• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We Know That Slabs Aren't Waterproof...

86 posts in this topic

OMG, this is terrible. this is the nightmare of every collector.

it reminds me of a water accident in my whole flat where i was lucky that no comics were damaged. 2 years ago there were reconstruction works in my whole building and until then, i was living on the top floor (not anymore, they built 1 top above later). they workers opened the roof and left it open for some weeks in october/november. they said it would be water proof because the floor was seald. yes it was, but it was poorly done. so when we had one big storm with very much rain one night, it all came down in my flat. it was pouring down like water in the shower. i had heavy water damage in 3 rooms. i got lucky that my room with all the comics got spared. i cannot imagine what i would have done if my comics had been destroyed because some incompetent construction workers didn't do their work right. i now have plastic sheets all over my boxes in case something happens again. you can never be careful enough.

Wow Gary.. I am at a loss of words.

:(

Terrible, just a terrible thing. I think you should crack all the books out of their slabs, I imagine there is still residual mositure in all the interiors and you need to get them air dried as soon as possible.

I feel sick to my stomach, let me know if I can do anything(wet wash the books) to help recover them in some fashion.

Kenny

I have actually tried{with excellent success} to seal the slab with a professional grade clear epoxy. Sort of like window sealer. I cleaned the slabs off and then used this sealant. I just ran a thin bead of it all the way around the book. Then I used my finger to smoothen it out as best I could. This clear epoxy is used in making custom made aquariums. I did it because my wife asked me if they slabs were waterproof. I knew they were not. But I pulled out two books. Both slabbed and worth around $20 each... After the epoxy was applied. I let it dry for 4 hours. Then the test. I put them in the kitchen sink. They floated in the water{sort of}.. This was a good sign. My wife said to put them under the water and really test this epoxy. I wasn't impressed by this idea BTW. But sure enough after holding them under the water for about 15 seconds each. Both books were dry as a bone. A quick drying with a towel and they were as good as new. We did this experiment because when we first bought our house. We had a huge storm and the basement took in around 1 inch of water. The garage, the hall way, and the finished room. All around the edge of the room the carpet was very wet. We had a insurance claim. So we got the basement re done with a new type of "Bone Dry" warranty product. Plus we paid out of pocket to have proper drainage spouts put up outside. Along with re grading the property{front mostly}. Plus adding a drain to the front of the garage. We have not had one drop of water in the basement through a few very good down pours.. Sorry about the loss of your books. But no one was hurt. That is what counts in the end. Most of my books with a value of over $200 are now treated to

the epoxy treatment. If there slabbed...They are all kept upstairs "Just In case".... I have read the thread about staples rusting in Fire Proof Safes{lack of air}. So I check them every now and again for any signs of rust. So far that isn't an issue...

I think this is a terrible idea, CGC didn't make the slabs water/air tight for a reason. The books need to off gas and over a long period of time I cannot imagine what it will do to your comics if left this way.

While you may have prevented water damage I fear you have created another problem by doing this to your slabs.

2c

First, I am sorry for your loss, Moondog. You seem like a fine fellow and an honorable collector.

It *was* a shame, Sharon. Taking care of all this stuff for future generations is our responsibility as collectors. Thankfully no ashcans were damaged.

Not to steal your thread or go far afield, but this sort of thing makes me wonder if it isn't time for older books to make their way into public hands. Museums, Libraries, Universities. At some point, collectors have to release their treasures for the greater good- I wonder when comic book collectors will begin to do this.

I have actually tried{with excellent success} to seal the slab with a professional grade clear epoxy. Sort of like window sealer. I cleaned the slabs off and then used this sealant. I just ran a thin bead of it all the way around the book. Then I used my finger to smoothen it out as best I could. This clear epoxy is used in making custom made aquariums. I did it because my wife asked me if they slabs were waterproof. I knew they were not. But I pulled out two books. Both slabbed and worth around $20 each... After the epoxy was applied. I let it dry for 4 hours. Then the test. I put them in the kitchen sink. They floated in the water{sort of}.. This was a good sign. My wife said to put them under the water and really test this epoxy. I wasn't impressed by this idea BTW. But sure enough after holding them under the water for about 15 seconds each. Both books were dry as a bone. A quick drying with a towel and they were as good as new. We did this experiment because when we first bought our house. We had a huge storm and the basement took in around 1 inch of water. The garage, the hall way, and the finished room. All around the edge of the room the carpet was very wet. We had a insurance claim. So we got the basement re done with a new type of "Bone Dry" warranty product. Plus we paid out of pocket to have proper drainage spouts put up outside. Along with re grading the property{front mostly}. Plus adding a drain to the front of the garage. We have not had one drop of water in the basement through a few very good down pours.. Sorry about the loss of your books. But no one was hurt. That is what counts in the end. Most of my books with a value of over $200 are now treated to

