• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I cracked three slabs this morning...,
1 1

208 posts in this topic

Do you save the labels and turn them in?

I crack out 95% of all my slabbs and keep the labels, why turn them in? If I sell the books they go to the new owners.

I've taken to smoking them now that I gave up cigarettes.

I'm bidding on some entombed undergrounds this week. I hope I win them. Those underground labels are potent.

I crack out 95% of all my slabbs and keep the labels, why turn them in? If I sell the books they go to the new owners.

I've taken to smoking them now that I gave up cigarettes.

I'm bidding on some entombed undergrounds this week. I hope I win them. Those underground labels are potent.

:roflmao:

:shrug:

Census integrity, really. Not terribly important, but each little bit helps.

Not a big deal, the coin censuses have been shot for 20 years.

Well if its been graded and I still own the book in the same condition I'd say the integrity of the census is still there (just not in the slabb). If I threw out the labels [or smoked them as OG does :grin: ] then I can see your point. If I have to resale the book and don't have the label it will hurt my resale value dramatically (generally speaking).

I am getting ready to crack my X-Men 94 for a re-sub.

It will be my first one so I am a little apprehensive.

I know there is a thread here somewhere that shows how to do it safely, that I will need to search out later.

Well if its been graded and I still own the book in the same condition I'd say the integrity of the census is still there (just not in the slabb). If I threw out the labels [or smoked them as OG does :grin: ] then I can see your point. If I have to resale the book and don't have the label it will hurt my resale value dramatically (generally speaking).

I could give a rat's behind about the census, and don't even get me started on integrity. :mad: I file the labels away with the books, and they'll go to the new owners someday.

All, true, except...once a book has been unslabbed, it can't be undone, so even if the label remains with the book in perpetuity, the census assumes books that are still slabbed.

But it's a minor point; like I said, resubs are part and parcel of the coin slabbing biz, and at this point, the census is much more of a suggestion than a hard and fast data point. The good thing is, the census always represents the maximum amount of slabs that exist, so the number is always at, or higher than, the actual extant slabs.

I cracked 3 slabs recently - mid grade ASM #8 + ASM Ann #3 and a 1.8 MP FF#1 for my daughter's reading sets.

It does feel great to flick through the pages.

I think I have spent more on raw books in the last month than CGC books.