• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 Christmas Gift Exchange Display Thread

206 posts in this topic

Kudos to Senor Mac (thumbs u Mike hooked me up with a sweet CGC 9.8 copy of Uncanny X-Men 318 (scanned below). There was also a VHS tape of The Masters of Comic Book Art. He also helped me out with another little-known bronze gem which I posted on page 4 of this thread:

Raceway Appreciation Thread

Mike deserves a special award for his wrapping. He covered the sides of the box with Donald Duck comic strips and decorated the lid with Marvel characters/ads from bronze-age books. When my 2-year old son saw it under the tree, he thought it was the greatest box ever. He loves Donald so we read all the strips together and then we went over the lid together with him naming all the characters that he already knew and me teaching him some new ones like Silver Surfer and Nick Fury. It was a very fun moment with my boy. I now have the box in the closet of my comic room and will use it to store special treasures (like the comics that I have been getting my son for Christmas/birthdays).

Here is a scan of the lid.

2008Christmasbox.jpg

UncannyX-Men318CGC98W.jpg

I provided a list of a variety of ideas for my Secret Santa. Random modern Detective issues from '00 to '01, dig up some Valiant or Acclaim Turok, anything by Dave Stevens, etc. There were more, but those were a few of the ideas seized upon by Beau. Many thanks Beau!

The package was topped off by this beauty!

spidermanunlimited1.jpg

Fortunately it got better after the joke! doh!

A couple of those not-always-easy-to-find Detectives

detective756.jpg

detective752.jpg

Then Beau came up with some #1 issues by finding a tough Acclaim Turok #1 and a pair of copies of Planet with an awesome Stevens cover! :cloud9:

turokacclaim1.jpg

planetcomics1-f2.jpg

planetcomics1-f1.jpg

Holy instant duplicates!

Finally there came the modern slab that my not-so-secret Secret Santa had "forewarned" me would be a Winnipeg pedigree of a modern that wasn't anywhere on my "wish list" because I was hard to shop for! :tonofbricks:

It came with Beau's blessing to "sell it and buy something you like for your collection!" lol However I've advised him that it is the only named pedigree comic that I have in my collection so it does have that novelty appeal going for it, plus nice Starlin wraparound art!

warlordspecialedition2-b.jpgwarlordspecialedition2-f.jpg

I also enjoyed reading the Sunday comic pages used in wrapping the package. Bonus! (thumbs u

So what you are saying is that Beau got lazy and got you junk you didn't need? :P

(tsk)

I think any info a person provides for the holiday exchange is, as was famously said in Pirates, more like guidelines than rules. Or in comic terms, it's an idea list not a want list. The Winnipeg Warlock slab is a nice gift even if not in the vein of some of my ideas.

My poor exchange giftee didn't get sent anything off his idea list :sorry: but I hope he likes what I sent just the same. :gossip:

So what you are saying is that Beau got lazy and got you junk you didn't need? :P

(tsk)

I think any info a person provides for the holiday exchange is, as was famously said in Pirates, more like guidelines than rules. Or in comic terms, it's an idea list not a want list. The Winnipeg Warlock slab is a nice gift even if not in the vein of some of my ideas.

My poor exchange giftee didn't get sent anything off his idea list :sorry: but I hope he likes what I sent just the same. :gossip:

Translation: Karma for my pizz poor gift.

(tsk)

Looks like you secret Santa did great. Some stuff you wanted and some cool surprises. Looks like he crushed like Hulk the suggested spending guidelines. I'm afraid greggy is a bit bitter as his gift is still on it's way.

crybaby.jpg