• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures

207 posts in this topic

I like richie munchin just fine... does a lot of self resto to his books (usually discloses, though I have heard not always, intentional or not, I can't say) and has given me a couple of killer deals at conventions (never via ebay, but "live" in person)...he is kind of anti slabbing books (not to the greg white extent, but close), and I have had a great time talking with him at cons... he is an interesting fellow, to say the least

Yea hes alright (got some nice stuff from him), does want a little too much for some of his books that I find for quite less elsewhere though. Only thing, he needs to understand that most of the world of collectors consider "glue" as restoration. I wish it was not the case but that's how CGC considers it.

At conventions, he (they?) always act like I'm wasting their time and I'm too much trouble to deal with. I get the impression they'd rather sit and eat sandwiches or fiddle with big stacks of golden age comics than help out a potential customer. Plus the "conservation" thing troubles me. I think he's doing restoration and calling it by another name. But if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

So I never buy from them. I'll go to other dealers who will at least acknowledge my existence.

I bought a book on Ebay.. Paid for it.

Richard than got back to me stating that the archival taped tears were actually just tape. I was happy he told me, but he re-listed the book for same price with tape, so I backed away. Some nice books, but he spooks me

And I also dont like the conservation method he uses. He will put glue and sealed tears under conservation. While I understand he is conserving the book, sealed tears is most definitely restoration also

At conventions, he (they?) always act like I'm wasting their time and I'm too much trouble to deal with. I get the impression they'd rather sit and eat sandwiches or fiddle with big stacks of golden age comics than help out a potential customer.

I've had the exact same experience every time I've approached his table. He always seems to be sitting by himself looking through piles of comics, and appears to be annoyed if I speak to him.

Thanks everybody - i was thinking about making a best offer on a book - not very expensive, but sounds as if I should ask about tape and/or glue.

Do you have a link for the book you are interested in? No worries if you dont want to make it public, but I always like to see what boardies are purchasing/interested in

I like him. He generally lists in the auction ad what has been done to a book, and his selection is quite good. Not very personable (at least not via e-mail, never met him in person)... But I've been satisfied with our previous transactions (thumbs u

I've mentioned this before but Richard was the first dealer I ever bought from when I started the hobby b/c he had / has a wide selection of books. His grading is generally accurate on low- to mid-grade and he discloses resto. His pricing is okay. Try and give him a call to talk about the book and making an offer. That's worth the experience. He is a talker as Rick mentioned and over the phone he comes across better than during cons. (thumbs u

Thanks everybody - i was thinking about making a best offer on a book - not very expensive, but sounds as if I should ask about tape and/or glue.

If the book is on eBAY he makes an effort to list resto and conservation that he is aware of...if he states "none " next to all those categories,he believes the book to be original.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. If he offers a money back guarantee, he'll make good on it.

I like him, he's interesting. I went through that ignoring thing for a while, till someone I know introduced us, then I couldn't get him to stop talking. He's VERY knowledgeable, nice, I think the eating sandwiches, reading newspaper thingy, is because he might actually be shy until he knows you.

I've bought several times, never a problem. I do suggest you ask if he's done ANYTHING to the book, in case he forgets to mention it...

At conventions, he (they?) always act like I'm wasting their time and I'm too much trouble to deal with. I get the impression they'd rather sit and eat sandwiches or fiddle with big stacks of golden age comics than help out a potential customer.

I've had the exact same experience when I approached his table. He always seems to be sitting by himself looking through piles of comics, and appears to be annoyed if I speak to him.

Same exact thing happened.. asked him about a book, asked to look at it.. when i told him that the book appeared to have glue on the spine, he said that this did not mean it was restored..when i told him that cgc would disagree, he told me he could give two what cgc thougt or what i thought for that matter.. he then went back to reading a book.. cant understand why you never see anyone by the guys table, friendly as he is..

i also bought a lot of books from him on ebay until he filed 10 unpaid strikes on me at once and even after i paid, wouldn't remove them. Guys crazy as a loon and I wouldn't buy books from him if he was giving them away.. Just my two cents

I have found that most dealers are friendly if you spend lots of money at their shop.

But I wouldn't do that to make them happy.

If you are serious about buying something, then you won't have a problem getting their attention.

Some people just take a little time to warm up.

They are at work and not at play so try to think about how you feel at work, i.e.,

a little more serious and a little less chatty, unless something is going on.

My take on the situation.

bb

I like richie munchin just fine... does a lot of self resto to his books (usually discloses, though I have heard not always, intentional or not, I can't say) and has given me a couple of killer deals at conventions (never via ebay, but "live" in person)...he is kind of anti slabbing books (not to the greg white extent, but close), and I have had a great time talking with him at cons... he is an interesting fellow, to say the least

This has pretty much been my experience as well. I've gotten some great books out of the piles on his table and at great prices, too. I've never done any mail order, though...

This has pretty much been my experience as well. I've gotten some great books out of the piles on his table and at great prices, too. I've never done any mail order, though...

Me three. Richie is an acquired taste, but once you get to know him, he's a really good guy. EXCEPTIONALLY knowledgeable about the hobby, and can source anything.

i also bought a lot of books from him on ebay until he filed 10 unpaid strikes on me at once and even after i paid, wouldn't remove them. Guys crazy as a loon and I wouldn't buy books from him if he was giving them away.. Just my two cents

Well, in fairness, quite a few of us have had to file NPBs to nudge you to pay for your ebay wins in a timely manner. Not looking to pick a fight, nor a defense of Richard per se, but just stating a fact.