• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

Man did I love issue 26 & 27!

Those where a good read. My favourite part of the story line though will always be the Cobra Island civil war story line especially when Destro comes in at the end.

:)

I did like all things Cobra Island (probably because I got to see all those cool water vehicles in play. (lots of those toys!)

Yeah some good toys. It was the last series I bought personally as a kid especially all the Destro Iron Grenadiers stuff. I still want to get a A.G.P. and Despoiler. Probably try and get those this year if I can find someone to trade with.

My want list for vehicles then I got all the vehicles I want done.

Vehicle and parts -

1984 skyhawk - landing struts

vamp mark 2 - one missile, steering wheel

mountain howtzer - shell

sears mms cobra - computer stand (black)

destro despoiler

destro razorback

destro agp

dragon fly body with working rotor

Then there is the figures I want to finish. I only collect 1982-89 when it comes to the toys.

------------------------------------

weapons and gear I need:

-1983 Destro - gun x1

-1984 Blowtorch - a light green flamethrower, and a yellow airmask (need upgraded)

-1984 Deep Six - bellows system

-1984 Spirit - brown and white eagle

-1985 alpine - a black grappling-hook rifle, a black grappling hook attached to a weight by a string

-1985 quick kick - nunchucks

-1985 Sgt. Slaughter - a dark brown baton

-1987 falcon - a green antenna (that fit in the backpack)

-1987 Gung-Ho - a gold sword

-1987 Psyche-Out - a silver handheld box with red radar dish

-1987 Sneak Peek - a black microphone

-1987 Maverick - a blue helmet

-1987 Big Boa - a black stand

-1987 Croc Master - a black mouthpiece

-1987 Crystal Ball - a hypno shield

-1987 Raptor - a brown falcon

-1987 W.O.R.M.S. - a brown antenna

-1987 Royal Guard - a gray handgun, a red antenna

-1987 Golobulus - a red rifle

-1988 tiger force flint - a dark gray shotgun

-1988 Toxo Viper - a large black backpack

-1989 Scoop - a green helmet

-1989 night viper - green scope

just figures parts or whole figures:

1982 Cobra - left arm

1983 Cobra officer - good chest logo

1987 zanzibar

1989 Darklon

completed figures with all gear:

1982/1983 Steeler

1982/1983 Hawk

1983 The Enemy Viper Pilot*

1983 Grand Slam (silver pads jet pack soldier)

1984 Cobra Stinger Driver*

1985 Heavy Metal

1985 Keel-Haul

1985 Listen n' Fun Tripwire

1986 Cross-Country*

1986 Lift-Ticket

1986 Sgt-Slaughter

1986 Slip-Stream*

1986 A.V.A.C.

1986 Strato Viper*

1987 Back-Stop

1987 Hard Top

1987 Payload

1987 Rumbler

1987 Starduster

1987 Steam-Roller

1987 Gyro-Viper

1988 Sgt. Slaughter

1988 Nullifier

1989 Countdown

1989 Dee-Jay

1989 Deep Six

1989 Dogfight

1989 Hot Seat

1989 Longrange

1989 Payload

1989 Rampage

1989 Windchill

1989 Aero-Viper

1989 Frag Viper

1989 Gnawgahyde

1989 Track Viper

1989 Wild Boar

all 1986 special mission brazil

all night force

tiger force - Duke, Dusty, Frostbite, , Recondo, Skystriker

all slaughter marauders

all python patrol except python viper

So what is the key book to have in the GI Joe series - issue 1 of the first series or issue 21, or .....? Trying to figure out a good book to grab from this series for a buddy.

hmmm... good question.

I don't think I could chose between the two... (shrug)

So what is the key book to have in the GI Joe series - issue 1 of the first series or issue 21, or .....? Trying to figure out a good book to grab from this series for a buddy.