the epoxy treatment. If there slabbed...They are all kept upstairs "Just In case".... I have read the thread about staples rusting in Fire Proof Safes{lack of air}. So I check them every now and again for any signs of rust. So far that isn't an issue...

now you just have to worry about

1) offgassing

2) reselling a defective case

3) potential harm to the book trying to open it later

unfortunately your solution causes other problems. this isn't something you could avoid, it's just inherent in the case design. :(

wow man...not good news. Sorry for those nice books of yours :(

And to think I just had an online discussion with someone who was claiming the slabs are virtually bombproof doh!

Somebody needs to market resealable waterproof bags for the slabs

And to think I just had an online discussion with someone who was claiming the slabs are virtually bombproof

What about that thread I started with the guy selling CGC X-Men's with obvious water damage? The trolls were out in full-force there. :censored:

Not to steal your thread or go far afield, but this sort of thing makes me wonder if it isn't time for older books to make their way into public hands. Museums, Libraries, Universities. At some point, collectors have to release their treasures for the greater good.

Why? All these are available in reprint hardcopy or digital form, and I hardly see a library donation of some old funny books as a viable path to take.

The AF 15 original artwork that was recently donated, now that's a different story.

And to think I just had an online discussion with someone who was claiming the slabs are virtually bombproof

What about that thread I started with the guy selling CGC X-Men's with obvious water damage? The trolls were out in full-force there. :censored:

You now what, Vince? Some days it's just not all about you. :news:

Sorry for the damage, Gary. :foryou:

Somebody needs to market resealable waterproof bags for the slabs

I actually received a CGC graded book from an eBay seller that was in a bag like you describe. It's sized perfectly to hold a CGC graded comic and seals at the top like a zip-loc bag. I still have it and just checked, but there's no indication on it of who makes them.

As some have mentioned though...off-gassing might still be a concern with them, but it would certainly have helped in an instance like this. And I suppose you could unseal them every once in a while to let fresh air in. (shrug)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Moondog. :(

I HAVE to agree with Ze-man....not a good idea at all, technically (tsk)

As some have mentioned though...off-gassing might still be a concern with them, but it would certainly have helped in an instance like this. And I suppose you could unseal them every once in a while to let fresh air in. (shrug)

Yeah, that what was I thinking of... take your books out of the bag a few times a year, gives you a chance to fall in love again with them while off-gassing

Not to steal your thread or go far afield, but this sort of thing makes me wonder if it isn't time for older books to make their way into public hands. Museums, Libraries, Universities. At some point, collectors have to release their treasures for the greater good.

Why? All these are available in reprint hardcopy or digital form, and I hardly see a library donation of some old funny books as a viable path to take.

The AF 15 original artwork that was recently donated, now that's a different story.

Well, the information is available, yes. But the original documents have real, tangible, historic value to scholars and the general public.

And mind you, I'm not talking about your local library- I'm talking about major collections held in some of our most prestigious institutions.

Nicholas A. Basbanes, a highly respected historian on all things literary, among others, argue that it has been collectors, not institutions, that have kept much of posterity intact thru the centuries, thus protecting and safegurading it for future generations. And he and others argue that there comes a point where public institutions are better equipped to carry the torch.

Well, the information is available, yes. But the original documents have real, tangible, historic value to scholars and the general public.

Hence my comment about the ORIGINAL artwork. That's the kind of stuff that should be in major libraries or museums, not the mass-produced funny books.

And he and others argue that there comes a point where public institutions are better equipped to carry the torch.

I agree, but I don't see what's stopping them - there are key comics up for auction every day of the week. (shrug)

And before you start screaming that we should all mail them our comics for free :screwy: , these institutions seem to have ample money when a piece of artwork or historical document they *really* want comes to market. Several museums here have been the subject of many newspaper articles for their rampant spending.