• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?

153 posts in this topic

I wouldn't choose Action 1 simply because it doesn't represent the times at all. I would choose any random Schomburg war cover over Action 1 to answer this question.

hm It needs to have a superhero battling a machine gun packing German or Japanese duck in a graveyard with corpses coming up through the ground and a spaceship whizzing overhead with a fur-bikini-clad woman tied to the wing.

Edited by JohnT

For my money, Superman #14 is THE classic GA comic image. Tec 31 great but it's hard to argue how important the Man of Steel is to the hobby.

Even 50 years from now, Superman #14 will stand alone as perhaps the most memorable GA cover (even more recognizable than Action #1 among the general public). My 2c

212512491_26eb1bedef_b.jpg

GE

Mr. Escape, in the words of the nearly-immortal, nearly-bankrupt Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir"!

Best patriotic cover EVER.

I'd probably go with Cap #1 because it's such an iconic cover, but I really wish Schomburg had drawn it. I really don't like Kirby's work on that cover.

I've always thought it was more Simon than Kirby on that cover. The Bucky image is pure Kirby, but Cap looks like Simon to me.

But, hey, I'm am a worse artist spotter than Jack Selegue

Marvel Mystery Comics #9.

That's an excellent pick for a book that defines a GA Timely. I'd even throw Red Raven Comics #1 into the ring.

Now you wanna talk about a book that gets way to much credit.....

:baiting:

That's an excellent pick for a book that defines a GA Timely. I'd even throw Red Raven Comics #1 into the ring.

Bi*#%tch please ........ :whistle:

Bi*#%tch please ........ :whistle:

Watch it Hooksie! RR 1 is one fugly book. Thank gidget they dropped it after one issue.

I can think of two covers that really represent the golden-age.

First up, Mystery Men 3. The hero saving the lady in danger, classic artwork by one of the GA kings, Lou Fine

mysterymen3.jpg

The second one, I am sure a lot of people will disagree with, but for me, it is all about the golden-age, imagining you were helping the hero out even though you were just a kid. Couple that with Simon and Kirby and the signature GA yellow cover, and there you go

starspangled7.jpg

I can think of two covers that really represent the golden-age.

First up, Mystery Men 3. The hero saving the lady in danger, classic artwork by one of the GA kings, Lou Fine

mysterymen3.jpg

The second one, I am sure a lot of people will disagree with, but for me, it is all about the golden-age, imagining you were helping the hero out even though you were just a kid. Couple that with Simon and Kirby and the signature GA yellow cover, and there you go

starspangled7.jpg

Both excellent choices Greg. I'd like to have a copy of each in my collection

Sorry, JTMF, but (to me anyway) Superman #15 says it all. Why that cover doesn't get more love I will never know.

And this is a poor scan, doesn't show the colors well at all. :frustrated:

72004.jpg.df2192bda2240d197977344d96f29bc6.jpg

Edited by FUELMAN

Sorry, JTMF, but (to me anyway) Superman #15 says it all. Why that cover doesn't get more love I will never know.

The first Max Fleischer Supes cartoon I ever saw had a similar scenario in it. That cover always reminds me of that.

It was one of my favorite Superman cartoon episodes from the Fleischer series as well.