• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ho Ho Ho, bring on the Christmas covers
2 2

861 posts in this topic

file0254.jpg

file0253.jpg

file0255.jpg

Nice books!

I just noticed this...........why were the christmas covers published in Feb-Mar?

Same thing with Superman and Action Comics, which were published monthly. Even if they were predated, March doesn´t realy make any sense to me.

Why wouldn´t they publish the Christmas covers in the Dec. issues?

It's because the publisher wanted longer shelf life for the comics.

file0254.jpg

file0253.jpg

file0255.jpg

Nice books!

I just noticed this...........why were the christmas covers published in Feb-Mar?

Same thing with Superman and Action Comics, which were published monthly. Even if they were predated, March doesn´t realy make any sense to me.

they were "published" in Dec...that is when these books came out (the cover date is not the date released, but the "pull date" back then)

file0254.jpg

file0253.jpg

file0255.jpg

Nice books!

they were "published" in Dec...that is when these books came out (the cover date is not the date released, but the "pull date" back then)

:o

I didn´t know that!

So, why doesn´t cgc mention the date the books were published, instead of listing when they were pulled?

And........so, Action 1 came out in April, not June?

Anyone know who painted/drew this classic cover?

Almost certainly Morris Gollub.

*check*

GCD agrees.

Jack

:tonofbricks: You´re right. I remembered Kellys name in combination with the christmas stories in the funnies. Looks like he drew the stories only.

Thanks for letting us know (thumbs u

*check*

GCD agrees.

Jack

GCD has a "?" next to Gollub. Looking at some of the other covers they attribute to him, none of them seem to have the same style.

I love GCD but have sometimes found their artist credits for unsigned work to be off target.

Looking at some of Gollub's other work (e.g. this nice article on Gollub from the Von's Hollywood blog ) I don't see anything else in the style of this cover.

Have you seen any other work by him in this style? If you look closely, it looks like a tight pencil drawing that has been nicely colored.

Don't mean to pester - I'm just curious because this to me is a masterfully done cover. I, too, wondered if it might be Kelly. Gollub certainly seems to have had the background and skill to do this, but I wonder if there is anything else he did in this style.

Thanks!

*check*

GCD agrees.

Jack

GCD has a "?" next to Gollub. Looking at some of the other covers they attribute to him, none of them seem to have the same style.

I love GCD but have sometimes found their artist credits for unsigned work to be off target.

Looking at some of Gollub's other work (e.g. this nice article on Gollub from the Von's Hollywood blog ) I don't see anything else in the style of this cover.

Have you seen any other work by him in this style? If you look closely, it looks like a tight pencil drawing that has been nicely colored.

Don't mean to pester - I'm just curious because this to me is a masterfully done cover. I, too, wondered if it might be Kelly. Gollub certainly seems to have had the background and skill to do this, but I wonder if there is anything else he did in this style.

Thanks!

I'm definitely not an artist ID expert, but I do think this looks like Gollub's "children's book" style. The link you cited had only adventure/dino stories (at least that's all that I saw), which tend to be harder-edged.

I wonder why the GCD credit has a question mark. The attributions by Alberto Becattini and some other Dell experts at GCD tend to be right. Take a look at Gollub's other credits at GCD (do a penciler search) and in particular Four Color 205 that's credited to Gollub without a question mark. I don't think 128 (or 205) is by Kelly.

FC205-1.jpg

Jack

file0254.jpg

file0253.jpg

file0255.jpg

Nice books!

:o

I didn´t know that!

So, why doesn´t cgc mention the date the books were published, instead of listing when they were pulled?

And........so, Action 1 came out in April, not June?

Correct. In the magazine industry you talk about issues in terms of the cover date and it's pretty easy to know what that easy -- much harder to determine publication or distribution date as those can be 1 - 3 months earlier.

This one would have to be right up there with the best of them.

FC366.jpg

One of the greatest Christmas comics!

Bestest Christmas comic ever! :applause: