• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrong printing discovered in Returned PGX Graded Book- Do I have legal options?

430 posts in this topic

fair enough, that is important info. I'm sure he didnt know any better at the time and liked the cheaper rates they offered. Remember he submitted this book in 2005

OK, I'll bite:

-why did he crack it out 3 years later?

-why did he have to video tape cracking it out (I've cracked a fair share of pgx/cgg slabs and never felt compelled to videotape it)?

-why did it take 3 years to figure out it was not the book he originally submitted?

-oh, and why, of all things to post as a noob, does he choose to post this as his first post?

Enquiring minds want to know.

hm

No, inquiring minds do not want to know. (tsk)

fair enough, that is important info. I'm sure he didnt know any better at the time and liked the cheaper rates they offered. Remember he submitted this book in 2005

OK, I'll bite:

-why did he crack it out 3 years later?

-why did he have to video tape cracking it out (I've cracked a fair share of pgx/cgg slabs and never felt compelled to videotape it)?

-why did it take 3 years to figure out it was not the book he originally submitted?

-oh, and why, of all things to post as a noob, does he choose to post this as his first post?

Enquiring minds want to know.

hm

1-to have it regraded by cgc

2-to document for potential sale and in case there was any funny buisness regarding the horrors of pgx

3- because he only discovered it after it was cracked

4- because he was directed to this site because it is full of helpful and informative people that would assist him with what to do about it :tonofbricks:

I still would like to hear it all from the horses mouth, I'm done playing spokesman for the evening. :/

This is a good point - wasn't this before the Terence Leder issues came to light? And CGC was still recovering from Jason Ewert around the time.

This is a good point - wasn't this before the Terence Leder issues came to light? And CGC was still recovering from Jason Ewert around the time.

Jason Ewert? I someone can elaborate via PM, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.

No...the Terrance Leder and PGX connection was well known well before the Ewert fiasco...

Jim

If the damaged happened in the slab, why wouldn't the original owner return the book to CGC and say, "Look-it, my book got damaged in the slab."

Irrelevant.

The original seller sold it with full disclosure and close up photos of the damage. His choice.

The buyer then attempted to sell it on without. Also his choice.

Just wondering whether this choice qualifies as 'underhanded', as this was the word being casually bandied about last night? (shrug)

I wasn't necessarily asking within the context of the situation here. Just in general.

I do agree with you here as I saw the original post where the book was sold and the damage highlighted.

Was it an underhanded act to sell the book without the same level of disclosure? Well, underhanded might be a strong word. I would call it neglectful.

I would call it neither. I didn't "have" to say anything with regard to my opinion on the book. Like I said before, if anyone detests the disclaimer, you can be a true comic industry crusader and save some buyer from falling into some apparent trap I have created...by buying the book yourself and selling it with whatever disclaimer you please.

I'd say the Flaming guy should buy it because he likes to be the crazed, "look at me" attention-whore crusader whenever possible.

If the damaged happened in the slab, why wouldn't the original owner return the book to CGC and say, "Look-it, my book got damaged in the slab."

Irrelevant.

The original seller sold it with full disclosure and close up photos of the damage. His choice.

The buyer then attempted to sell it on without. Also his choice.

Just wondering whether this choice qualifies as 'underhanded', as this was the word being casually bandied about last night? (shrug)

I wasn't necessarily asking within the context of the situation here. Just in general.

I do agree with you here as I saw the original post where the book was sold and the damage highlighted.

Was it an underhanded act to sell the book without the same level of disclosure? Well, underhanded might be a strong word. I would call it neglectful.

You might have a point. hm

Although the conscious switch from 'post-slabbing damage' to 'overgraded' isn't really 'neglectful'? (shrug)

The conscious decision to express my own assesment is neglectful? You really are batty. I don't think it is post-slab damage. I examined the book carefully, and don't see how the damage would be post-slabbing damage. I think it was just an overgraded book.

so none of you even know anything about him.

Finally we have come to the crux of the matter...we know diddly about MagicDan yet we are supposed to buy his story hook, line and sinker...I don't think so...

Just because PGX is a notoriously krappy business does not mean that, by default, MagicDan is correct in his claims...

Whether he is correct or not, he does not deserve ridicule at this point.

Sometimes that is just a way to weed out the truth...

Well, then that speaks volumes right there. Fundamental differences. I don't agree with that, and will never agree with that.

What grade would you give the Ultimate Spider Man #2?

Did you buy it directly from the seller that described the damage as post slab, and posted the photo of the crack by the staple, or from someone else?

