• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I cracked three slabs this morning...,
1 1

208 posts in this topic

To me, unless you intend to actually read the slabbed copy, there is no point in cracking it. It certainly is as well protected as it would be in anything else that I know of.

Though the plastic of the slab does tend to grey cover whites -- so if you enjoy the appearance of a book, it will look much better in mylar.

To me, unless you intend to actually read the slabbed copy, there is no point in cracking it. It certainly is as well protected as it would be in anything else that I know of.

Though the plastic of the slab does tend to grey cover whites -- so if you enjoy the appearance of a book, it will look much better in mylar.

If you're keeping the book, it needs to breathe. I don't think slabs have been around long enough to assess long term damage to the books inside, but I have my suspicions.

The main thing is.....you are enjoying the hobby....like when you were a kid.

ahhhhhh......Stumbo the Giant. I loved those 60's Harveys cuz they showed so many covers to other books for sale. That always intrigued me. I never got much into Horror books.....but I can still remember seeing the covers of House of Mystery books......and other scary books from DC during the early 70's. I didn't even know who Wrightson was.....but the covers were great.

Crack away my friend......crack away !!

If you're keeping the book, it needs to breathe. I don't think slabs have been around long enough to assess long term damage to the books inside, but I have my suspicions.

I was under the impression that slabs aren't air tight.

Outer wells maybe, inner wells are sealed in pretty tight.

Cracked another - an FF - last night. :thumbsup:

Neither the innner well nor the outer holder are airtight for the sole purpose of allowing offgassing to occur.

Neither the innner well nor the outer holder are airtight for the sole purpose of allowing offgassing to occur.

That was I had thought too but you said it better.

:ohm

Your guess was correct - I had two other FFs to put away last night, and decided to make it three...., :acclaim:

:think: I thought is was for the sole purpose of allowing the staples to rust while still in the slab...., :shrug:

:think: I thought is was for the sole purpose of allowing the staples to rust while still in the slab...., :shrug:

um, what does the slab not being airtight have to do with allowing staples to rust? (shrug)

um, what does the slab not being airtight have to do with allowing staples to rust? (shrug)

What is this? The Spanish Inquisition? It was a joke. Look up fire proof safes and slab storage. The CGC case does not offer absolute protection against anything. CGC encapsulation has not been around long enough to offer any long term proof of anything.

In my opinion, the inner well doesn't breathe properly for long term storage - books I keep, I crack out. Your opinion may vary, and I'm sure your opinion is well within the majority of the opinions around here.

So that I may be better armed in our next battle of wits, please point me to the scientific discussion of CGC well breathing - both inner and outer.

Anything tasty? :whatev:

three DC SA war - two SSWS and one OOAW :headbang:

Issue numbers, grades and prices? :baiting:

:foryou:

Geez, Fay, I'm old - that was like 10 days ago - you expect me to remember that :shrug:

Sigh..., :sorry:

I'll head to log book, and try to figure it out....,

SSWS 149 8.5

SSWS 166 9.4

OAAW 215 8.5

and..., I got them all dirt cheap, which is usually the only way I get slabs. The 166 was a real coup - tough book, with few bidders - all not serious for how serious the book is.

How come you're not asking about the Baby Hueys and Stumbos? :shrug: Those were all 9.2s and 9.4s :acclaim:

Geez, Fay, I'm old - that was like 10 days ago - you expect me to remember that :shrug:

SSWS 149 8.5

SSWS 166 9.4

OAAW 215 8.5

and..., I got them all dirt cheap, which is usually the only way I get slabs. The 166 was a real coup - tough book, with few bidders - all not serious for how serious the book is.

How come you're not asking about the Baby Hueys and Stumbos? :shrug: Those were all 9.2s and 9.4s :acclaim:

Baby Huey and Stumbos!! :o

I only need the SSWS 149.

You're only as old as you feel. (shrug)

SSWS 149 8.5

SSWS 166 9.4

OAAW 215 8.5

My unca' Howie says you're only as old as the girl you feel..., which makes me..., :acclaim: 47 !!! Which is..., exactly the same age..., as I actually am..., :sorry: basically, old. :eek:

If you need my undercopy SSWS 149, you're welcome to it. It was mid grade with a nice appearance. PM me for details.

You really need some Baby Hueys to lighten your perspective. I was inventorying last night, and I only have about four issues of Baby Huey and Papa, and guess what - frickin' duplicate at #14 - both copies VF+. What are the odds? :shrug:

SSWS 149 8.5

SSWS 166 9.4

OAAW 215 8.5

My unca' Howie says you're only as old as the girl you feel..., which makes me..., :acclaim: 47 !!! Which is..., exactly the same age..., as I actually am..., :sorry: basically, old. :eek:

If you need my undercopy SSWS 149, you're welcome to it. It was mid grade with a nice appearance. PM me for details.

You really need some Baby Hueys to lighten your perspective. I was inventorying last night, and I only have about four issues of Baby Huey and Papa, and guess what - frickin' duplicate at #14 - both copies VF+. What are the odds? :shrug:

47!!! :o I shouldn't talk and turning 39 again this year was

exhausting. doh!

Baby Huey to lighten my perspective. (shrug) My perspective is

already too light. And speaking of light I just bought a few more

books and will have to pass on the SSWS 149 until some other

payday.

Thank you for the offer.

SSWS 149 8.5

SSWS 166 9.4

OAAW 215 8.5

47!!! :o I shouldn't talk and turning 39 again this year was

exhausting. doh!

Baby Huey to lighten my perspective. (shrug) My perspective is

already too light. And speaking of light I just bought a few more

books and will have to pass on the SSWS 149 until some other

payday.

Thank you for the offer.

meh Like I would try to sell you something like that - I'm sure I couldn't give it away here, to the effete elite with abundant escargot to eat - send me a pm if you want it.