not, "rareness" can be a contributor to value; but value is not dependent on rarity.

Not sure what the point is here.

Ed

Please define "rare" book.

Arbitrary definition or not, "rareness" can be a contributor to value; but value is not dependent on rarity.

Not sure what the point is here.

Touche. Tons of old books that you probably couldn't find more than a hundred of if you tried and yet are totally worthless. Meanwhile there's a beater to beat all beaters 0.5 AF 15 on ebay right now that will probably go for around 3500 or more. You just gotta love this book.

-J.

I have bought and sold over 50 copies the last couple of years, and everyone I have paid or sold has been at or even well over gpa "average" for all the reasons I have mentioned in the past (thumbs u

Gator you've outbought me 25-1 (16.7-1 if you count a coverless copy) but my experience was that I managed to snag all copies below GPA. Both slabbed copies were via eBay where prices back in 2011 were all over the shop as compared with Heritage/CLink etc.

My own experience? It took a fair bit of patience and I passed over several beaters here on the boards at or above GPA.

What I did do was to set a three-month period to snag my copies and my parameters (minimum OW pages, good eye appeal, blue label etc) and of course, below GPA. I then focused on searching all the usual suspects for copies.

eBay can be good depending on the usual factors: time the auction ends, the photography (one of the ones I won was photographed terribly: it was a risk because the picture was taken at an angle with a flash so I couldn't see the cover properly). Still that one was quite a ways below GPA so even if I resold it later at GPA I'd be break even or possibly ahead.

I recently came back with the idea of perhaps finding a 5.0 or 6.0 but the way the market has gone, I'll just be happy sitting on what I own. :)

Great thread as always. Love the discussions.

Ed

What are some of these books you mentioned that have gotten a quick run up and subsequently flat lined ('90s Valiant boom and those of its ilk aside)?

AF15 has been on the up and up since the '90s and survived recession, a Global Financial Crisis etc.

The only way I can see AF15 flat lining is if some cosmic event somehow wipes out Spider-man from our collective consciousness.

I recently put my .5 up for sale here on the Boards...for 3,900. I was coming off being pretty sick and was semi-delirious--and in financial need--but I still knew it was a pretty aggressive price. Not entirely laughable, though. (70% laughable? :shrug:) I came to my senses and have kept my 2nd true love, comic book-wise, in my collection. (ASM #1 was my first love. :sorry:)

I was testing the waters with 3,900, but looking back on it, really not wanting to sell it. I included words in the terms of the sales thread like "U.S. only"; "PayPal only"; "price firm"; and "no time payments". If it was priced at 3K, there might have been some inquiries and quite possibly a buy.

Like Jaydogrules, I also noticed that .5 on eBay now. It was at 2,500 with 5 days left; now, it's at 3,250 with about a day left. (:gossip: No, I have not bid on it.) For those not in the know, the seller, sparklecitycomics out of New Jersey, has enjoyed some SERIOUS success on eBay. This sale--even if it stays at 3,250--is another indication of the insanity of the book. Amazing Fantasy #15 is now being called the #3 comic in an 80-year-old medium, so maybe the insanity is justified...

A link to that .5 on eBay via Sparkle City Comics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-5-1st-app-Spider-man-Aunt-May-Marvel-Silver-Age-Comic-/200995167655?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ecc3edda7

Like Jaydogrules, I also noticed that .5 on eBay now. It was at 2,500 with 5 days left; now, it's at 3,250 with about a day left. (:gossip: No, I have not bid on it.) For those not in the know, the seller, sparklecitycomics out of New Jersey, has enjoyed some SERIOUS success on eBay. This sale--even if it stays at 3,250--is another indication of the insanity of this book. Amazing Fantasy #15 is now being called the #3 comic in a nearly 80-year-old medium, so maybe the insanity is justified...

Makes the 3.5 I tried to flog here on the boards AT COST (and below GPA) two years ago seem like an absolute bargain.

But guess what? No one wanted to buy it. Had all sorts of PMs along the lines of, 'I'm keen but....', 'Can you do part trade/part sale?' 'Can you wait for me to sell my XYZ book first?' etc etc.

