• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?

153 posts in this topic

Superman #14

Exactly! That's what I'm talking about. :applause:

:acclaim:

Does anyone have a copy to post? I love that book! Iconic Americana.

there are many great suggestions and covers in this thread, and it got me thinking about which books/covers are seen consistently in print ads either in Overstreet, or other comic collecting type books, grading guides, dealer ads, that sort of thing.

sure, you always see the big key books, Action 1, Tec 27, Bat 1, Supes 1, AF15, etc.

but those are the KEYS, so naturally they are going to be shown a lot, but what NON-key books get the attention ?

I constantly see Superman #14 represented in these ads, it's on the cover of the book store edition of the OS grading guide this past year (38th edition), also on OS comic book grading guide 2nd edition, I remember the 9.2 copy in a CGC ad recently, it's been a statue, poster, clock, refrigerator magnet, pillow case, etc. and most collectors here seem to like it.

It's impossible to sum up the GA in one book, because it was so many great and exciting things, but Superman #14 is definitely a candidate for that honor.

P.S. I would also put Detective 31, and Supes 1, 11, 17 & 24 in that grouping.

Superman14newlabel.jpg

Edited by thedude

Although I love early Schomburg above all other GA cover artists, we are looking for a book, not just a cover...and, well...Schomburg's WW 2 covers only covered 1/2 the 1940's so they can't be representative of the entire Golden Age.

Roy, for some of us the Golden Age ended in 1945.

Superman #14

I think we have three copies posted now, but I'm always looking for an excuse to post mine (plus it gets my vote).

supey14a.jpg

Let me offer another suggestion...how about a cover without a recognizable super-hero? Instead, it features one of the generic spandex-clad protagonists of the GA that have long since died off, that no one but a hard-core comic geek would even recognize.

Yet, the action of the cover is both striking, and instantly identifiable to even the most uninformed member of the general public.

With less emphasis on the character, and more on the actual cover....I would suggest...

Startling27NFC92.jpg

Superman #14

Here is mine - not as nice as the ones already posted, but an important part of my collection nonetheless.

superman14-1-1.jpg

a great book!

HT #12 has a horror element to it that somewhat represents what would become the norm in the 50s.

Yeah, that is the issue I was referring to.

WWII + Bondage + Going to far (burning arm)

If only it had little bunny rabbit cartoon characters in the background :sorry:

dozens of others just like it.

Very informative, thanks. meh

what do you want, a comprehensive list? Just look at any other Schomburg cover.

"Any" other? Really? Oddly enough, my Freckles and Dear Beatrice Fairfax covers are missing the odd Axis villain getting pummeled.

One of the reasons I suggested the cover was because a non-comic acquaintance of mine asked to see my collection a month or so ago. Even after looking at 40+ books, many of them Schomburg war covers, they let out a sincere "wow" when they saw this book. Not sure if it was the composition, the bright vivid colors, the action sequence, or the combination of all the various elements, but it was the only book that really invoked a verbal response from a non-comic geek. Considering the thread is geared toward public perception, I thought it would be an appropriate nominee based on at least one layman's experience.

Sure, to you or I, its a Schomburg "knock-out" cover not unlike dozens of others. But to someone who hasn't seen a few hundred Schommy covers, I think it stands as a pretty cool example of the his art and the era.

I agree with those that say it should be a Superman cover. I realize that Captain Marvel was as popular, or more popular, back in the day, but these days a small % of the population would even be aware of him. To just about everyone, Superman is instantly recognizable.

Action #1 or Superman #1 would work. #14 is THE patriotic cover, and #17 works well because it's not only war-themed, but illustrates both theatres of the war. I'm also a huge fan of #18.

I agree with those that say it should be a Superman cover. I realize that Captain Marvel was as popular, or more popular, back in the day, but these days a small % of the population would even be aware of him. To just about everyone, Superman is instantly recognizable.

Action #1 or Superman #1 would work. #14 is THE patriotic cover, and #17 works well because it's not only war-themed, but illustrates both theatres of the war. I'm also a huge fan of #18.

Jeff, don't you think that the book chosen should represent the Golden Age as it was back then and not how we view the Golden Age today which is quite differently? I think there are many CM books that should contend personally. He was representative of pretty much an entire decade.

I would also nominate Action #23 BTW.

:sumo: