• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?

153 posts in this topic

Without reading the thread, my vote goes for Superman 1. The image oh him flying above Metropolis sums up what the GA brought us; Super humans who we believed could save the world/protect our town. It was the embodyment of what we wanted to be, and still to this day what kids across the world want to be. He stood the test of time and he's still as relevent as he was nearly 60 some years ago.

Can't argue with a girl when she's got a point (thumbs u

I haven't read the entire thread either :o

but, along similar lines, to me, Action 1 and Tec 27 embody/represent the GA...

for much the same line of reasoning... it ushered in the Age of the Superhero, and those first Iconic appearances forever will affect how I view both collecting, and to a smaller extent, life itself (thumbs u

Action 1's cover is too atypical of other superhero and war comics of the GA, so it definately does NOT get my vote.

I think almost ANY issue of All Winners is a good example with multiple superheroes battling the Axis with a little Bucky bondage thrown in for good measure.

My vote goes to Pep Comics #22, December 1941. The question wasn't "which cover" it was "which book". The fact that you had a superhero on the cover protecting the USA from the Axis powers (both Japanese and German swastika on the boot) 2 months before the United States entered the war (book was on the stands in Oct '41) plus the fact that Archie Andrews made his debut. I mean who would ever suspect that wholesome little Archie, Betty and Jughead would be in the back of a book with that cover. That's like finding a Donald Duck story in an EC Comic...

Now if we're talking which COVER represents the golden age, I'd go with Superman #17 or an early Marvel Mystery...

To try and inject a little objectivity here...

A systematic approach might not be unreasonable - at least to pare the list down a bit.

Start by identifying the things that "define" or represent the GA, then identify covers that have those qualities, then identify those that have the qualities most well-represented.

I'd say:

- Superhero

- patriotism - not necessarily a WWII tie in, but it doesn't hurt

- some sort of childish element (IMHO the GA is partly defined by comics focused toward children, not adults)

- and an element of creativity - the GA being a wild frontier for experimentation of ideas.

A systematic approach might not be unreasonable - at least to pare the list down a bit.

Start by identifying the things that "define" or represent the GA, then identify covers that have those qualities, then identify those that have the qualities most well-represented.

I'd say:

- Superhero

- some sort of childish element (IMHO the GA is partly defined by comics focused toward children, not adults)

- and an element of creativity - the GA being a wild frontier for experimentation of ideas.

If we could add in a "going too far" element for some of the early '50s horror comics, that would be good too :)

I'd say:

- Superhero

If we could add in a "going too far" element for some of the early '50s horror comics, that would be good too :)

might be a long list! lol

This one represents well.

Like Detective and Action among others, it was a comic with a variety of stories - which was more typical than the solo character comics. It has a detective story, an adventure story, a funny animal story, and a superhero story. It is a key with Woody Woodpeckers 1st appearance so there is also Movie tie-in/animation crossover. It is a flag cover and a patriotic cover. And it has WWII appeal with the planes. It was the last issue of a series and the first funny animal cover prior to switching over to new Funnies (another common aspect of GA comics was titles that ended)

And it is politically incorrect with 'lil 8-ball.

Show me a comic that has all that.

fun64.jpg

Like Detective and Action among others, it was a comic with a variety of stories - which was more typical than the solo character comics. It has a detective story, an adventure story, a funny animal story, and a superhero story. It is a key with Woody Woodpeckers 1st appearance so there is also Movie tie-in/animation crossover. It is a flag cover and a patriotic cover. And it has WWII appeal with the planes. It was the last issue of a series and the first funny animal cover prior to switching over to new Funnies (another common aspect of GA comics was titles that ended)

fun64.jpg

Great candidate for the reasons mentioned - but also illustrates the problem with trying to include too many elements - as the impact of any one feels diminished. I'd go with the consensus that a superior Superman or Schomburg Timely cover - while not inclusive of all the aspects of the GA - has the dynamic and iconic imagery that screams Golden Age.

fun64.jpg

Great candidate for the reasons mentioned - but also illustrates the problem with trying to include too many elements - as the impact of any one feels diminished. I'd go with the consensus that a superior Superman or Schomburg Timely cover - while not inclusive of all the aspects of the GA - has the dynamic and iconic imagery that screams Golden Age.

man oh man I have got to get one of those!

For me, it's not going to be a schomburg cover, they are just too all over the place to sum it up. They focus on the war & many many details, but not so much on impact. I think an Iconic cover, a simple and magical image that sums up what it is all about is so much more powerful. Supes #1 or #14 come to mind for me.

Edited by shiverbones

I'd say:

- Superhero

Good idea.

Although I love early Schomburg above all other GA cover artists, we are looking for a book, not just a cover...and, well...Schomburg's WW 2 covers only covered 1/2 the 1940's so they can't be representative of the entire Golden Age.

The book IMO needs to be something that transcends just the early 40's...

So definitely superhero, definitely patriotic, childish (in a good way) is a must and creative.

I would like to nominate several Whiz Comics and Captain Marvel Adventures issues but I can't decide which ones. Captain Marvel was obviously the biggest hero of the Golden Age until he was taken down unfairly and he embodies every element of the Golden Age. We should at the very least vote down the best books from these two titles to compete with any others in my opinion.

I would also strongly nominate Marvel Mystery #9 for obvious reasons. Very key, classic cover, classic story, classic artists...not dated to the early 40's as many other books are but rather way ahead of it's time.

What do you guys think?

I'd say:

- Superhero

Good idea.

Although I love early Schomburg above all other GA cover artists, we are looking for a book, not just a cover...and, well...Schomburg's WW 2 covers only covered 1/2 the 1940's so they can't be representative of the entire Golden Age.

The book IMO needs to be something that transcends just the early 40's...

So definitely superhero, definitely patriotic, childish (in a good way) is a must and creative.

I would like to nominate several Whiz Comics and Captain Marvel Adventures issues but I can't decide which ones. Captain Marvel was obviously the biggest hero of the Golden Age until he was taken down unfairly and he embodies every element of the Golden Age. We should at the very least vote down the best books from these two titles to compete with any others in my opinion.

I would also strongly nominate Marvel Mystery #9 for obvious reasons. Very key, classic cover, classic story, classic artists...not dated to the early 40's as many other books are but rather way ahead of it's time.

What do you guys think?

I love Fawcetts, CM in particular. but if I'm gonna chose one to go up against Supe 14 or 17 it's going to be a Raboy Master (probably #27).

For me, it's not going to be a schomburg cover, they are just too all over the place to sum it up. They focus on the war & many many details, but not so much on impact. I think an Iconic cover, a simple and magical image that sums up what it is all about is so much more powerful. Supes #1 or #14 come to mind for me.

I always like Sups 24.