• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Price Variants

414 posts in this topic

I realize that sellers are trying over-hype these books and falsely use the "price variant" term to lure in the weak-minded, but they are and will forever be:

Canadian Editions

Just like UK editions, or any other country's specific run with a specific dollar amount and/or currency on the cover.

And just to prove this, neither OS nor CGC use the term "variant" to describe these comics, so we have two of the main deities in the biz agreeing with this.

I realize that sellers are trying over-hype these books and falsely use the "price variant" term to lure in the weak-minded, but they are and will forever be:

Canadian Editions

Just like UK editions, or any other country's specific run with a specific dollar amount and/or currency on the cover.

And just to prove this, neither OS nor CGC use the term "variant" to describe these comics, so we have two of the main deities in the biz agreeing with this.

It's actually Canadian Price Variants...

And looks like it's been made official (Type 1a Variant) in the latest OS, in Jon McClure's article "A History of Publisher Experimentation and Variant Comic Books." With regard to CGC, McClure writes:

"CGC has improved its Type 1a variant description in recent years; variants once referred to as "U.K. Editions" are now referred to as "Country/Variant" books, but terms such as "Pence Price Variant" or "Canada Price Variant" would be better still."

Spectacular Spider-Man #1 40¢ Canadian Price Variant

Spectacular_Spider-Man_1_CPV.jpg

Canadian Editions

They were made for distribution in Canada and the price tag is different or a "variant" so to speak from the US version, get over it. The amount of energy you spend on splitting hairs is remarkable.

Canadian Editions

And looks like it's been made official (Type 1a Variant) in the latest OS, in Jon McClure's article "A History of Publisher Experimentation and Variant Comic Books." With regard to CGC, McClure writes:

"CGC has improved its Type 1a variant description in recent years; variants once referred to as "U.K. Editions" are now referred to as "Country/Variant" books, but terms such as "Pence Price Variant" or "Canada Price Variant" would be better still."

Is that for sale? :shy:

Canadian Editions

Is that for sale? :shy:

Sorry Peter, but it's NFS. I picked this copy along with a SSPM #2 from a local comic shop some ten years ago (maybe more) - got the #2 graded near around the same time and it came back a 9.6. I'm holding off on submitting this until CGC gets their act together with notation, and if they don't, I'm just as glad to keep it raw. This is not as easy a book as some may think to find.

Canadian or not, that is a real Price Variant based upon the cover price vs the indicia.

I have two of them. They are tough to find, and neither of mine are as nice as yours. That is a beautiful copy. (thumbs u

Canadian or not, that is a real Price Variant based upon the cover price vs the indicia.

I have two of them. They are tough to find, and neither of mine are as nice as yours. That is a beautiful copy. (thumbs u

Wow! Nice. Harry I don't think I've ever seen more than one other copy than mine. To have two is an amazing feat on its own :o

Also glad you brought up the price variant fact, as I went to check the CGC census and it shows a separate category - Country/Variant - 40 Cent Price Variant (I'm assuming that's the notation they use on the label, but can't say for sure as I've never seen one in the wild).

And talk about tough - compared to the 137 of the regular edition, there's only 1 copy on the census and its a 5.5 :o :o

I got my first copy from Dan (flyingdonut). It is a raw VG.

My second copy is a CGC 8.0 or 8.5 (do not remember), but it does not have the notation on the slab.

Yours would completely blow that out of the water.

My second copy is a CGC 8.0 or 8.5 (do not remember), but it does not have the notation on the slab.

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to see that CGC copy. (thumbs u

Wonder why it isn't on the census - maybe it wasn't submitted with any info on the paperwork? I find that on stuff like this, unless it's noted upon submission, it rarely gets mentioned on the label.

IMO they, like UK editions, are not variants. They were NEVER distributed in all market areas. If Canadian editions had been distributed in the US and UK they could be considered variants they weren't so they are not. If you are going to call them variants then EVERYTHING in that time period and with any cover variation at all should be considered variants. I doubt that Americans consider their newsstand copies to be variants even though many to all of them had different markings than the direct versions.

What I would market would be the theoretical scarcity of such editions because they were a very small portion of the print run. Even given that I would not pay more for them. I could dig up plenty of Canadian newsstand copies in one day and I guarantee you I would not pay any more or less than a direct or American newsstand copy.

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to see that CGC copy. (thumbs u

Wonder why it isn't on the census - maybe it wasn't submitted with any info on the paperwork? I find that on stuff like this, unless it's noted upon submission, it rarely gets mentioned on the label.

I doubt the submitter noted it on the submission form.

I will post some pics of both copies. (thumbs u

Those are both really nice copies. It might be the overflash, but the CGC'd copy looks brighter (reds on the title, Spidey's costume, and the red aircraft warning lights (bulbs) on the rooftop). After I found my copy, I haven't really seen any - that is until seeing yours. Thanks for sharing Harry! (thumbs u