• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama ASM comic $60 bucks a piece

378 posts in this topic

so my wife saw the piece on CNN about the ASM comic with Obama on the cover and was convinced we needed to get a bunch of copies because they will be worth big time money some day. i laughed and told her it's just a manufactured collectible and i would grab one from the dollar box at a con a few months after it hit the stands.

today she decides to call our LCS to put a few copies on hold. the guy tells her he will hold only one copy per person but they are $60 a piece.

:o

I keep getting phone calls from people looking to buy this book. I think they are getting my name off the Internet. I haven't bought a new comic book since 1983, so I doubt I have one in my collection...

I started a thread on this the other day, and my questions were how much when signed copies hit eBay!???!!! I know Pres Obama will sign some, and they will be very cool collectables and keepsakes, even if you didn't vote for the man.

V/R,

Mike

This goes to show that history always repeat itself and greed is always a person_without_enough_empathy. Is it really necessary for Marvel to drag all the speculators back into the hobby again? Sure this will get some press like Cap 25 did, but which group of audience is this really targeting? Yes the speculators...the group of folks that have no business coming into the hobby in the first place...the ones that are known to ruin every market they get into....the ones responsible for the great market crash of the late 90's. Seriously this is deja vu all over again with all them variant covers, dealer incentives, and books selling way above cover price even before they get released. The market has totally reverted back to the early 90's and I don't see a good future for it. I'm glad to see that I've made the right choice to stop buying any new comic releases and I'll definitely gonna be sitting this one out.

And the sad part is, the market isn't even 10% what it was in 1993! At least then, there was a longggggggg way to fall.

Now, though...the "cushion" doesn't even exist.

Now I don't necessarily agree with this. Yes Marvel saw a marketing opportunity and knew that they could probably sell lots of copies of this book. But the idea behind this is to get people who have never read a comic, or used to read comics and have stopped for whatever reason, to pick up a copy of Amazing Spider-man

Come on, if that was actually their intent, there would be no reason for a limited, variant edition. Just print a million of these things and set them loose.

Instead, Marvel artificially limited supply on that Obama cover, hyped it up and drove speculation rampant, and they'd have to be total and complete maroons to not comprehend what would happen.

Ayup.

I remember the Green Lantern drug issues that everybody hated.............GL 76 is so revered now.

Did you really mean to write this about the award-winning, immediately reprinted in mini-TPB, critically acclaimed series?

Hi JC...................GL 76 was controversial. If you lived in the bible belt your parents did not want you to read about drugs since that might tempt you...............ha ha .The people who did buy the book read it to death. Thus good luck finding high grade. The TPB was printed because of the low print run of this issue and the witch burnings that made copies scarce. I know I bought 3 of them and bagged and boarded them and have stored them in the basement ever since..........I was able to see the future.............like you :hi:

I remember the Green Lantern drug issues that everybody hated.............GL 76 is so revered now.

GL #76 (and every other Adams comic) lost value in the mid 80's, as they fell out of favor. People had simply moved on to something else (in this case, B&Ws.) Adams books had been hyped out the gills for 10 years+ at that point, and people were tired.

They didn't recover that lost value until the mid 90's.

And unless I'm high on crack, there is no mention of drugs in Green Lantern #76.

And TPB? in 1970...? And "low print run"....? I don't have the figures in front of me, but I daresay there were 3 times as many GL #76s printed as the highest selling book this month.

Could be wrong.

Collectors of presidential material will be in on it, of course. But, again, much of the presidential items of the past are valuable because at the time very few people saved items, and rarer still were kept items that were in nice condition. Every ASM Obama book will be in nice condition. Those buying this book with the inclination of "collectors item", non-comic fan buyers, out number the normal readership most likely. When that happens, it can be nothing else besides a manufactured collectible.

This book will not be rare. The majority will be 9.4-9.8 copies. That is 2 of the 3 principle items right there. The only other one is "demand", which I have no confidence will remain high several months from now...and defnitely not several years from now.

I don't think anyone could have summed up the damned near entire copper/modern collecting mindset as succinctly.

Just a little information about modern presidential items, my grandfather got rolls of 1964 Kennedy half dollars that are worthless and they are over 40 years old. the other presidential stuff that is worth money came out in a time that people didn`t collect the stuff.

Well. They're worth about 1/3 the spot price of silver per ounce. ;) That's more than 50 cents at least! :)

Collectors of presidential material will be in on it, of course. But, again, much of the presidential items of the past are valuable because at the time very few people saved items, and rarer still were kept items that were in nice condition. Every ASM Obama book will be in nice condition. Those buying this book with the inclination of "collectors item", non-comic fan buyers, out number the normal readership most likely. When that happens, it can be nothing else besides a manufactured collectible.

