• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?

153 posts in this topic

Sorry, JTMF, but (to me anyway) Superman #15 says it all. Why that cover doesn't get more love I will never know.

And this is a poor scan, doesn't show the colors well at all. :frustrated:

Most definitely an underrated cover - and undershared! Thank for posting it.

Here's my thoughts on why I chose Action 1.

Prior to start of GA = no costumed superhero, tiny comics industry

After GA starts = costumed superhero, big comics industry, worldwide cultural impact that continues 70 years later

If you only can choose one book then you pick the book that started it, that created the archetype, and that has him on the cover.

The are many other factors that you could talk about for GA but when you select a book for one of these it's like picking a swim team and choosing someone other than Michael Phelps .

WWII = nit

GGA = nit

Precode horror, much as it pains me to type this = nit

etc.

After GA starts = costumed superhero, big comics industry, worldwide cultural impact that continues 70 years later

If you only can choose one book then you pick the book that started it, that created the archetype, and that has him on the cover.

The are many other factors that you could talk about for GA but when you select a book for one of these it's like picking a swim team and choosing someone other than Michael Phelps .

WWII = nit

GGA = nit

etc.

That's a great choice for one that set it all off - and I believe that is one of the special things about Action 1. But I'm not sure those make it the best choice as the representative of the era.

I agree with the choice of Action 1. There are many different niches (and sub-eras) within the GA, but the one thing in common amongst GA comic books is that comic books are fun. And the comic that represents that fun is the book that catapulted the medium, Action 1.

This challenge is more like a Time Capsule: You've only got room for one book, and that example has to best explain the entire Golden Age. Action Comics #1 is only truley unique because of the appearance of Superman.......But it doesn't cover the rest. It shows the beginning of the Superhero genre, but doesn't capture the over-all feel of the Golden Age fully. Just MHO. (shrug)

WWII = nit

GGA = nit

etc.

That's a great choice for one that set it all off - and I believe that is one of the special things about Action 1. But I'm not sure those make it the best choice as the representative of the era.

My point is that they key distinguishing factor of GA is the advent of the costumed superhero (I say that even though I think folks know I collect far more than just SH comics). To me it's so much bigger than simply different types of story genres (GGA, romance) or themes (WWII) as those existed in other media and by picking a book other than Action 1 you're making a less important point than you should and dilute the impact of the book you've chosen.

Not that we should get to worked up over a hypothetical gross simplification as we're hardly likely to have to make this choice at all, much less in a life-or-death situation.

It's all in how you define "representation".

You are writing an article for USA Today about comic books, and 3 million people will see it ---- and 2,999,080 of them know nothing about comic books, but have heard of them of course, and only know they exist. You are defining the "ages", and the Golden Age has to be referenced, with 1 comic pictured and written about in your article...........

(perhaps this should have been in my original post :gossip:)

PS ---you're the Man, Dan......Bedrock has told me so about 6+ months ago, so I am a big fan now (thumbs u

It's all in how you define "representation".

You are writing an article for USA Today about comic books, and 3 million people will see it ---- and 2,999,0000+ of them know nothing about comic books, but have heard of them of course, and only know they exist. You are defining the "ages", and the Golden Age has to be referenced, with 1 comics pictured in your article...........

(perhaps this should have been in my original post :gossip:)

I'd might go with Superman #17 in that case - the iconic hero of the Golden Age - and a WW2 cover - the event that had the biggest impact on comics in the GA - either that or a Schomburg Captain America WW2 cover.

Marvel Mystery Comics #9.

That's an excellent pick for a book that defines a GA Timely. I'd even throw Red Raven Comics #1 into the ring.

Now you wanna talk about a book that gets way to much credit.....

:baiting:

Bi*#%tch please ........ :whistle:

lol:applause: