• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrong printing discovered in Returned PGX Graded Book- Do I have legal options?

430 posts in this topic

If the damaged happened in the slab, why wouldn't the original owner return the book to CGC and say, "Look-it, my book got damaged in the slab."

Irrelevant.

The original seller sold it with full disclosure and close up photos of the damage. His choice.

The buyer then attempted to sell it on without. Also his choice.

Just wondering whether this choice qualifies as 'underhanded', as this was the word being casually bandied about last night? (shrug)

I wasn't necessarily asking within the context of the situation here. Just in general.

I do agree with you here as I saw the original post where the book was sold and the damage highlighted.

Was it an underhanded act to sell the book without the same level of disclosure? Well, underhanded might be a strong word. I would call it neglectful.

You might have a point. hm

Although the conscious switch from 'post-slabbing damage' to 'overgraded' isn't really 'neglectful'? (shrug)

I'm the last person in the world that would defend PGX, so take this as you will.

My guess is that you sent a 3rd print in to PGX claiming that it was a 1st print. PGX, being the "experts" that they are, took you at your word and labeled it "1st Print".

You get the book back, and seeing that you fooled them, decide to video tape yourself opening the book, to reveal the 3rd print you knew was in there. Just to be able to pull some puzzy lawsuit scam on them to get them to pony up some money.

That's the only explanation as to why you *video taped* yourself opening the book. You KNEW you were trying to screw them.

I can't believe it, but I'm on PGX's side this time. The only thing they're guilty of is being dumbazzez, and that's nothing new. That's been proven many times before.

2c

I agree. This does not pass the litmus test. And, to quote someone wise, if it doesn't make sense, then it isn't true.

If the damaged happened in the slab, why wouldn't the original owner return the book to CGC and say, "Look-it, my book got damaged in the slab."

Irrelevant.

The original seller sold it with full disclosure and close up photos of the damage. His choice.

The buyer then attempted to sell it on without. Also his choice.

Just wondering whether this choice qualifies as 'underhanded', as this was the word being casually bandied about last night? (shrug)

I wasn't necessarily asking within the context of the situation here. Just in general.

I do agree with you here as I saw the original post where the book was sold and the damage highlighted.

Was it an underhanded act to sell the book without the same level of disclosure? Well, underhanded might be a strong word. I would call it neglectful.

You might have a point. hm

Although the conscious switch from 'post-slabbing damage' to 'overgraded' isn't really 'neglectful'? (shrug)

I would like to think of it as a judgment error in an attempt at capitalism that will be corrected and a lesson learned. :wishluck:

so none of you even know anything about him.

Finally we have come to the crux of the matter...we know diddly about MagicDan yet we are supposed to buy his story hook, line and sinker...I don't think so...

Just because PGX is a notoriously krappy business does not mean that, by default, MagicDan is correct in his claims...

Whether he is correct or not, he does not deserve ridicule at this point.

Sometimes that is just a way to weed out the truth...

Well, then that speaks volumes right there. Fundamental differences. I don't agree with that, and will never agree with that.

What grade would you give the Ultimate Spider Man #2?

Did you buy it directly from the seller that described the damage as post slab, and posted the photo of the crack by the staple, or from someone else?

I sell certified books at the certified grade whether I agree with the grade or not. I disagree with CGC in high grade quite often, but whether it be in my favor or not I sell what it is. My personal grade is a 9.4--but nobody cares what my grades are, that's why I send books in to be certified. I bought the book from that seller. I put it in my eBay store with a disclaimer that I disagree with the grade. Sounds just fine to me.

That's not the answer I was hoping to hear.

It might be semantics to you, but what you said is.." *In my opinion this book was overgraded."

When you don't disclose everything that you're aware of, it leaves you wide open to speculation that you are just covering your butt for when a buyer gets the book and says" WTF? There's damage to the spine that makes this book about a 9.0??"

It's not trimming or color touch, but it's pretty weak.

I've talked with Dan for a couple years now over at CPG, he's a straight shooter. Also, I'm aware my word holds little value here because I'm a 'newbie'. Regardless, ponder this... It's obvious 'Magic Dan' is not a full blown insufficiently_thoughtful_person, which one can gather from reading any of his well thought out posts. So if he 'gets lucky' and gets a 1st print grade by PGX on a 3rd print book WHY WOULD'NT HE JUST SELL IT IN THE PGX HOLDER INSTEAD OF THIS FIASCO!?! I'm sure everyone that calls bull mess on this guy can agree that money would be the primary motivating factor here. Why all this trouble when he could have EASILY just sold this book for big bucks on ebay?? Now that doesnt make sense, and that is why I believe what Dan is saying here. Why invent risks and the possibilty of losing all the value of the comic by decapsulating(is that a word) it when the money is right there waiting in a 7 day auction????? You guys should be aware of the unprofessional nature of PGX so why not document the slab cracking when you hear stories EVERYWHERE within the comics community about the potential of things exactly like this and similar to it occuring?

