• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Wanna get Married!
19 19

1,091 posts in this topic

In terms of lanes I’d rather have a married Green than a Purple. I like the idea of an all original book. Even if married there’s no attempt to improve it. 

plus the big GA keys have so many restored that a blue is special and a green somewhere in the middle. Plus save $2000 on resto. 

On 6/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, ender said:

I just checked the OP for this thread and it was including conversations about married books not just folks looking for parts.  Because of that I hope it is ok to post a question for this group.  I really like this thread.  It is one of the very few I follow.  It also makes up a group of collectors who are not totally turned off by books that are assembled from other books.  Because of that I wanted you folks opinion.  If you have a high dollar book that you have found all the pieces for and get it graded, as a buyer would you be willing to pay more if it qualified? qualified and conserved? qualified and restored?

To be totally transparent I have assembled a More Fun Comics 53.  I bought the comic missing two CF on HA quite some time back. I will include a photo of that cover.  I think found a coverless that was missing 3 outer wraps and 1 CF.  I bought it.  I then found just a CF on ebay and bought that.  So the finished comic has parts from 3 different donor comics.  I say donor, I don't know if they were willing or not, but I took the parts I needed. (:

The two CF are loose.  I could pay to have them reattached with the staples (I don't trust myself to do it) and the book would be qualified.

The cover does have about a three inch tear at the bottom which is not missing any paper.  I could have that tear sealed and it would make the book more sound but then it is qualified and conserved.

I could just go for total resto and probably with moderate professional restoration come out at about a 7.  But then it is qualified and reserved and I would have spent quite a bit of cash for the restoration.

While comic collecting for me in not only about money, I am also not the type to spend it foolishly where there is no chance of getting it back eventually.  I also had the opportunity to buy another MF 53 that is in a bit better shape (Blue Label 2.5) so I am perhaps looking to move the married copy to raise funds for other purchases.  Any opinions or expertise from the group would really be appreciated as I know quite a few of you are collector/dealers so you may have a much better idea as to what the general population of comic buyers would value.

Thanks again.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #53 (DC, 1940) Condition: PR....

Sweet rewards for a lot of time and effort Ender, really, really good work.

I'm not a one of the big dogs, in comics, on this board, or even in my own house lol so take this with a grain of salt.

I've done a full resto, a conservation, and indeed a number of marriages.  IMO, while temptation may be large, I'd leave it untouched, exactly as is, and if you do ever sell it, simply note what you noted here.

Again, very well done.

On 6/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, ender said:

I just checked the OP for this thread and it was including conversations about married books not just folks looking for parts.  Because of that I hope it is ok to post a question for this group.  I really like this thread.  It is one of the very few I follow.  It also makes up a group of collectors who are not totally turned off by books that are assembled from other books.  Because of that I wanted you folks opinion.  If you have a high dollar book that you have found all the pieces for and get it graded, as a buyer would you be willing to pay more if it qualified? qualified and conserved? qualified and restored?

To be totally transparent I have assembled a More Fun Comics 53.  I bought the comic missing two CF on HA quite some time back. I will include a photo of that cover.  I think found a coverless that was missing 3 outer wraps and 1 CF.  I bought it.  I then found just a CF on ebay and bought that.  So the finished comic has parts from 3 different donor comics.  I say donor, I don't know if they were willing or not, but I took the parts I needed. (:

The two CF are loose.  I could pay to have them reattached with the staples (I don't trust myself to do it) and the book would be qualified.

The cover does have about a three inch tear at the bottom which is not missing any paper.  I could have that tear sealed and it would make the book more sound but then it is qualified and conserved.

I could just go for total resto and probably with moderate professional restoration come out at about a 7.  But then it is qualified and reserved and I would have spent quite a bit of cash for the restoration.

While comic collecting for me in not only about money, I am also not the type to spend it foolishly where there is no chance of getting it back eventually.  I also had the opportunity to buy another MF 53 that is in a bit better shape (Blue Label 2.5) so I am perhaps looking to move the married copy to raise funds for other purchases.  Any opinions or expertise from the group would really be appreciated as I know quite a few of you are collector/dealers so you may have a much better idea as to what the general population of comic buyers would value.

Thanks again.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #53 (DC, 1940) Condition: PR....

I agree with the others. 

The first comic I married, I paid to have leaf cast and have married together professionally. I don't regret doing that because it came out beautiful and got a conserved label. 

But I think other buyers are more interested in green label books that have no other work done.  I don't think you'll get an ROI by spending hundreds or thousands on resto. 

Since then, I've married two other books successfully and I've just placed the parts together.  I may get them graded some day, but have no immediate plans.  

20201208_104524.jpg

20220218_134104.jpg

20201208_104841.jpg

20200725_182703.jpg

20200612_163708.jpg

Awesome thread was looking for something like this a while ago but must have missed it. 

I recently came across a bunch of front covers for some interesting books and posted it in the "have a cigar" thread a few months ago. 

Anyway iv'e been serching for interiors for any of these with a few results. The first i found an interior for was "Fighting Indians of the Wild West" one of the cheaper books but the match turned out great. Just need to find a back cover now

The second one Strange Worlds 9 was a bit more tricky as the cover i had wasn't cut as clean as the Fighting Indians cover. For this i opted to go with a copy that was complete and had a back cover. The front cover was missing large chunks so was hoping to lay my cover on top and make it look much better. Unfortunatly the alignment of the covers was less than perfect so id say the result was mixed. 

I have a few more to post later when i have time but must say these new adventures in marrage have been a quite fun way to collect golden agae on the cheap. 

PS anyone got a Reform School Girl interior. :bigsmile:

20230304_140808.thumb.jpg.b925010ef5ac710869e87f32238edfe7.jpg

20230430_163029.jpg

20230430_162800.jpg

20230505_120554.jpg

20230505_120319.jpg

20230505_120711.jpg

20230505_121049.jpg

Couple longshots here…. Anyone have the first two wraps for Kid Komics #2?

Aaaand…. The middle six pages of Terrific Comics #1? (“Backwash” story, L.B. Cole art)

Open to any appropriate donor copies/parts books :wishluck:

And my perpetual needs remain:

CF’s to Cap #’s 17 and 38

CF to USA #13

Middle three wraps to Planet #10

A parts want list where Timely Caps are the most common books….sheesh! doh!

I have partial interiors for Superman #14 if that can help anyone.