I'd still say it's gotta be # 1, followed closely by 21 and 155. For reading enjoyment though, 26 + 27 are hard to beat, but also 93-95, 144, and of course 107-111 where the Saw Viper murders many Joes, is a good run as well. You'd have to combine with issues of Special Missions, but the storyline that runs through (I believe, can't remember exact issues), 59-64 with some Special Missions issues might be the best run of the entire series. In a nutshell, Stalker, Snow Job, and others go on a secret mission to an foreign city, and are captured. Only one escapes, and because he left his boys (which was what he was commanded to do by a higher ranking solider [trying not to give spoilers], he's ostracized. It really is a great read!

Jay

21 is more sought after than 1.

For non-Joe fans I would agree... however if you look at number of sales (which I understand is limited to GPA's tracking of CGC books) and the number of books graded compared to value I would say #1 is more collected (assuming the number of graded comics has a corresponding number of people wanting non-graded copies. 21 demands a premium though; I'm sure due to its limited number compared to #1 and it's wider audience appeal. If there were an equal number of 21's out there I do not see the demand (or cost) being as high as a #1.

#1 - 1845 graded copies (415 in 9.8 & 524 in 9.6)

12 month average for 9.8 - $251 (27) sales

12 month average for 9.6 - $100 (42) sales

12 month average for 9.4 - $70 (31) sales

#21 - 661 grade copies (70 in 9.8 & 195 in 9.6)

12 month average for 9.8 - $569 (4) sales

12 month average for 9.6 - $172 (18) sales

12 month average for 9.4 - $99 (9) sales

THIS IS ALL OPINION FROM A LOWLY FIREFIGHTER THOUGH SO DO NOT PLACE ANY TRUST IN MY COMMENTS :foryou:

Honesty, Joe fan or not, it's hard to believe any serious collector (that deals with the Copper/Modern Age of course) not having (or wanting) both issues.

21 is more sought after than 1.

For non-Joe fans I would agree... however if you look at number of sales (which I understand is limited to GPA's tracking of CGC books) and the number of books graded compared to value I would say #1 is more collected (assuming the number of graded comics has a corresponding number of people wanting non-graded copies. 21 demands a premium though; I'm sure due to its limited number compared to #1 and it's wider audience appeal. If there were an equal number of 21's out there I do not see the demand (or cost) being as high as a #1.

#1 - 1845 graded copies (415 in 9.8 & 524 in 9.6)

12 month average for 9.8 - $251 (27) sales

12 month average for 9.6 - $100 (42) sales

12 month average for 9.4 - $70 (31) sales

#21 - 661 grade copies (70 in 9.8 & 195 in 9.6)

12 month average for 9.8 - $569 (4) sales

12 month average for 9.6 - $172 (18) sales

12 month average for 9.4 - $99 (9) sales

THIS IS ALL OPINION FROM A LOWLY FIREFIGHTER THOUGH SO DO NOT PLACE ANY TRUST IN MY COMMENTS :foryou:

Honesty, Joe fan or not, it's hard to believe any serious collector (that deals with the Copper/Modern Age of course) not having (or wanting) both issues.

Thanks for the data.

Out of curiosity why would 21 be more sought after - I get the first Storm Shadow is a cool book. BUt better than #1 which has first issues status + first Snake Eyes + Baroness + Hawk etc.??? Is it just because 21 is tougher to find in high grade?

All of this discussion kind of makes me want copies for myself as well :)

Issue 21 became the talk of the comic industry due to the fact that it contains no words; the entire story is told with art only. The concept has been repeated a few times in other books but none with the success that Hama's story had.

Besides a great story that introduces Storm Shadow and makes it clear there's a connection between him and Snake Eyes it's a novelty; part of comic history. I even heard a story once that an art class at a University that studied the book as a demonstration of how art alone can tell a story.

Like I said at first, I could not chose between the two... they both have lots of importance to both to GI Joe genre and the comic industry of the day.

But issue 1 has some good history as well - it is the first comic book ever to be advertised in a television commercial!

