• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Price Variants

414 posts in this topic

Disagree on it being a cpv, just a pv. Why would they be the only company doing it during that period? Plus the exchange rate at the time was only a couple of cents.

Just found this nice chart looking at these types of variants. http://dellcomicfan.blogspot.ca/2012/02/how-many-20-cent-gold-key-variants.html?m=1

Thanks for the link,and all the feedback from everybody!

Jimmers

That's a great collection of Canadian Price variants, Kimik. Congratulations on the collection. The Batman #400 is ultra-tough in high grade and such an obscure pricing scheme.

Thanks. Another cool one is the $3.50 Action #600 Canadian Newstand variant. There were two in HG in this collection as well. I can post scans later when I dig them out again.

This is an area that I'm quite interested in - especially around two different publishers:

Archie and Gladstone.

I'm putting together articles on both companies and their Canadian prices and have found it pretty fun.

Here's the ARCHIE article Archie Canadian Price Variants

Here's the Uncle Scrooge article Uncle Scrooge Variants

Some interesting information I have found:

1) There are Dual-Price books. That have both US/Can pricing

2) There are Dual-Price books - with Can/UK pricing

3) There are single price books with notation (CAN)

4) There are single price books with no notation

us20775-001.jpg

This book (same issue) with a very interesting difference.

us219canus-001.jpg

us219canus-001_2.jpg

us217can-001_2.jpg

us217can-001.jpg

Here's an interesting Archie - is "sort of" has a Canadian price... but not really.

archie_400.jpg

archie_400_2.jpg

Here's a CAN/UK Archie

betty-and-veronica-4-cdn.jpg

betty-and-veronica-4-cdn_2.jpg

Betty and Veronica #320

archies-girls-betty-and-veronica-320_2.jpg

archies-girls-betty-and-veronica-320-cdn_2-2.jpg

IMO they, like UK editions, are not variants. They were NEVER distributed in all market areas. If Canadian editions had been distributed in the US and UK they could be considered variants they weren't so they are not. If you are going to call them variants then EVERYTHING in that time period and with any cover variation at all should be considered variants. I doubt that Americans consider their newsstand copies to be variants even though many to all of them had different markings than the direct versions.

What I would market would be the theoretical scarcity of such editions because they were a very small portion of the print run. Even given that I would not pay more for them. I could dig up plenty of Canadian newsstand copies in one day and I guarantee you I would not pay any more or less than a direct or American newsstand copy.

I do. thumbsup.gif

Variant is defined in the dictionary as "manifesting variety" or "varying usually slightly from the standard form". For me, the domestic (US) form is the standard form. A Turkish comic would not vary slightly. It would vary drastically.

Of course I realize that comic book collectors ignore the dictionary. A comic in lousy condition is called "good".

DG

I do as well. I consider newsstand books and direct market books to be different books because they are not identical. That makes them "variants" in my mind (as opposed to manufactured variants with 5 different covers - which I refer to as "gimmicks" :grin: )

It's funny. In stamp collecting, a perforation change can be the difference between a stamp being worth $2 or $1000.

Stamp collectors are strange folks though (haha... you can probably guess my other hobby now)

Look how detailed STAMP people get when it comes to variants.

rather than replying to my own post again.

One thing that legitimizes any price or UPC alterations as 'true' variants to my mind is that they were produced for actual reasons of economy, distribution, and reflect an artifact of commercial production. As opposed to a "manufactured" or gimmicky type of scarcity.

They have much more of a story to them than the so-called 1:100 variants we see today. the newsstand is simply not the same as Direct Market, and Canada is not the same as the US. These books intended for a different set of markets would have different survival rates, condition profiles, and ... add a dimension of fun to any collection.

As for prices - that is a market-driven issue. There are people that will simply pay more for these books. How much more? That's hard to say, but as more people want these varieties, then the price would naturally go up. Has it created distinction between the two different versions of Batman #1? Not yet - that book is scarce enough that people don't even notice there are two versions - one likely an add-on print-run.

We do have to be careful they don't get over-inflated though. They are fun, but not something I would like to see going to 10X guide. In philately, there are several examples of variants that sell at about half their "guide" value. Of course, their guide value is 100X the regular one.

This really is a fascinating sub-culture to our hobby. One I am a bit over-zealous about myself :)

Read your article on the White Whitman Box Variants. Apparently the white box versions were newsstand/returnable versions while the yellow logo was only in three packs. Here's an article on the different logos as well as scans.

http://forum.stlcomics.com/viewtopic.php?t=4720&sid=010aa3e6abd60749125a890961c86fc8

And here's a scan of the Scrooge 195 you referenced; still sealed in a bag; to back up what it says on STL

141348.jpg.0150b5a0e0725911217350205ea8ee5c.jpg