• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?

153 posts in this topic

This idea came up in another thread -- seemed worthy of its own. (Kinda like when Joanie Loves Chachi spun off from Happy Days :P )

So, with the time frame including the Atom Age, 1938 - 1955 ( makes it tougher to pick ), which book would you say epitomizes the single best representation of the entire Golden Age of Comics, and why???

I don't think there is one book that can encompass the entire range you are talking about...

You could conceivably come up with one book for the Golden Age (1938-1945)... pick your favourite war cover

Atom Age (1947-1955)... pick your favourite horror/crime/western/romance cover

These two ages are quite disparate in content, in direction, and in style. I don't think there is any one book that represents both well...

Edited by Cimm

I don't think there is one book that can encompass the entire range you are talking about...

You could conceivably come up with one book for the Golden Age (1938-1945)... pick your favourite war cover

Atom Age (1947-1955)... pick your favourite horror/crime/western/romance cover

These two ages are quite disparate in content, in direction, and in style. I don't think there is any one book that represents both well...

I have to agree with this - the typical comic book of 1943 looked nothing like the typical comic book of 1953 - even when the genre is unchanged.

I agree that any random Schomburg Timely with Cap, Subby and the Human Torch battling Japs or Nazis epitomizes the war era - since the war dominated nearly all genres at the time ( and even showed up in Funny Animal books) - and the war era is so directly associated with the Golden Age - that's as close as one can get to the epitome of a Golden Age book. For the Atom Age - I'd have to go with a horror book (don't know what one) - as at the peak of of their popularity - all sorts of genres experimented with "horror" covers and themes.

Superman 14 or 17. Classic iconic poses, the defining character of the era, ultra-symbolic/patriotic/propaganda in the content.

And I'm adjusting your time frame to 1938-45 as I think that's a better definition of "Golden Age".

The first Timely I'd consider would be Cap 1, but no way does that beat Supes 17.

I have to agree with this - the typical comic book of 1943 looked nothing like the typical comic book of 1953 - even when the genre is unchanged.

I agree....but that's what should / could make this so interesting. All the Genre's that made up the GA, and you have to pick the 1 book that best represents the entire Era.

I guess it depends how one interprets the question. It could be is as simple as Action 1.

Fixed it for you. (thumbs u

Supersnipe.....

He epitomizes the kid/collector/dreamer that was able to enjoy the Golden Age of comics in it's prime when the world was at war, and his parents had all the worries....he could dream of being the hero.......

We all dream that we could have had the opportunity to pluck these funny books from the stands ....

71974.jpg.40552ba8e2ad7f1a9339e6f7efb45393.jpg

For my money, Superman #14 is THE classic GA comic image. Tec 31 great but it's hard to argue how important the Man of Steel is to the hobby.

Even 50 years from now, Superman #14 will stand alone as perhaps the most memorable GA cover (even more recognizable than Action #1 among the general public). My 2c

212512491_26eb1bedef_b.jpg

GE

I guess it depends how one interprets the question. It could be is as simple as Action 1.

Fixed it for you. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u