• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We Know That Slabs Aren't Waterproof...

86 posts in this topic

How ironic, everything is off the floor high and dry, but one 4-foot section of shelving was directly below the window well and took the gusher straight on.

Ouch. :(

Note to self, move books out from under window well in basement. :eek:

I have actually tried{with excellent success} to seal the slab with a professional grade clear epoxy. Sort of like window sealer. I cleaned the slabs off and then used this sealant. I just ran a thin bead of it all the way around the book. Then I used my finger to smoothen it out as best I could. This clear epoxy is used in making custom made aquariums. I did it because my wife asked me if they slabs were waterproof. I knew they were not. But I pulled out two books. Both slabbed and worth around $20 each... After the epoxy was applied. I let it dry for 4 hours. Then the test. I put them in the kitchen sink. They floated in the water{sort of}.. This was a good sign. My wife said to put them under the water and really test this epoxy. I wasn't impressed by this idea BTW. But sure enough after holding them under the water for about 15 seconds each. Both books were dry as a bone. A quick drying with a towel and they were as good as new. We did this experiment because when we first bought our house. We had a huge storm and the basement took in around 1 inch of water. The garage, the hall way, and the finished room. All around the edge of the room the carpet was very wet. We had a insurance claim. So we got the basement re done with a new type of "Bone Dry" warranty product. Plus we paid out of pocket to have proper drainage spouts put up outside. Along with re grading the property{front mostly}. Plus adding a drain to the front of the garage. We have not had one drop of water in the basement through a few very good down pours.. Sorry about the loss of your books. But no one was hurt. That is what counts in the end. Most of my books with a value of over $200 are now treated to

the epoxy treatment. If there slabbed...They are all kept upstairs "Just In case".... I have read the thread about staples rusting in Fire Proof Safes{lack of air}. So I check them every now and again for any signs of rust. So far that isn't an issue...

I think this is a terrible idea, CGC didn't make the slabs water/air tight for a reason. The books need to off gas and over a long period of time I cannot imagine what it will do to your comics if left this way.

While you may have prevented water damage I fear you have created another problem by doing this to your slabs.

2c

I agree, I think the key is to make the storage area safe from all types of water infiltrarion. Above and below. My comic cabinets are elevated off the ground and covered with tarps. Eventually something is going to get them, but not if I can help it.

Hence my comment about the ORIGINAL artwork. That's the kind of stuff that should be in major libraries or museums, not the mass-produced funny books.

There is a need/demand/desire for the printed material itself, as well as the original art.

And before you start screaming that we should all mail them our comics for free :screwy: ,

This type of strawman argument isn't helpful. :(

1. I'm not screaming...

2. Suggested no such thing...

Then back to my original point: Why aren't museums, libraries and universities bidding for these much-wanted historical funny books? Hmmmm? hm

And before you start screaming that we should all mail them our comics for free :screwy: ,

This type of strawman argument isn't helpful. :(

1. I'm not screaming...

2. Suggested no such thing...

Then back to my original point: Why aren't museums, libraries and universities not bidding for these much-wanted historical funny books? Hmmmm? hm

that was a good point- I was just pointing out your chaff. :grin:

edited-

except to say that most major collections are donated, not bought.

The second I see or notice anything happening. I will address it... I guess I could put a hole on the top of the slab.. Though it wouldn't be water tight anymore. It would let the slab breath. That was my main concern when I did the epoxy experiment. Fear of the staples rusting and other possible damage. All the book's were originally downstairs. I had around $3,500 of damaged books that were beyond any type of help. If I put a hole on the top of the slabs. I could sit them as I normally do and still let the books breath a bit. The bottom of the slab would still be sealed with the epoxy. Thats probably the best way. The water would have to reach the height of the slab to cause damage.. If that did happen. The books would be one of my lesser concerns at that moment.. So I guess I will have to peel away around an inch or so off of the top of the slabs. That should be enough to let them still breath and give me peace of mind.... Seeing a book like the one in this thread is very depressing. I guess I have a little bit of work to do. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.. I don't plan on selling any of these books anytime soon. So selling a defective case doesn't worry me. The epoxy comes off fairly even and quickly. Probably take 3 - 5 minutes to get it all off of the slab. It feels like set rubber actually. I don't plan on taking any of them out of there slabs either... Thanks Again...

BangUp1FC.jpg

Bang-UpWaterFC.jpg

BangUp1BC.jpg

Bang-UpWaterBC.jpg

:cry: a HG trooper book gone!

Well not exactly gone, so cry not ye bumper of pressing threads!

Long story short Gary listed this book for sale recently and I bought it on sight. I wet washed the cover and interiors. Staples were totally rusted and will be replaced.

Thought it would be nice to show one of the many books Gary lost when his house was flooded returned to its former self. And also give a shout out to Matt Nelson who I owe everything, he taught me all I know about restoration and he taught me well.

This was one wrinkly book!

coverbefore.jpg

fccoverafter.jpg

interiorbefore-1.jpg

interiorcoverafter.jpg

backinoteriorbeforeopen.jpg

bcinterioraftr.jpg

interiorfcbeforeopen.jpg

openinteriorfcafter.jpg

bottomwrinkly.jpg

DSC06208.jpg

fcsidebeofre.jpg

fctopsidespine2.jpg

bcopenedgeafter.jpg

interioropenbefore.jpg

Staples obviously not replaced yet.

interioraftr.jpg

DSC06202.jpg

fcsideafter.jpg

I have actually tried{with excellent success} to seal the slab with a professional grade clear epoxy. Sort of like window sealer. I cleaned the slabs off and then used this sealant. I just ran a thin bead of it all the way around the book. Then I used my finger to smoothen it out as best I could. This clear epoxy is used in making custom made aquariums. I did it because my wife asked me if they slabs were waterproof. I knew they were not. But I pulled out two books. Both slabbed and worth around $20 each... After the epoxy was applied. I let it dry for 4 hours. Then the test. I put them in the kitchen sink. They floated in the water{sort of}.. This was a good sign. My wife said to put them under the water and really test this epoxy. I wasn't impressed by this idea BTW. But sure enough after holding them under the water for about 15 seconds each. Both books were dry as a bone. A quick drying with a towel and they were as good as new. We did this experiment because when we first bought our house. We had a huge storm and the basement took in around 1 inch of water. The garage, the hall way, and the finished room. All around the edge of the room the carpet was very wet. We had a insurance claim. So we got the basement re done with a new type of "Bone Dry" warranty product. Plus we paid out of pocket to have proper drainage spouts put up outside. Along with re grading the property{front mostly}. Plus adding a drain to the front of the garage. We have not had one drop of water in the basement through a few very good down pours.. Sorry about the loss of your books. But no one was hurt. That is what counts in the end. Most of my books with a value of over $200 are now treated to

the epoxy treatment. If there slabbed...They are all kept upstairs "Just In case".... I have read the thread about staples rusting in Fire Proof Safes{lack of air}. So I check them every now and again for any signs of rust. So far that isn't an issue...

A couple of questions, wouldn't the lack of air lead to all sorts of strange dealings over the long term, or do you (have you had them long enough, has anyone? ) send them to get taken out and reslabbed like they (used to?) recommend. And secondly..... Why would the lack of air cause rusting? Rust is iron oxide....lack of air should surely stop this, or maybe this is only true with some sort of vacuum...