I'd still say it's gotta be # 1, followed closely by 21 and 155. For reading enjoyment though, 26 + 27 are hard to beat, but also 93-95, 144, and of course 107-111 where the Saw Viper murders many Joes, is a good run as well. You'd have to combine with issues of Special Missions, but the storyline that runs through (I believe, can't remember exact issues), 59-64 with some Special Missions issues might be the best run of the entire series. In a nutshell, Stalker, Snow Job, and others go on a secret mission to an foreign city, and are captured. Only one escapes, and because he left his boys (which was what he was commanded to do by a higher ranking solider [trying not to give spoilers], he's ostracized. It really is a great read!

Jay

Everything through about the first 85 or so issues and the Special Missions are still my favorite comics books of all time. Love it.

Issue 21 became the talk of the comic industry due to the fact that it contains no words; the entire story is told with art only. The concept has been repeated a few times in other books but none with the success that Hama's story had.

Besides a great story that introduces Storm Shadow and makes it clear there's a connection between him and Snake Eyes it's a novelty; part of comic history. I even heard a story once that an art class at a University that studied the book as a demonstration of how art alone can tell a story.

Like I said at first, I could not chose between the two... they both have lots of importance to both to GI Joe genre and the comic industry of the day.

But issue 1 has some good history as well - it is the first comic book ever to be advertised in a television commercial!

See I did not know that about Issue #21 - that is very cool! I just thought it was key because of the Storm Shadow first appearance (which it is obviously is). Thanks for the info.

Speaking of G.I. Joe - does anyone know why there is a "large staple" variant of the Direct Edition of G.I. Joe #1. Is it recognized as an official variant? If not, perhaps it should be.

There's a whole thread about it from a couple of years back...

You're the OP.

:D

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4204661

Plus, I'm a bit of a , and there's lots of information that came to light.

Good thread.

:)

I've been searching and searching so maybe I misread something but I thought even with the original GI Joe books from the 50's there was also a silent issue.

REALLY?? That would be interesting! I know a guy in Canada that has everyone of those books, I'll reach out and see what he knows.

I've been searching and searching so maybe I misread something but I thought even with the original GI Joe books from the 50's there was also a silent issue.

REALLY?? That would be interesting! I know a guy in Canada that has everyone of those books, I'll reach out and see what he knows.

Yeah don't quote me on that. I remember at one point writing down the number since wanted to check it out but the source may have been unreliable. I was looking at a list and #85 was on there since it only has sound effects.

And from all lists I have seen of silent issue books GI Joe 21 is always the first one listed.

If only they could translate Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow onto the live-action movie screen like they were in the Larry Hama comics.

It can be done.

An example is Deadpool looked mediocre in the Wolverine movie,but looks like he will be really cool in his new movie like he is in the comics.

Jay

Everything through about the first 85 or so issues and the Special Missions are still my favorite comics books of all time. Love it.

Special Missions was so underrated. Great series with great covers!

Oh, yeah. Special Missions are my jam :cloud9:

If only they could translate Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow onto the live-action movie screen like they were in the Larry Hama comics.

It can be done.

An example is Deadpool looked mediocre in the Wolverine movie,but looks like he will be really cool in his new movie like he is in the comics.

I think the issue here is that they are owned by a Toy company. While they'd love a successful film (and the two movies, specifically the first one, made a really nice profit), I think what they want is a successful movie that serves as marketing for where equal to or even better money is at, the licensing and toys. For years now Joes (the toys) has been very much more directed at older fans, with their overpriced subscription club things and con exclusives and 5 million points of articulation that you have to be an old man to care about. That they failed, G.I. Joe is still very much an old man's hobby (and I'm not making fun, I'm a gigantic fan) doesn't change that they'd love to be back in with kids (that failed cartoon that was A-Teamish seemed like something in that direction).

I think that's why we didn't see anything extended or new come out of that Warren Ellis penned cartoon, Resolute, which seemed to have pretty universally tweaked people's interest, but I think they were old men.

I love G.I.Joe but we are in an odd place where military based stuff isn't vogue, american rah rah isn't vogue, and the old base says they want new stuff but they hate anything that doesn't look like what's old. You can draw a lot of parallels between Joe and american comics.