• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?

153 posts in this topic

It absolutely has to be a superhero cover....and it has to be timeless even though the cover is dated...not that I don't like the non superhero covers but really....the GA was the GA because of the hero.

R.

It absolutely has to be a superhero cover....and it has to be timeless even though the cover is dated...not that I don't like the non superhero covers but really....the GA was the GA because of the hero.

R.

I agree. It aslo absolutely has to be Superman or Batman. They started the whole thing, and are the true icons of the age. National media could not care less about the other heroes. Nor would they mean anything to the non comic buying public

If it were a Silver Age question, then Spidey.

R.

I agree. It aslo absolutely has to be Superman or Batman. They started the whole thing, and are the true icons of the age. National media could not care less about the other heroes. Nor would they mean anything to the non comic buying public

You know Bill, it could even be a Captain Marvel or a Timely Schomburg. There are just so many incredible covers..Whiz #1, 12, 13, Mystic #4, Daring Mystery #3,4,5, Marvel Mystery #5, 9, Captain Marvel Adventures #1, 2....just so many covers....they are all timeless and reminiscent of the era.

We should somehow get a list of nominations together and then vote on it.

R.

You know Bill, it could even be a Captain Marvel or a Timely Schomburg. There are just so many incredible covers..Whiz #1, 12, 13, Mystic #4, Daring Mystery #3,4,5, Marvel Mystery #5, 9, Captain Marvel Adventures #1, 2....just so many covers....they are all timeless and reminiscent of the era.

A poll :cloud9: ...if I could have any GA comic for free, with the condition that I could never sell it......Captain America # 1.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

R.

A poll :cloud9: ...if I could have any GA comic for free, with the condition that I could never sell it......Captain America # 1.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That should be the one Timely on the list. It has a strong chance of winning.

R.

From OUR point of view yes. But Steve's query related to a national non-comic media source, for the general public.

I can't see them selecting one of the busy, or gory covers that many of us find so interesting. The simpler the better when dealing with the masses. And the early, simple, covers of Action, Superman, Batman, etc, and yes even Captain America #1 would translate better to the masses. They impart the nascent essence of the fledgling artform of superhero golden age

Without reading the thread, my vote goes for Superman 1. The image oh him flying above Metropolis sums up what the GA brought us; Super humans who we believed could save the world/protect our town. It was the embodyment of what we wanted to be, and still to this day what kids across the world want to be. He stood the test of time and he's still as relevent as he was nearly 60 some years ago.

I'd probably go with Cap #1 because it's such an iconic cover, but I really wish Schomburg had drawn it. I really don't like Kirby's work on that cover.

I agree Jeff, but I still like the Kirby-c Cap 1. Schomburg just had a way of pulling you in with his artwork...Although I like the Cap 1 cover, I'd say hands down that the Schomburg-c to All Select 1 has amazing cover appeal. I can look at AS 1 all day long and never tire of it...whereas, Cap 1 is cool but doesn't hit me as hard...

What other covers did Schomburg do when Cap 1 hit the press (12-20-40)?

Edited by Primetime

R.

Agree with you on the Silver Age - but I think Captain America is a fairly iconic GA character - even with the general public - he's associated with WW2- his shield was a popular t-shirt/sweat shirt design in the 60s/70s - his name has long been a popular nick name for any gung-ho personality - and he's had a recent revival of interest due to the Brubaker story line.

Without reading the thread, my vote goes for Superman 1. The image oh him flying above Metropolis sums up what the GA brought us; Super humans who we believed could save the world/protect our town. It was the embodyment of what we wanted to be, and still to this day what kids across the world want to be. He stood the test of time and he's still as relevent as he was nearly 60 some years ago.

Can't argue with a girl when she's got a point (thumbs u