I hear ya Bobo dude, but I'm guessing most of of us are thinking "why cause a scene when there's really nothing to discuss"...cause at this point it's just one person saying something rather vague. It has nothing to do with either your or the Magic Dan's status here. Everyone here abuses everyone else here without prejudice. lol

If you want to know how to blow the lid off correctly, go to the thread about the FF that uncovered Ewert's trimming scam.

I've talked with Dan for a couple years now over at CPG, he's a straight shooter. Also, I'm aware my word holds little value here because I'm a 'newbie'. Regardless, ponder this... It's obvious 'Magic Dan' is not a full blown insufficiently_thoughtful_person, which one can gather from reading any of his well thought out posts. So if he 'gets lucky' and gets a 1st print grade by PGX on a 3rd print book WHY WOULD'NT HE JUST SELL IT IN THE PGX HOLDER INSTEAD OF THIS FIASCO!?! I'm sure everyone that calls bull mess on this guy can agree that money would be the primary motivating factor here. Why all this trouble when he could have EASILY just sold this book for big bucks on ebay?? Now that doesnt make sense, and that is why I believe what Dan is saying here. Why invent risks and the possibilty of losing all the value of the comic by decapsulating(is that a word) it when the money is right there waiting in a 7 day auction????? You guys should be aware of the unprofessional nature of PGX so why not document the slab cracking when you hear stories EVERYWHERE within the comics community about the potential of things exactly like this and similar to it occuring?

If MagicDan is so smart and altruistic then why didn't he use CGC in the first place ???... :screwy:

True, but he don't know any better at the time. That sort of logic is like saying everyone who didnt hang onto there comic collection from their early youth is and will always be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Or if you bought X-Force #1 whn it first came out you will always be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person because of it. Know what I mean?>

I hear ya Bobo dude, but I'm guessing most of of us are thinking "why cause a scene when there's really nothing to discuss"...cause at this point it's just one person saying something rather vague. It has nothing to do with either your or the Magic Dan's status here. Everyone here abuses everyone else here without prejudice. lol

If you want to know how to blow the lid off correctly, go to the thread about the FF that uncovered Ewert's trimming scam.

I think the brand new noob status is a factor in some of the comments. Shill accounts are frequently created just before the weekend when mods are off. Plus the board had recently been subjected to the matt48 "uncle left me some books" story. So there is a natural wariness regarding any noob with an apparent agenda.

Magic Dan has been a member of the cpg boards for a couple of years. He's not a prolific poster, many of his posts seem to be focused on grading. I do not recall having had an extended discussion with him.

Not really a great analogy since he obviously knows comics since he knew that the TMNT #1 was a 1st print and that grading it would increase it's value...

I would like to hear from the OP exactly why he chose PGX since they have not had a very good reputation that is pretty well known, (hence the reason they are no longer CGG), and CGC is the gold standard which is also pretty well known...

Not really a great analogy since he obviously knows comics since he knew that the TMNT #1 was a 1st print and that grading it would increase it's value...

I would like to here from the OP exactly why he chose PGX since they have not had a very good reputation that is pretty well known, (hence the reason they are no longer CGG), and CGC is the gold standard which is also pretty well known...

We all know that it is the gold standard.But some people will take the easy road to get their books graded.HG marvels graded by PGX because its handy.Many have told this person to send his books to CGC.He wont do it.I believe there are many people out there who are that way.

I would like to hear from the OP exactly why he chose PGX since they have not had a very good reputation that is pretty well known, (hence the reason they are no longer CGG), and CGC is the gold standard which is also pretty well known...

Yes he knew comics, but he did not know comic grading companies. Is'nt that gif sick! I can always watch that thing, amazing what you can steal off video game chat boards :grin:

link please :foryou:

Andy

fair enough, that is important info. I'm sure he didnt know any better at the time and liked the cheaper rates they offered. Remember he submitted this book in 2005

OK, I'll bite:

-why did he crack it out 3 years later?

-why did he have to video tape cracking it out (I've cracked a fair share of pgx/cgg slabs and never felt compelled to videotape it)?

-why did it take 3 years to figure out it was not the book he originally submitted?

-oh, and why, of all things to post as a noob, does he choose to post this as his first post?

Enquiring minds want to know.

hm