I ended up keeping the book. And I'm glad I did.

The sale thread and pics are still on the boards!

Like Jaydogrules, I also noticed that .5 on eBay now. It was at 2,500 with 5 days left; now, it's at 3,250 with about a day left. (:gossip: No, I have not bid on it.) For those not in the know, the seller, sparklecitycomics out of New Jersey, has enjoyed some SERIOUS success on eBay. This sale--even if it stays at 3,250--is another indication of the insanity of this book. Amazing Fantasy #15 is now being called the #3 comic in a nearly 80-year-old medium, so maybe the insanity is justified...

Makes the 3.5 I tried to flog here on the boards AT COST (and below GPA) two years ago seem like an absolute bargain.

But guess what? No one wanted to buy it. Had all sorts of PMs along the lines of, 'I'm keen but....', 'Can you do part trade/part sale?' 'Can you wait for me to sell my XYZ book first?' etc etc.

I ended up keeping the book. And I'm glad I did.

The sale thread and pics are still on the boards!

Indeed.

And you're right, a recession and global financial crisis didn't seem to affect it too much.

I liked your comment about AF #15 only flatlining if somehow a cosmic event wiped Spidey from our collective consciousness. :lol:

I have bought and sold over 50 copies the last couple of years, and everyone I have paid or sold has been at or even well over gpa "average" for all the reasons I have mentioned in the past (thumbs u

Gator you've outbought me 25-1 (16.7-1 if you count a coverless copy) but my experience was that I managed to snag all copies below GPA. Both slabbed copies were via eBay where prices back in 2011 were all over the shop as compared with Heritage/CLink etc.

My own experience? It took a fair bit of patience and I passed over several beaters here on the boards at or above GPA.

What I did do was to set a three-month period to snag my copies and my parameters (minimum OW pages, good eye appeal, blue label etc) and of course, below GPA. I then focused on searching all the usual suspects for copies.

eBay can be good depending on the usual factors: time the auction ends, the photography (one of the ones I won was photographed terribly: it was a risk because the picture was taken at an angle with a flash so I couldn't see the cover properly). Still that one was quite a ways below GPA so even if I resold it later at GPA I'd be break even or possibly ahead.

I recently came back with the idea of perhaps finding a 5.0 or 6.0 but the way the market has gone, I'll just be happy sitting on what I own. :)

Great thread as always. Love the discussions.

I remember that copy. Had a good bit of marvel chipping if memory serves me correctly. For me, mc copies should sell below gpa because (IMO) they are generally inferior (eye appeal wise) to non marvel chipped copies in same assigned grade. That's why my copies generally cost more and sell for more... My minimum standards (always an exception of course) are:

Ow or better pq

NO marvel chipping

Good to great eye appeal for assigned grade.

Gpa combines the white paged/non mc past sales with the cr/ow chipped sales. Hence it is many times "easier" to find copies under gpa, which is why I don't rely on gpa when making a purchase (or sales) decision (thumbs u

Gator: As with the discussion about PQ in the Clink auction thread in the GA section, wouldn't it make sense that GPA does not separate sales based on PQ (anything above slightly brittle at least) and marvel chipping (as it is viewed as a printing defect) since CGC does not detract grade points for these things? Whether or not certain buyers do on the open market is another story of course.

-J.

Gator: As with the discussion about PQ in the Clink auction thread in the GA section, wouldn't it make sense that GPA does not separate sales based on PQ (anything above slightly brittle at least) and marvel chipping (as it is viewed as a printing defect) since CGC does not detract grade points for these things? Whether or not certain buyers do on the open market is another story of course.

-J.

you are correct....that is my point...they are all lumped into one gpa avg...but, the astute collector/seller does differentiate, and thus, the reason for some selling above gpa (superior copies ) and the ones selling below gpa (inferior, generally, copies)

that is why I put no credence in "gpa" when it comes to books...to establish an "avg" some have to be above and some below...rarely (if ever) do all books sell for the "avg"