• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I cracked three slabs this morning...,
1 1

208 posts in this topic

I cracked my first slab last night. Had to prep some books for SS at New Orleans. Batman 492 Platinum in 9.8 for my first crack was a bit of a heart attack waiting to happen. Everything went off great though. :banana:

Cracking the book is a breeze, getting the book out of the seal is a whole

different ball game.

I cracked my first slab last night. Had to prep some books for SS at New Orleans. Batman 492 Platinum in 9.8 for my first crack was a bit of a heart attack waiting to happen. Everything went off great though. :banana:

:wishluck:

Release them books and enjoy the story :insane:

This is the part of cracking a book out that I don't understand. For 1/4 the cost of slabbing, a person can obtain a reprint, can't they? (with the exception of GA books).

This is the part of cracking a book out that I don't understand. For 1/4 the cost of slabbing, a person can obtain a reprint, can't they? (with the exception of GA books).

I can quite understand your point - but I like and want to read the originals hence

CRACK THEM SLABS :o

Reprints suck. :sick:

Your comics are slowly dying as they stew in their own juices inside the CGC tomb. Set them free for max off-gassing, and replace the microchamber paper - you'll be amazed at the stench of old microchamber paper.

A mylite2 and fullback take up much less space, as well. If your collection is predominantly raw, no point in leaving one book out of the box, isolated from its 100-120 brethern.

Your comics are slowly dying as they stew in their own juices inside the CGC tomb. Set them free for max off-gassing, and replace the microchamber paper - you'll be amazed at the stench of old microchamber paper.

A mylite2 and fullback take up much less space, as well. If your collection is predominantly raw, no point in leaving one book out of the box, isolated from its 100-120 brethern.

(worship)

Cracking the book is a breeze, getting the book out of the seal is a whole

different ball game.

I tap the books down into the lower left corner of the inner well, and use a good heavy duty pair of old sewing scissors to cut first the top off, then the right side. With those two sides open, you can carefully and safely lift out the book. Never had a problem or damage.

Also, I've recently discovered that the outer well is usually easier to remove by breaking the bottom two posts. Not always, but usually.

I can quite understand your point - but I like and want to read the originals hence

CRACK THEM SLABS :o

I agree 100%...

It's almost like if you had the chance to pick between Scarlett Johansson

or someone that looks like her? Even if you gotta spend thousands more in dinning,

roses and limos - You gotta go for the real mccoy if you have the chance.

:cloud9:

I understand the concept of CGC being created to facilitate transactions between strangers. Resto check, 3rd party grading, and verification of print number were crucial, especially with the explosion of Internet commerce.

I would think though, one would find it difficult to argue that the CGC grade has not become valuable in and of itself. If you buy a book that is slabbed you start paying a premium over it being raw, higher as the grade increases. Is it worth the premium to buy a CGC slab from a stranger or pay a reduced price from a reputable dealer? I personally think it would be the latter.

I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, it's just yet another factor to consider when making an investment into a book and how to treat the book once you own it.

I understand the concept of CGC being created to facilitate transactions between strangers. Resto check, 3rd party grading, and verification of print number were crucial, especially with the explosion of Internet commerce.

I would think though, one would find it difficult to argue that the CGC grade has not become valuable in and of itself. If you buy a book that is slabbed you start paying a premium over it being raw, higher as the grade increases. Is it worth the premium to buy a CGC slab from a stranger or pay a reduced price from a reputable dealer? I personally think it would be the latter.

I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, it's just yet another factor to consider when making an investment into a book and how to treat the book once you own it.

A lot of times you can buy the slab cheaper than the raw. It usually is grade dependent, but not always. If you shop around, you can find great deals on slabbed books......., usually because people predominantly slab them to sell them.

I'm not sure how many reputable dealers are out there selling raw HG books. Many slab for resale. But, I don't go on the con circuit, so not sure about that venue.

For your high end comics - then yes CGC is ideal as an independent check and grader. But this has created a whole new breed of collector who likes covers (front and back) and decimal points 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 or 10.0.

I will buy slabbed comics for the security of buying from people I do not know - but then - CRACK THEM and READ THEM

Been reading the thread with interest!

I don't own any slabbed books and I'm kind of put of by the whole concept.

However I've been tempted recently as I've seen quite a few slabbed books at reasonable prices...I'm then put off the idea again as I don't want to go through the trauma of breaking a relatively inexpensive comic (in the whole scheme of things) out of its plastic coffin.

It's starting to bug me out...you dig? (shrug)

Ok, so question about "airing" out a comic. If you have your book in a mylite, backboard and two microchamber papers (front and back) - how often should you take the book out and replace the papers? Every five years? Less?