This book will not be rare. The majority will be 9.4-9.8 copies. That is 2 of the 3 principle items right there. The only other one is "demand", which I have no confidence will remain high several months from now...and defnitely not several years from now.

I don't think anyone could have summed up the damned near entire copper/modern collecting mindset as succinctly.

Just a little information about modern presidential items, my grandfather got rolls of 1964 Kennedy half dollars that are worthless and they are over 40 years old. the other presidential stuff that is worth money came out in a time that people didn`t collect the stuff.

Well. They're worth about 1/3 the spot price of silver per ounce. ;) That's more than 50 cents at least! :)

My grandfather told me he bought into the hype, buy these Kennedy half dollars! he is the greatest President ever and here we are almost 45 years later and these are worth a little over face value,thats just the 1964`s, don`t even ask about the ones that were made after 1964, he`s stuck with them also.

My grandfather told me he bought into the hype, buy these Kennedy half dollars he is the greatest President ever and here we are almost 45 years later and these are worth a little over face value,thats just the 1964`s, don`t even ask about the ones that were made after 1964, he`s stuck with them also.

My parents bought these to and still have them!

My grandfather told me he bought into the hype, buy these Kennedy half dollars he is the greatest President ever and here we are almost 45 years later and these are worth a little over face value,thats just the 1964`s, don`t even ask about the ones that were made after 1964, he`s stuck with them also.

Just so you know, 1964 Kennedy halves are made with 90% silver, are currently worth around 7x face value ($3.50 each). 1965-70 halves are made with 40% and they're worth approximately 3x face ($1.50 each).

My 2c

Andy

Just so you know, 1964 Kennedy halves are made with 90% silver, are currently worth around 7x face value ($3.50 each). 1965-70 halves are made with 40% and they're worth approximately 3x face ($1.50 each).

My 2c

Andy

And according to a site I just checked, 50c in 1964 would be the equivalent of about $3.31 now, so they've just about beaten inflation! Just about :grin:

Did you really mean to write this about the award-winning, immediately reprinted in mini-TPB, critically acclaimed series?

Hi JC...................GL 76 was controversial. If you lived in the bible belt your parents did not want you to read about drugs since that might tempt you...............ha ha .The people who did buy the book read it to death. Thus good luck finding high grade. The TPB was printed because of the low print run of this issue and the witch burnings that made copies scarce. I know I bought 3 of them and bagged and boarded them and have stored them in the basement ever since..........I was able to see the future.............like you :hi:

GL #76 (and every other Adams comic) lost value in the mid 80's, as they fell out of favor. People had simply moved on to something else (in this case, B&Ws.) Adams books had been hyped out the gills for 10 years+ at that point, and people were tired.

They didn't recover that lost value until the mid 90's.

And unless I'm high on crack, there is no mention of drugs in Green Lantern #76.

And TPB? in 1970...? And "low print run"....? I don't have the figures in front of me, but I daresay there were 3 times as many GL #76s printed as the highest selling book this month.

Could be wrong.

Oh, without a doubt there were many more GL #76 printed. But over the course of 30 years, many of them are destroyed, many are trashed and only a small number have remained in high grade. So, even with a print run of 3x that of this Spidey book, there are far fewer 9.6 and 9.8 copies. The avg grade of a GL #76 is probably a 5.0 or so. The avg of this Spidey book is probably 9.6, and will remain in the 9.0+ region for the next 30 years unlike GL #76. If you want to make your ASM book rare though, toss it around a little bit and make it a 5.0-6.0 book. Then it will be a truly rare since barely any of them are that low in grade. :grin:

I went to my LCS yesterday and all they received was the regular Spidey cover. They did not received any Obama covers. I put down my name on their waiting list for three of these Obama covers (at cover price) when they come in next week. Do you guys think that next week's books will be a second printing and so will be less valuable?

(shrug)

I went to my LCS yesterday and all they received was the regular Spidey cover. They did not received any Obama covers. I put down my name on their waiting list for three of these Obama covers (at cover price) when they come in next week. Do you guys think that next week's books will be a second printing and so will be less valuable?

(shrug)

Yes and yes..

(shrug)

Let us know if 'suddenly' next week your LCS have some at a higher price tag !?!

I've seen it happen, especially during the 'Death' of Superman days and with the

ASM 911 cover.

Just bought my copy from a LCS. $10, limited one per customer. He was out faster than Ben Johnson on steroids. My copy's on eBay now, 1 day sale. :wishluck:

Andy

Happy and a bit ashamed to say that my copy just ended and sold for $135. :o