• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 Christmas Gift Exchange Display Thread

206 posts in this topic

Kudos to Senor Mac (thumbs u Mike hooked me up with a sweet CGC 9.8 copy of Uncanny X-Men 318 (scanned below). There was also a VHS tape of The Masters of Comic Book Art. He also helped me out with another little-known bronze gem which I posted on page 4 of this thread:

Raceway Appreciation Thread

Mike deserves a special award for his wrapping. He covered the sides of the box with Donald Duck comic strips and decorated the lid with Marvel characters/ads from bronze-age books. When my 2-year old son saw it under the tree, he thought it was the greatest box ever. He loves Donald so we read all the strips together and then we went over the lid together with him naming all the characters that he already knew and me teaching him some new ones like Silver Surfer and Nick Fury. It was a very fun moment with my boy. I now have the box in the closet of my comic room and will use it to store special treasures (like the comics that I have been getting my son for Christmas/birthdays).

Here is a scan of the lid.

What a great box. Hmmm, not sure that sounded right, usually hear that in a strip joint. Must have taken a ton of work but a blast to create

So what you are saying is that Beau got lazy and got you junk you didn't need? :P

(tsk)

I think any info a person provides for the holiday exchange is, as was famously said in Pirates, more like guidelines than rules. Or in comic terms, it's an idea list not a want list. The Winnipeg Warlock slab is a nice gift even if not in the vein of some of my ideas.

My poor exchange giftee didn't get sent anything off his idea list :sorry: but I hope he likes what I sent just the same. :gossip:

Translation: Karma for my pizz poor gift.

lol

My SS situation was a little more complicated this year than in year's past. I ended up getting a substitute SS assignment around the time most SS had already shipped, so I made up a package and shipped it within a day or two, avoiding a situation where my giftee would have gotten stiffed.

So what you are saying is that Beau got lazy and got you junk you didn't need? :P

(tsk)

I think any info a person provides for the holiday exchange is, as was famously said in Pirates, more like guidelines than rules. Or in comic terms, it's an idea list not a want list. The Winnipeg Warlock slab is a nice gift even if not in the vein of some of my ideas.

My poor exchange giftee didn't get sent anything off his idea list :sorry: but I hope he likes what I sent just the same. :gossip:

Translation: Karma for my pizz poor gift.

lol

My SS situation was a little more complicated this year than in year's past. I ended up getting a substitute SS assignment around the time most SS had already shipped, so I made up a package and shipped it within a day or two, avoiding a situation where my giftee would have gotten stiffed.

:whatev::baiting:

Hello gang! I just returned home after visiting with my family for three days for Christmas. I'm glad that my recipient, GAFLASH, enjoyed his gifts. You guys didn't really think I'd send an original Marvel Mystery #4 did you? lol! I mean, I like to be generous and everything, but I'm not Donald Trump. :cry: It is a Flashback reprint from the 1970's. Sorry if I gave your heart a start when you opened the package, Lanier.

Here are the awesome items my Secret Santa, toro, sent me:

Battle Action #12

Battle Action #29

Battle Front #35

Vampirella #23

Vampirella #32

cgc-exchange.jpg

All books that I've never owned before and I absolutely love them! The Atlas war comics have some great art by Gene Colan, Syd Shores, John Romita, Mac Pakula and others, and the Vampirella mags are awesome as well! Number 23 has some spectacular art by Jeff Jones! Thanks a million, toro! Great books that I really love! Seriously!

Kudos to Senor Mac (thumbs u Mike hooked me up with a sweet CGC 9.8 copy of Uncanny X-Men 318 (scanned below). There was also a VHS tape of The Masters of Comic Book Art. He also helped me out with another little-known bronze gem which I posted on page 4 of this thread:

Raceway Appreciation Thread

Mike deserves a special award for his wrapping. He covered the sides of the box with Donald Duck comic strips and decorated the lid with Marvel characters/ads from bronze-age books. When my 2-year old son saw it under the tree, he thought it was the greatest box ever. He loves Donald so we read all the strips together and then we went over the lid together with him naming all the characters that he already knew and me teaching him some new ones like Silver Surfer and Nick Fury. It was a very fun moment with my boy. I now have the box in the closet of my comic room and will use it to store special treasures (like the comics that I have been getting my son for Christmas/birthdays).

Here is a scan of the lid.

2008Christmasbox.jpg

I'm glad you enjoyed it Steve. It actually feels really good, taking a pair of sissors to some old comics. I'm not sure why....but it does. This whole SS thing has been alot of fun and I'm glad to be a part of this community. Heres a couple diff shots of the box before it left my place. I may not be a Frank Frazetta.....but in the "creative gift wrapping world" I am legendary !! :grin:

PS. Time payments for that "other" item will be fine. Its a pretty rare book !!

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

My gifts arrived today from Ze-man :acclaim: :acclaim: :banana: :banana:

All I can say is wow. I really appreciated the books he sent and can't wait to start reading. Dracula stories and vampire lore in general has always been my favorite so this gift really made me happy. Below are photos of the books.

011.jpg

014.jpg

Not only that but in the box was a delicious snack to enjoy while I am reading....

015.jpg

And a piece of OA by Ellen.

Thank you very much for making my first Christmas on the boards special and I hope your family has a wonderful holiday and wish you an excellent new year.

016.jpg

My gifts arrived today from Ze-man :acclaim: :acclaim: :banana: :banana:

All I can say is wow. I really appreciated the books he sent and can't wait to start reading. Dracula stories and vampire lore in general has always been my favorite so this gift really made me happy. Below are photos of the books.

011.jpg

014.jpg

Not only that but in the box was a delicious snack to enjoy while I am reading....

015.jpg

And a piece of OA by Ellen.

Thank you very much for making my first Christmas on the boards special and I hope your family has a wonderful holiday and wish you an excellent new year.

016.jpg

You lucky SOB. I want a piece of OA by Ellen so badly.