• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I cracked three slabs this morning...,
1 1

208 posts in this topic

Release them books and enjoy the story :insane:

This is the part of cracking a book out that I don't understand. For 1/4 the cost of slabbing, a person can obtain a reprint, can't they? (with the exception of GA books).

I can quite understand your point - but I like and want to read the originals hence

CRACK THEM SLABS :o

I agree 100%...

It's almost like if you had the chance to pick between Scarlett Johansson

or someone that looks like her? Even if you gotta spend thousands more in dinning,

roses and limos - You gotta go for the real mccoy if you have the chance.

:cloud9:

I don't know. The real McCoy goes off a few times a year for months at at time to make a movie with People Magazine's sexiest man alive. I think I'd go with someone who looks like her and is waiting for me when I get home every night.

Release them books and enjoy the story :insane:

This is the part of cracking a book out that I don't understand. For 1/4 the cost of slabbing, a person can obtain a reprint, can't they? (with the exception of GA books).

I can quite understand your point - but I like and want to read the originals hence

CRACK THEM SLABS :o

I agree 100%...

It's almost like if you had the chance to pick between Scarlett Johansson

or someone that looks like her? Even if you gotta spend thousands more in dinning,

roses and limos - You gotta go for the real mccoy if you have the chance.

:cloud9:

I don't know. The real McCoy goes off a few times a year for months at at time to make a movie with People Magazine's sexiest man alive. I think I'd go with someone who looks like her and is waiting for me when I get home every night.

(thumbs u

Agreed. An Action Comics #1 requires a humidty-controlled environment, special handling, extra insurance, security cameras and a million-dollar bank account. An Action Comics #1 reprint has much, much less maintenance and is much, much more affordable.

when a slab comes along

you must crack it

before the microchamber paper sits out too long

you must crack it

when slabbing's going wrong

you must crack it

d-e_d-1980-720.jpg

Approves.

Your comics are slowly dying as they stew in their own juices inside the CGC tomb. Set them free for max off-gassing, and replace the microchamber paper - you'll be amazed at the stench of old microchamber paper.

Are comics also dying as they stew in their juices inside mylar sleeves?

I thought slabbed comics had to be 're-slabbed' every seven years - is that true?

That's the recommended interval for re-encapsulation by CGC, but the theoretically, the chemicals in the plastic remain inert for decades and the pieces of acid buffering paper(micro chamber paper) that they put in between the front cover and the first page and the back cover and the last page continues to absorb acids long after 7 years.

For the micro chamber paper, mschmidt did a acidity test on paper that had remained in a slab since 2003 and after testing continued to have the same alkaline ph level, I interpreted that to mean that the MCP was still buffering long after the 7 year period. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4534727&fpart=1

When you look at the independent test that BCW supplies undertook, you can see that the gerber backing boards with the 3% acid buffering continue to remain alkaline long after the 20 year aging test, I think it's safe to say that the micro chamber paper can probably achieve similar result. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=232048&Number=5040563#Post5040563

I thought slabbed comics had to be 're-slabbed' every seven years - is that true?

That's the recommended interval for re-encapsulation by CGC, but the theoretically, the chemicals in the plastic remain inert for decades and the pieces of acid buffering paper(micro chamber paper) that they put in between the front cover and the first page and the back cover and the last page continues to absorb acids long after 7 years.

For the micro chamber paper, mschmidt did a acidity test on paper that had remained in a slab since 2003 and after testing continued to have the same alkaline ph level, I interpreted that to mean that the MCP was still buffering long after the 7 year period. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4534727&fpart=1

When you look at the independent test that BCW supplies undertook, you can see that the gerber backing boards with the 3% acid buffering continue to remain alkaline long after the 20 year aging test, I think it's safe to say that the micro chamber paper can probably achieve similar result. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=232048&Number=5040563#Post5040563

Thanks very much for the information (thumbs u

I cracked out 6 pedigree books last night. :cloud9:

Does that, theoretically, make the rest of the pedigrees more valuable by removing proof of providence from your six books?

+1

+1

But Dr B.

CRACK THE PLASTIC and READ

+1

But Dr B.

I'm okay with reprints. For instance, I have Uncanny 94 in a slab, but when I get the hankerin' to read 94-200 Uncanny X-Men (about once every two years) I just grab my trusty X-Men Essentials and go to town, reading it in bed or in the bathroom, dog-earing the pages and so forth.

Then, when I'm done - I look at my nice, shiny, 7.0 barely spine-ticked 94 and feel joy in owning such a nice looking copy.

This thread has educated me, though - I definitely don't feel the compelling need to slab *all* of my keys.

+1

But Dr B.

I'm okay with reprints. For instance, I have Uncanny 94 in a slab, but when I get the hankerin' to read 94-200 Uncanny X-Men (about once every two years) I just grab my trusty X-Men Essentials and go to town, reading it in bed or in the bathroom, dog-earing the pages and so forth.

Then, when I'm done - I look at my nice, shiny, 7.0 barely spine-ticked 94 and feel joy in owning such a nice looking copy.

This thread has educated me, though - I definitely don't feel the compelling need to slab *all* of my keys.

Before I had my son, every birthday, I would pull out X-men 1 - 10 and enjoy a good quality read. :cloud9: Now, I pull out my Marvel Masterworks and read that just in case.

X-Men 94 - 200 ... quality reading... Like you trades have there place and many of mine are dog-eared. :headbang: