• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw the new Batman movie

214 posts in this topic

Just saw DK at a press screening. What struck me most about the film was that it had something that virtually no other super-hero flick has had previously - ambition.

If there were any flaws, it would be that certain plot points had to be shorthanded as the film makers were trying to cram too much into the movie. The performances, set pieces, the look of the film and the -script were way better than expected and were a quantum leap from Batman Begins.

The film certainly owed at least some of its story to The Long Halloween (one of my favorite Batman stories) but nevertheless managed to combine the spirit of comics and film noir whilst transcending the genre.

Very little pointless attempts at humor, clever plot-twists, no soft-rock soundtrack, believable character development and action sequences...not the best film ever, but IMO the best super-hero film so far. And Ledger deserves the hype.

Very much my thinking as well. What it lacked in some elements of the story, it more than made up in ambition. I thought the first film (Batman Begins) was a total bore, but this one was a tour de force. I was not sold on Bale after the first film, but I am now. Ledger was incredible, probably the single best acting job in a superhero film to date.

The film had its flaws; it wasn't the tightest -script, some elements were predictable and I wasn't convinced by some of the set-ups or the ending, but, overall, I have to applaud the vision, ambition and star power - I'll give it a 4.5 out of 5. I'm not sure if it was the best super-hero movie yet, but it'd give any of the top 5 a good run for their money.

Did everyone catch the little in-joke? When the Joker is fighting Batman, he says "you complete me." About half of the people in the audience last night chuckled.

Also, good to know that Wayne Manor is in Illinois - all of the cars had Illinois tags on them. I know they shot it in Chicago, but whoops.

A lot of people say heath was a better joker than jack was. no way. ive seen the new one 2x already and i watched the first batman the same day i watched it the first time. two movies with two totally different tones. Two actors two jokers two roles played to perfection.imo. (also mmm please)

A lot of people say heath was a better joker than jack was. no way. ive seen the new one 2x already and i watched the first batman the same day i watched it the first time. two movies with two totally different tones. Two actors two jokers two roles played to perfection.imo. (also mmm please)

Does that post come in English? :eek:

I thought it was a good movie, but I dunno how much I liked it as a BATMAN movie. I mean, how often did we even SEE Batman. It never really gave me that "in awe" feeling I think is very important in comic book movies. I just felt it was a little too much like your standard action movie, not so much a Batman movie. It was also quite a bit longer than necessary. People harp a bit on the 1989 Batman nowadays, calling it campy, etc. That movie was about Batman vs. The Joker, that's IT, and it didn't complicate itself with so many in-betweens and contemporary issues. I mean for me, these films should be an escape from the problems of the world and not take themselves too seriously, which I think this new Nolan take is beginning to do. I just didn't feel very much of that superhero "magic". In a sense, for me, this Batman is becoming almost TOO believable. I felt like a little bit like I was watching the Bourne, er... Batman Supremacy. What do ya'll say?

The 1989 film broke new ground, and Jack's Joker stands on its own merits, I agree. You have to say though that the latest efforts break grounds in new ways, in ways using some of the dark elements that Burton made popular for this character for movie goers.

The 1989 film broke new ground, and Jack's Joker stands on its own merits, I agree. You have to say though that the latest efforts break grounds in new ways, in ways using some of the dark elements that Burton made popular for this character for movie goers.

I also agree with that. Completely different films, Jack Nicholson played his role perfectly for what was right for that film. Same with Ledger. Neither would have worked in the other film/vice versa, but they were both great.

What do ya'll say?

I agree. They should have done the movie in a less realistic tone. More like the Batman TV series. Cesar Romero will always be the definitive Joker. What are all these people thinking?

What do ya'll say?

I agree. They should have done the movie in a less realistic tone. More like the Batman TV series. Cesar Romero will always be the definitive Joker. What are all these people thinking?

Why so serious ?

What do ya'll say?

If you're being sarcastic, thanks for the intelligent reply. I think I make valid points, which are my opinion. I liked it as a movie, but as a Batman movie it was just good, not great. Again, my opinion.

I thought it was a good movie, but I dunno how much I liked it as a BATMAN movie. I mean, how often did we even SEE Batman. It never really gave me that "in awe" feeling I think is very important in comic book movies. I just felt it was a little too much like your standard action movie, not so much a Batman movie. It was also quite a bit longer than necessary. People harp a bit on the 1989 Batman nowadays, calling it campy, etc. That movie was about Batman vs. The Joker, that's IT, and it didn't complicate itself with so many in-betweens and contemporary issues. I mean for me, these films should be an escape from the problems of the world and not take themselves too seriously, which I think this new Nolan take is beginning to do. I just didn't feel very much of that superhero "magic". In a sense, for me, this Batman is becoming almost TOO believable. I felt like a little bit like I was watching the Bourne, er... Batman Supremacy. What do ya'll say?

Actually I've said the same thing about Batman Begins. It's a very good movie, but not a great Batman movie.

Haven't seen the new one yet but I'm getting the same feeling. And it will take a miracle to get me change my mind about C. Bale being the most boring Batman ever.

Just watched the movie this afternoon with my wife and I was absolutely awestruck with this one. I'm waiting til the "fan boy awe" wears off a bit more before making sweeping statements and comparisons. However, I will say that this book struck me in the same way Killing Joke broke the previous understanding of the Joker. I still really like Jack's Joker--it works well for me. But Joker is not the same character in Moore's & Boland's hands as he was in previous creative teams'. In the same fashion, Ledger takes the Joker into this dark and psychotic area (much like Moore & Boland did) creating a very different portrayal from his predecessor. Does the later performance invalidate the former? Not at all. I think you can fully appreciate each as two individual interpretations.

Just my 2c

My comic book movie buddy is out of town with his wife. Once he gets back, we are going to see it. I get drug to all the movies that he wants to see that she has no desire to see.

Is that the way you guys from the hills swing?

My comic book movie buddy is out of town with his wife. Once he gets back, we are going to see it. I get drug to all the movies that he wants to see that she has no desire to see.

Is that the way you guys from the hills swing?

Apparently, you bubba's from Missouri outclass us by miles. Dagnabit, where did I put that corncob pipe? meh