• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,900 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2021 at 5:12 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

I cannot find one single mark on this to merit an 8.5. It's a 9.4-9.6 IMO granting it's all good inside. I imagine it is.

Detective 412.jpg

Detective 412 Back.jpg

When a book is this nice structurally, it's possible that they found a water spot or some other invisible defect that they just hammered. 

On 9/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

When a book is this nice structurally, it's possible that they found a water spot or some other invisible defect that they just hammered. 

Someone fighting with their partner or someone suffering constipation and they took it out on the book. What a shame. It really is a grand book. Absolutely spotless. But I was able to get it for 8.5 pricing and not 9.6 pricing so I cannot complain.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Someone fighting with their partner or someone suffering constipation and they took it out on the book. What a shame. It really is a grand book. Absolutely spotless. But I was able to get it for 8.5 pricing and not 9.6 pricing so I cannot complain.

I love books like this, and have had a few... often there is a colorless water stain that basically just disrupts the gloss, usually back cover .... that I don't mind, as almost invisible stains don't bother me like they do CGC ... popped staples I don't care for much, however. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/24/2021 at 2:38 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The top of the back cover looks like it might have a remainder wash all along the top of the book.  I had a raw copy of Detective #409 that had that along with a little bit of the wash splashed on the top spine edge.  I debated about submitting it to CGC but wasn’t sure if they would treat it the same as distributor overspray or hammer the grade. In the end I opted for selling it and buying an upgraded copy.  It’s possible that’s what accounts for the grade here. 

Scans like this don’t show everything. I have a Detective #397 that’s graded 9.0 and looks really sharp, it looks at first glance like it could be a 9.2, maybe better. But you tilt the book in the right light and you see three faint vertical non-color breaking creases that were pressed out but are still faintly visible. 

It’s possible that with all the QC goof-ups that it’s actually a better book sitting in an 8.5 holder, but I suspect it’s more likely that has defects that just don’t jump out in these scans. 

Edited by Number 6

On 9/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Did you get the grader notes?

On 9/24/2021 at 7:11 PM, Number 6 said:

The top of the back cover looks like it might have a remainder wash all along the top of the book.  I had a raw copy of Detective #409 that had that along with a little bit of the wash splashed on the top spine edge.  I debated about submitting it to CGC but wasn’t sure if they would treat it the same as distributor overspray or hammer the grade. In the end I opted for selling it and buying an upgraded copy.  It’s possible that’s what accounts for the grade here. 

Scans like this don’t show everything. I have a Detective #397 that’s graded 9.0 and looks really sharp, it looks at first glance like it could be a 9.2, maybe better. But you tilt the book in the right light and you see three faint vertical non-color breaking creases that were pressed out but are still faintly visible. 

It’s possible that with all the QC goof-ups that it’s actually a better book sitting in an 8.5 holder, but I suspect it’s more likely that has defects that just don’t jump out in these scans. 

I see what you are saying. But I have been tipping this book all over the place and I'm still not seeing it. I thought the same. "Well, the scans are killer. I'm sure when I get the book there will surely be something to justify 8.5." Just isn't. So maybe there is a spot or two on a page or a half inch tear somewhere. Seems like the book was treated very gently. Even the remainder wash thing doesn't look like that. That would be a huge drag down from what looks like nearly a 9.6. Really? Perfect otherwise but a teeny line across the top back cover and it gets shot down? Dunno. I have seen 9.6 books with color breaking stress creases down the length of the spine but since they had white pages and were otherwise pristine, they got the nod.

I guess it doesn't matter. I love the cover. Adams isn't getting younger. Gorgeous presentation. 8.5 price. Yes. I'll take the deal all day. I can call and ask for grading notes. I did once for a Batman #3 that presented as at least a 7.0 but was graded at 2.0. They read back the notes. "Front cover crumbled and creased." What? "Yes. As if someone took the front cover off, crumbled it into a ball, straightened it and reattached it." WOT? Not seeing that AT ALL! LOL!

On 9/25/2021 at 9:00 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Popped staples are the worst. I have a really nice looking FF 82, looks like a 7.5 but top staple has popped...grrr 

Ack. A common lament with Batman #222. The bottom staple has let go the centerfold in many cases. Greenie time. but it's a manufacturing problem.

There is a raw Green Lantern #63 on eBay I would like. Detached centerfold otherwise perhaps a 7.0. 1st Neal Adams GL cover. $7.50! WHY CAN'T I PULL THE TRIGGER OVER A LOUSY $7.50??? HA-HA!

On 9/24/2021 at 11:25 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Did you get the grader notes?

No, sir. I must call and perhaps they will read them to me. Sometimes they are kind. Perhaps NOT knowing is better?

"Yes sir. Page 10 is ripped halfway down the middle. Otherwise, it would have been a 9.9. SO SORRY, SIR. (Cue sad "Price Is Right" music.) You fell off the Matterhorn game."

On 9/25/2021 at 5:33 PM, Number 6 said:

Just got these in the mail today.  Granted, technically one of them falls just outside the Bronze age, but didn't feel like make a separate post in another forum for must one book.

Won these on eBay earlier this week.  It was clear that the seller was relatively inexperienced at selling comics, was selling a bunch of different kinds of stuff, had photos instead of scans shot at odd angles, no grades....basically a bunch of red flags.  But from what I could see, the books looked pretty nice so I decided to roll the dice since these get pricey when in grade and CGC'd and don't come up often in nice shape raw.

Turns out the books look pretty nice and now I'm regretting not going for some of the other issues he had but I was trying to hedge my bets by going for the ones I thought looked the nicest and that I really needed.  At least two of these will definitely be getting sent to CGC some time early next year.

Apologize for the dumb question ... but what issue numbers are these?  I've seen issue #1 a bunch of times but I haven't seen most of the other covers, and I don't recall how many photo covers they did before switching to more traditional comic art.

EDIT:  Answered my own question with this page:

https://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/star-trek

Looks like you've got #6, #8, and #9, which was the last photo cover. (thumbsu

Edited by Sweet Lou 14