I sell certified books at the certified grade whether I agree with the grade or not. I disagree with CGC in high grade quite often, but whether it be in my favor or not I sell what it is. My personal grade is a 9.4--but nobody cares what my grades are, that's why I send books in to be certified. I bought the book from that seller. I put it in my eBay store with a disclaimer that I disagree with the grade. Sounds just fine to me.

That's not the answer I was hoping to hear.

It might be semantics to you, but what you said is.." *In my opinion this book was overgraded."

When you don't disclose everything that you're aware of, it leaves you wide open to speculation that you are just covering your butt for when a buyer gets the book and says" WTF? There's damage to the spine that makes this book about a 9.0??"

It's not trimming or color touch, but it's pretty weak.

Like I said before, I DO think it was just an overgraded book. I am not responsible for CGC's assesment. I don't work for CGC. If the buyer gets a book that they personally think is a 9.4, and it was a certified 9.8 that is a reflection upon CGC. The same goes if it was certified 9.8, and a buyer thought it was a 10.0. I don't have to do anything to "cover" my butt. The book is certified, so I don't hold myself responsible for their grades at all. My disclaimer is simply a courtesy to buyers that is based on my personal assesment.

Food for thought:

What if MagicDan paid $1000 for this slab, cracked it out, and found it was a third print. How does that change the situation? Does it change at all?

Seriously! I can't understand why all the questions are so critical of the OP when these guys make their business CERTIFYING comics.

At the very least, they should have an insurance policy, be bonded, et cetera, to protect themselves.

Worst case scenario: He's a crook and sends in a third print, representing it -- and getting it back graded -- as a first print. Then waits (for some unknown reason) to crack it until 3 years later.

STILL -- they certified a third print as a first print and therefore their very business is at stake, and they should pay. At the least, just so the guy doesn't go to a dozen boards and let everyone know what dufuses these guys are.

Food for thought:

What if MagicDan paid $1000 for this slab, cracked it out, and found it was a third print. How does that change the situation? Does it change at all?

Seriously! I can't understand why all the questions are so critical of the OP when these guys make their business CERTIFYING comics.

At the very least, they should have an insurance policy, be bonded, et cetera, to protect themselves.

Worst case scenario: He's a crook and sends in a third print, representing it -- and getting it back graded -- as a first print. Then waits (for some unknown reason) to crack it until 3 years later.

STILL -- they certified a third print as a first print and therefore their very business is at stake, and they should pay. At the least, just so the guy doesn't go to a dozen boards and let everyone know what dufuses these guys are.

:golfclap:

I agree completely. I'm really not sure why everyone is trying to jump down this guys throat when it simply doesn't make sense that he's doing this to try to run some kind of scam.

Come on people. He had this book graded 3 years ago. Also, I remember a year or two ago when he posted on the CPG forums about getting a different PGX book back after they had screwed up their slabbing process on it. They're the ones who messed up, and yet they refused to give him any kind of refund until he posted a video or picture of the book after it was removed from their holder. It was almost like they were holding his money for ransom until he destroyed the evidence of their incompetence.

So to me, it does make sense that he would make video recordings of any future PGX books he cracked open that have been graded by them. I'd want to cover my myself too after what they pulled with him the first time.

What makes more sense? That he might actually be telling the truth here? Or that he had this book graded 3 years ago. Then waited 2 years to post about another problem with another PGX book so he'd then have a valid reason to crack this book out a year later while filming it so he could sue them? Why go through with this ridiculous and elaborate scenario when all he had to do was turn around and immediately flip it after slabbing as a first print for an immediate payoff?

Does filming yourself while you crack open slabbed books seem a little odd at first? Absolutely...but I believe him, as the other scenario makes absolutely no sense.

I'd say the Flaming guy should buy it because he likes to be the crazed, "look at me" attention-whore crusader whenever possible.

I like to call it 'honest & ethical'.

However, I realise that these are concepts beyond your comprehension, so I forgive your confusion. (thumbs u

However, I realise that these are concepts beyond your comprehension, so I forgive your confusion. (thumbs u

Due to this sort of commentary, it is my opinion that the moderators should ask this poster to remove himself from the Boards permanently.

Due to this sort of commentary, it is my opinion that the moderators should ask this poster to remove himself from the Boards permanently.

meh

Not sure whether you read the thread, but the first insult was hurled by your little friend (as can be seen by me being able to quote him).

Up until that point, it had been at least civil.

However, if you think I should simply shut up and allow him to hurl the insults...you don't know me well at all. (thumbs u

meh

How about for a couple of hours?