• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We Know That Slabs Aren't Waterproof...

86 posts in this topic

Well not exactly gone, so cry not ye bumper of pressing threads!

Long story short Gary listed this book for sale recently and I bought it on sight. I wet washed the cover and interiors. Staples were totally rusted and will be replaced.

Thought it would be nice to show one of the many books Gary lost when his house was flooded returned to its former self. And also give a shout out to Matt Nelson who I owe everything, he taught me all I know about restoration and he taught me well.

This was one wrinkly book!

Beautiful job, Kenny! I don't think that there is anyone on the boards, pro/con anything, that would argue with what you did with that book. Amazing save!! :applause:

holy Kenny... (worship)

I was wondering if the result is this good because the water damage was done only recently. If the damage had been done, say 20 years ago, would the results have been the same ?

holy Kenny... (worship)

I was wondering if the result is this good because the water damage was done only recently. If the damage had been done, say 20 years ago, would the results have been the same ?

I was wondering the same thing...but meanwhile, WOW, Kenny! (worship) (worship) You SAVED it:) :acclaim:

I never cease to be amazed at Kenny's restoration work on comics O_O wow.

Fixed that for ya.

AWESOME job Kenny. I know from experience that you are an emerging master! :applause:

I still can't thank you enough (and I still haven't made those changes BTW).

Thanks guys(and gal!), I admit it was very satisfying to work on this book not because of helping the book out, but because of who it belonged to. When I heard of Gary's flood, and the damage to his collection it made me wince. So it was nice to be able to make his loss less severe. I will be working on the other two damaged books he had listed as a favor to Gary because has always been there for me as a collector, and friend.

And regarding Chroms question. Yes I think if the book sat for 20 years the stains would become more set, or the rust would possiblly become worse. I was surprised at how rusted the staples and paper were in such a short time.

Which brings up a question.

I can replace the original staples with a set of similar era vintage staples.

Or clean the ones that were in the book originally and re use them.

Which as a collector sits better with you?

Thanks guys, I admit it was very satisfying to work on this book not because of helping the book out, but because of who it belonged to. When I heard of Gary's flood, and the damage to his collection it made me wince. So it was nice to be able to make his loss less severe. I will be working on the other two damaged books he had listed as a favor to Gary because has always been there for me as a collector, and friend.

And regarding Chroms question. Yes I think if the book sat for 20 years the stains would become more set, or the rust would possiblly become worse. I was surprised at how rusted the staples and paper were in such a short time.

Which brings up a question.

I can replace the original staples with a set of similar era vintage staples.

Or clean the ones that were in the book originally and re use them.

Which as a collector sits better with you?

Clean the existing staples. At least that way the book still has all its original parts.

Wow! That's incredible, Kenny! :applause:

I say put in new staples because once you have rust, I don't think you can ever really get rid of it completely.

hm

While on the topic...you guys ever been to the "banged up" website?

:devil:

fcsideafter.jpg

Kenney, this is a beautiful job. Yet another of your books improved by the restoration. As always, your judgement is spot on and you know just how far to take a book without compromising it. To me that is the mark of a truly professional restorer (conservator (: ). Just beautiful work!

As far as the staples? See how the originals look after cleaning. If their is doubt then, go with staples from that age.

BangUp1FC.jpg

Bang-UpWaterFC.jpg

BangUp1BC.jpg

Bang-UpWaterBC.jpg

:cry: a HG trooper book gone!

Well not exactly gone, so cry not ye bumper of pressing threads!

Long story short Gary listed this book for sale recently and I bought it on sight. I wet washed the cover and interiors. Staples were totally rusted and will be replaced.

Thought it would be nice to show one of the many books Gary lost when his house was flooded returned to its former self. And also give a shout out to Matt Nelson who I owe everything, he taught me all I know about restoration and he taught me well.

This was one wrinkly book!

coverbefore.jpg

fccoverafter.jpg

interiorbefore-1.jpg

interiorcoverafter.jpg

backinoteriorbeforeopen.jpg

bcinterioraftr.jpg

interiorfcbeforeopen.jpg

openinteriorfcafter.jpg

bottomwrinkly.jpg

DSC06208.jpg

fcsidebeofre.jpg

fctopsidespine2.jpg

bcopenedgeafter.jpg

interioropenbefore.jpg

Staples obviously not replaced yet.

interioraftr.jpg

DSC06202.jpg

fcsideafter.jpg

(worship)

Kenny asked me if it would be cool for him to post the images showing the before/during and after of the book. I told him "of course - do it!"

Now that's what restoration is all about, my friends.

Great work, pal.

Kenny asked me if it would be cool for him to post the images showing the before/during and after of the book. I told him "of course - do it!"

Now that's what restoration is all about, my friends.

Great work, pal.

:gossip: conservation..